LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-24-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
VINPELA

I basically read general fiction. Right now I'm reading The Namesake by Jhumpra Lahiri. My favorite author is Anne Rice. But I try to be open minded when it comes to literature.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
isogeople

Guess i have not outgrown my true blue romantic nature during my high school days that up to now i'm still fond of engaging into melancholy. I like Nicholas Sparks' novels, works of Hemingway. I also enjoy reading inspirational books and women-empowering books.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
Sheestgag

I mostly read the classics... they are always the best!

Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
secondmertg

Hi all,

I am a big fan of Phillip.K.Dick - author of books that were made into films such as 'Bladerunner', 'Minority report', 'Total Recall' and soon to be released, 'A Scanner Darkly'
I've read a few of his novels ('Ubik' is very good) and loads of his short stories.
He is the most bonkers sci-fi writer ever!

However, at the moment I'm reading the english translated version of 'Ring' by Koji Suzuki which is giving me another angle on the Ring movies.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
Ayyfjicg

Currently, I'm reading the books by Daniel Goleman, and especially on the Mind and Life meetings that took place between the Dalai Lama, other buddhists, scientists, philosphers, and doctors. Destructive Emotions: And How We Can Overcome Them, and Healing Emotions: Conversations with the Dalai Lama on Mindfulness, Emotions, and Health.. Fascinating books, and the results of some of the tests that have been done on Buddhist meditators have been featured in both Times and National Geographic.

Other books I read are fantasy, Buddhist and Christian books, magazines, and sports books.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
triardwonvada

Default What types of Books do you read?
I have noticed a lot of people on this forum seem to be very well read. Just wondering what type of books do you normally read, if at all? If I haven't included your favourite in the poll I apolagise now. There are just so many different classes of books. You will just have to put it in other and expand. Thanks View more random threads same category:

Old 04-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
grattperret

The last thing I read was The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon (for the second time) and before that The Dark Room (Anhitsu) by Junnosuke Yoshiyuki. I liked both.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #8
u8MmZFmF

I love reading. I always read magazines, mostly on videogames and F1. I mostly like books on F1 (bios or autobios) but history (WWII) graphic novels (sandman) sci fi (star wars) and some classics like the hobbit.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
Anaedilla

For the longest time I only read fantasy like Eddings, Feist, etc. but for some reason fantasy novels just haven't interested me too much. Lately it has all been science fiction. Not stuff waaay into the future or on a distant planet, but close to our time. William Gibson and Neil Stephenson are great. They write about our world... if our world was more entertaining.

I always have one motorsport book going. Right now it's a big-ass bio of Fangio.

I have a stack of various spiritual and philosophical books I'm reading. Everthing from the Dalai Lama to Marcus Aurelius.

I frequently have a lot of books going at once. Thankfully, I usually only have one novel going, otherwise I start to get my storylines confused. "And then Frodo took out his laptop."

Old 11-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #10
fotochicaes

I read:

Mostly non-fiction such as

Reference books

Historical

Religious critiques/skeptical works

Animal Rights/Liberation

Biographies

Books of quotations

A little fiction/myth/legends such as:

Poetry

The Old Testement and New Testement ('Holy' Bible)

-------------------------------
Sorry, I didn`t take the poll.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Toninvell

Mainly social sciences (politics, psychology), sometimes military or political history, current affairs and international relations magazines. I used to read a lot of fiction but I seem to have lost interest recently. Occasionally biographies.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
AlistDakisa

I checked off so many categories that I had to go back and make certain that I picked only the correct ones.

I cannot believe that I am the only one who reads cook books. Aren't any of you out there trying to make something really good to eat? The entire Forum cannot be eating either fast-food or supping with Mom and Dad.

"I read so that I know I am not alone." C. S. Lewis

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
Appenianags

Right now I'm reading Howard Zinn's Voices of a People's History of the United States and George H. Smith's Atheism: The Case Against God.

Pretty much literature and non-fiction for me.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
jgztw2es

I love reading!! I am always reading something, often a fiction and a non-fiction.
I am currently reading Dan Brown's Angels and Demons AND a new book by Peter Lindert, Social spending and economic growth since the eighteenth century.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
SoOW2LeA

i got my moments of reading, right now i can not read at all, because i have problems with concentration and got to much energie sometimes...

the last book i read was a computer book for my studie...
but i like books from john grisham, nichi french, one book i really love was the book Tokyo,,, i would recoment it to you guys, and i wonder if it is treu about if it happen on the black market... with the food..

i love reading, but watching a movie is bit more easy for my mind, but when i read a book i mostly finnish it in a day or 4.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
STYWOMBORGOSY

I cannot believe that I am the only one who reads cook books. Aren't any of you out there trying to make something really good to eat? The entire Forum cannot be eating either fast-food or supping with Mom and Dad. I read cookbooks! I read almost everything except for horror. The book I'm currently reading is My Antonia by Willa Cather.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
Todilrdc

My favorite author is Anne Rice. But I try to be open minded when it comes to literature.
You must be a kindred spirit. While I read just about anything in print (I read the back of the lotion in a bathroom if I'm bored) Anne Rice is my favorite author along with John Grisham.

I read sci/fi like the lord of the rings, romance novels, horror, obviously a lot of text because my field is Biochemistry and I'm currently working on my Masters, my Bible, and just about anything with a great story line. I am also right now stuck on Inuyasha fanfiction...started out reading one just to past the time until my next scroll was translated- and now here I am logging into my fanfiction sites at least once a day looking to see if one of the stories that I'm reading has been updated.

Basically I love to read...as a younger person I would stay up all night with a book and a flashlight and it's a bad habit that I have yet to break. If a story is really good, I can't wait to finish it so I'll stay up all night just to see what happens in the end. I've gone for a couple days on just a few hours of sleep before b/c I wanted to finish the book. I haven't always been into reading the news or anything like that, but I've grown to reading newsweek and other periodicals to try and keep up with the global climate.

I'm a reader. Dabble at writing every once in a while, but for the most part I read.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
exettybele

I checked off so many categories that I had to go back and make certain that I picked only the correct ones.

I cannot believe that I am the only one who reads cook books. Aren't any of you out there trying to make something really good to eat? The entire Forum cannot be eating either fast-food or supping with Mom and Dad.

"I read so that I know I am not alone." C. S. Lewis
Hey I read cook books too...so that makes two of us

Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
AromeWahmaron

Oh yeah and my current reads are a paper for class (posting instead of reading it) The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin, The Mummy by Anne Rice and several fanfics

Old 09-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
GinaGomesz

Hey I read cook books too...so that makes two of us
There are even more, now!

I must admit that I have not been given the training of a classic chef, but the "cook-it-yerself" cook books make it possible for even clots like me to whip up a decent meal. Currently my cook books and my on-line access are leaning toward the great New Orleans & TV chef, Emeril Lagasse!

If you like to eat, you need to learn how to cook!

Reply to Thread New Thread