LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #41
verizon

Better that than to have a major accident.

The trouble is in this sort of weather everything freezes up. The planes themselves can be de-iced but if they don't take off within a short period of time it needs to done again. And then there's the runways and taxiways. Brussels airport apparently has a heated runway, but from what I've heard it's no use because they can't keep the planes de-iced for long enough to take off!

Another problem is planes and crew being stuck in the wrong places.
It's the country mate, never prepared, other countries handle it fine in even worse conditions every year.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #42
DoctorBeny

It's the country mate, never prepared, other countries handle it fine in even worse conditions every year.
We are prepared, but this weather is much worse than what we can normally expect in the UK. Those other countries cope better because they know exactly what they are going to get and when.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #43
D6Ri5u13

Tomorrow will be the 3rd time in the last 2 weeks that I'm having to drive to the HDNL depot to pick up a parcel because of the snow [cursing]

Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #44
verizon

We are prepared, but this weather is much worse than what we can normally expect in the UK. Those other countries cope better because they know exactly what they are going to get and when.
Your to proud British, even the companies said they was not prepared, just a mess up again thats all.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #45
DoctorBeny

Your to proud British, even the companies said they was not prepared, just a mess up again thats all.
Which companies, and what exactly did they say?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #46
D6Ri5u13

What would you have us do? Have heated pavements like the swedes at the cost of billions of pounds? Councils have got way more grit than last year. I usually ask anyone who starts complaining about Britain dealing with the snow where they bought their snow tyres and they normally go silent.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #47
Badyalectlawl

Hard liquor also melts the snow.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #48
StitsVobsaith

Well, we're proud to be able to speak our language.

(If you're not a native English speaker I sincerely apologise, and as an English teacher myself I applaud you for your current level of a most difficult language).

Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #49
bumxumer

Last week during my trip through the US midwest->eastern seaboard via truck I was amazed at how much more snow they get than where I live here in Canada.

Sure your temperatures aren't ridiculously cold like us most of the time, but your snow amounts are insane. And now Europe's getting the bigtime snow! Seems like everyday I have to wipe the snow off the car in the mornings when I have it parked outside, it's getting annoying.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 AM   #50
Biradallo

Pulling up in second gear should work better as well? ( not sure, I'm a diesel driver) but slow movement of wheels with some pulling power ( front wheel drive) gets you out most cases....

Reply to Thread New Thread