LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-25-2012, 03:20 AM   #21
Ruiceara

I think it was completely experimental for her. Maybe not the genre as a whole, but definitely for her.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #22
r5YOPDyk

Oh yeah, if we mean for Tori personally, then yes, I'd agree it was experimental to some degree. I misunderstood.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #23
Fetowip

Addressing the OP, "Glory of the 80s" was the first time something seemed a bit off.
I'd forgotten that song even exists Yeah, agree.

Hmmm,maybe,Fori Moments Per Release:

(and I don't mean these ARE Foriesque,just the closest thing to it)

Little Earthquakes: China
UTP: Past The Mission
BFP: Putting The Damage On (ouch, harsh judgement)
Choirgirl: Jackie's Strength
TVAB: Glory Of The 80s, 1000 Oceans

(can't fairly include SLG as she didn't write them)

I hated 1000 Oceans the first time I heard it, but I've come to like it a bit more now - solely for the "I'm aware what the rules are,but you know that I will run..." part. Saves it. Just about.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 AM   #24
Effofqueeno

Fori didn't arrive for me until 1000 Oceans. I wouldn't describe any other song during the Atlantic era as Fori-penned though.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #25
GeorgeEckland

I thought Glory of the 80s really worked though. It was very successful in what it was trying to be, whereas Police Yourself or whatever it's called is an embarrassingly bad failed attempt at a specific type of song/sound.

ETA: And I don't think Got80S is cheesy in any way!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #26
Nopayof

I am a Glory of the '80s partisan too. Fuck the haters! I love the wobbly swooshy blips and maracas and electronic harpsichord. Fori would never allow for such a thing. Or if she did, it would be mixed very poorly. And probably feature a cowbell!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #27
GinaGomesz

Fori didn't arrive for me until 1000 Oceans. I wouldn't describe any other song during the Atlantic era as Fori-penned though.
Same. I read where she said Mark would ask her to play "that oceans song" for him during the time right after his father passed away. So while I don't like the Fori influence, a part of me understands why she put it on the record.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #28
Antelpebabe

Northern Lad

Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #29
MaickiP

I think it's unfair to label China as Fori-ish. It doesn't have any of the characteristics that usually get cited as the faults in post Atlantic work. I know it's not popular and I admit to being biased in its favour, but I'll at least mount a pedantic defense to say whatever reasons people dislike it for, it isn't sung in baby voice, or about how wonderful Husband is, or in a bland key, and it's a sincere non-disguised expression of a "negative" emotion, sung with clarity, strength and fragility. China rocks. All be it slowly.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #30
chuecfafresslds

I can't imagine in what ways Pandora's Aquarium is fori-esque. I've gone a little cool on Tori of late, but it came on shuffle as I was walking a couple of days ago, and I went 'you know, this is really an excellent song, just excellent.' If Choirgirl has a fori moment (and it may not?), I'd nominate Northern Lad.
Definitely. Pandora is incredible. I randomly put it on my running mix yesterday, and it's just pure awesomeness. I personally don't think Fori appeared until ADP...though there are certainly some questionable moments on TBK.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
GinaGomesz

I think it's unfair to label China as Fori-ish. It doesn't have any of the characteristics that usually get cited as the faults in post Atlantic work. I know it's not popular and I admit to being biased in its favour, but I'll at least mount a pedantic defense to say whatever reasons people dislike it for, it isn't sung in baby voice, or about how wonderful Husband is, or in a bland key, and it's a sincere non-disguised expression of a "negative" emotion, sung with clarity, strength and fragility. China rocks. All be it slowly.
Yes to ALL of this.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #32
ZIDouglas

China is more Fori than all the songs of ADP together.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #33
r5YOPDyk

Care to extrapolate in light of everything Pete just said?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #34
sueplydup

1000 Oceans is not Fori. It's beautiful.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #35
Nopayof

I like China and 1,000 Oceans, honest. They're just so...fori.

China is more Fori than all the songs of ADP together.
hardcore.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #36
ZIDouglas

Well, to start, I think (or I want to think, still haven't figured that out) that the baby voice is because her voice has changed and that's how she feels more comfortable. It's pretty much what happened to Joni Mitchell, but in Joni's case her deeper voice is great and the baby voice is annoying. My point is, I (want to?) think that Tori doesn't WANT to sing like that. That's just her voice now, and that's the best she can do. Yes, I know sometimes she pulls out the voice she had twenty years ago, but c'mon, those are exceptions. So, to start, I think it's unfair to use the baby voice as something to consider to declare is there's Tori or Fori. (Though I agree that some songs really sucks because of the baby voice).

China, in first place, has the most horrible bridge ever written. That yodeling that she does totally ruins the song. It reminds me the "yeah yeah yeah yeah YEAAAAAAAAH" that Steven Tyler makes in "I don't wanna miss a thing". Coz that's China for me: a song that could've been written by Diane Warren. The lyrics are pretty simple, though I admit she used the word "china" in a kinda smart way. The topic is nothing new, but that's not something bad; I mean, Fori has also written songs about the same subject.
In the end, I think that China has the same problem than ADP: it's supposed to be something serious. You have to take it seriously because I AM TALKING ABOUT MY FAILED RELATIONSHIP/FIVE STEREOTYPES OF WOMEN (or whatever the heck is ADP about). The difference is that I enjoy ADP more than China. Except for Mr. Bad Man, but I pretend that song doesn't exist.

Oh, and the China video is terrible.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #37
jhkjurter

Joni's baby voice is annoying but Tori's isn't? Is that what you're saying? China has the worst bridge ever written? Have you listened to the bridges on Under Rug Swept?

China isn't a favorite, but I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here (please note that I'm not trying to be a dick. Just not really following you.)

In my mind, there is no Fori during the Atlantic years. Maybe Cooling.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #38
sueplydup

China has the worst bridge ever written? Have you listened to the bridges on Under Rug Swept?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #39
JRixlcvF

China haters to the LEFT. And who the fuck said Fori is in Putting the Damage On? WTF is that about? Oy.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #40
Zvmwissq

Cooling? Past the Mission? Putting the Damage On? Some of you really need to acquaint yourself with Ms. Fori because I'm not at all sure you've ever met her before.

As for me, besides things that have already been mentioned, I feel that the Professional Widow remix needs a shout out. While Fori herself didn't create it, she gave it her blessing and cashed in on that shit and probably bought a lot of hideous clothes with the money it gave her.

Oh sorry, I see Ime Achoo Dooa already mentioned it. And I agree about Raspberry Swirl too. Besides copping a piece of the dance music scene, it also was maybe the first time where Fori displayed her penchant for the most noxious form of pandering sexuality - Fip's rubber in 2007, and Fori's faux lesbian titillation of Raspberry Swirl in 1998.

Reply to Thread New Thread