LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
hieklyintinee

Default Sid Orwell's Civ 1984
Civ II is the best civ game of all time

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
imnaone

How come he let the game reach that state?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Vodonaeva

That's quite profound, but also a bit mad.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
kertUtire

He didn't want to stop playing? And the AI's keep attacking him and using nukes?
The thing is that Civ2 is easy enough to beat that there's no reason not to have conquered the AIs by the time nukes exist.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
Carfanate

No, the way out of his predicament is to turn cheat mode on. Don't you know anything?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
DoctorDulitlBest

The first time I played civ, I built nothing but phalanxes but I never kept any of them in my cities. Instead I attempted to attack my enemies with them but without much success. The AI kept recommending that I build more of the things so I assumed that they were the best.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
sjdflghd

My buddy sent that to me this morning, and my first thought was the same as Elok's: Why the **** is he running Communism when the tech race is over?

Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
repldoinfo

Just a guess: since he's using spies to nuke people, he wants veteran spies, and that's what Communism is for.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #9
Grizli

Yeah, I considered that, but honestly, he could rush-buy three times as many spies in fundy, take a few losses from non-veterans and still have surpluses to buy other stuff, without any unrest and with the precious shields of his diminutive cities saved from support costs. Assuming I'm reading him right and he does have actual revolt problems--the way he describes it makes it sound like the barb uprisings are due to unhappiness, which isn't the case, so maybe he's just being cute. Anyway, if there is actual unrest he shouldn't tolerate that for the sake of veteran spies. If he can stand up to the computer as a commie he should crush them on a more even footing.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
bmwservis

I was inspired to write a little short-story based on this. With the population numbers and destruction he describes, there's no way they're still advanced. I saw other people on reddit writing stories inspired by this. Maybe I'll post mine on there if making an account isn't a problem. More Fallout than 1984.

Spoiler:
The caves are haunted.

He sat alone in the darkness, his heart still racing. The cool dank air had a pungent odor but his lungs screamed for it. He inhaled and exhaled rapidly, a hard rhythm like the muffled shuffle of the bare feet that had chased him. He knew they would not follow him here. Their fear was too great.

The caves are haunted.

There was protection here, in this labyrinth of concrete and steel. Even the screams above were muffled by the thick ceiling. They sounded faint and distant, though he knew he sat only a hundred feet and a few cracked, mossy steps away from the slaughter.

The Kelta would never follow him here, certain of his inevitable death in the caves. He was safe for a few hours until their raiding party moved on. Cinnati was a wasteland, a mountain of broken concrete, bent steel, and shattered bricks. The raiders would ravish their feminine spoils and offer the burnt flesh of the men to their god, Soshul. Inevitably, Soshul would go hungry as the raiders would use the charred flesh to satisfy their most pressing appetite. The Kernul (the cognomen used by all Kelta raiding chieftains who disavowed any other name on their ascendency to that exalted station) would then mark a concrete slab with the knotted cords and cross of the Kelta, declaring Cinnati annexed by the Kelta Soshulist Republik. The raiders would then move on, probably south to the swampy hills of the Kentuck.

The caves are haunted.

The thought again crossed his mind as his breathing quieted and his eyes adjusted to the darkness. He could see thick, straight shapes ahead of him; a line of evenly-spaced robust guardians that held the ceiling in place for untold centuries. They stood burdened in tribute to the long-forgotten ancestors who had constructed the caves. For a moment, he wondered how strong the ancients must have been to carve this voluminous cavern into the earth and place this line of Atlases to hold up the great weight of the mountain of Cinnati. Why would they build this, he wondered? Did the ancients flee to these tunnels when the sun god crumbled their 'towers to the sky' into the mound of Cinnati Mountain? What amazing relics of ancient hubris could he find in these caves, abandoned for centuries?

His people weren't primitive. Though they lived migratory lives, surviving off hunting and foraging through the remnants of destroyed cities, they were part of the proud Usa Confederation, heirs to the ancients. Though he had never gone further than the twin settlements of Indi and Apolis, he knew far to the west were great cities like Omaha, untouched by the ancient wrath of the sun god. When he was a child, he saw the might of the Confederation: giant silent beings, hairless metal skulls, only steely eyes peering through gas masks. Known as the 'Police' for their distinctive clear shields emblazoned with that name, they marched through Wrightpatt many years ago, a phalanx armed with an assortment of weapons from shovels to spears (railroad spikes attached to long lead pipes).

Intimidation was their strength. The Confederation Police were bogeymen to enemies and Usa citizens alike. While the Kelta raiders armored themselves with random scavenged pieces of metal, the Police wore the equipment of the ancients. While their hulking vehicles and rifles had fallen into disuse several decades before with the paucity of fuel and viable ammunition, their millennia-old masks, shields, and armor remained in pristine condition; a testament to the Confederation's status as heir to the ancients.

But there were no Police here to kill the hated Kelta raiders who pillaged above. They had not been seen in the Ohio for over two decades, despite repeated Kelta intrusions. Many believed that the sun god had returned after centuries and snuffed out Omaha in a flash of light, as he had done ancient Cinnati. The Confederation did not exist, they said, and the known world would descend into the savagery and barbarity of the Kelta Soshulists.

The caves are haunted.

His subconscious repeated the fearful mantra as he sat alone in the darkness. He dared not venture into the dank abyss, superstition eclipsing his curiosity. The cave was silent now, as not even the savages above could be heard. He wondered if they would notice his small frame running to safety amid the concrete slabs above. He couldn't stay down here much longer. The caves are haunted.

He touched his wet brow, noticing his hand trembling. His eyes darted from column to column, wary of a creature emerging from behind the concrete. The caves are haunted. He stood as his heart raced. The caves are haunted. He turned to the cave's entrance, a few dozen feet away. Surely the Kelta would not be monitoring the entrance. There is no sense in remaining in this cursed cave. The caves are haunted.

He darted for the entrance, tripping over the broken steps. As a sting of pain crossed his face and blood entered his mouth, he hobbled into the bright light above. He knew the Kelta heard him. He knew the Kelta were picking up their weapons. He could hear the rattle of their armor and the shuffle of their bare feet. He ran. The caves are haunted.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #11
gugamotina

This is on the front page of Yahoo right now.

ACK!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
Nppracph

I remember one truly epic game of mine, though not nearly so epic as this one is.

I was a Democratic America on the large world map (I loved that thing. Wish I could still play on a world map with real starting locations.). In something like 200 BC, I'd saved Cleopatra from being anihilated, so we quickly became allies...and stayed that way while I conquered everything else on the map, including the Mongols who'd conquered all of Asia, and half of Europe. And (this will surely make Sid happy, since the game is increasingly designed to heavily discourage nukes) I never used a single nuclear weapon.

Of course, that was back in the day before the game decided that whatever you did for it wasn't enough to make it actually like you...

Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
softy54534

link or STFU!
www.yahoo.com

ACK!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
invest7manager

tldr, but after global swampization, your infrastructure (roads and rails) should still be in place. Your army of engineers should quickly turn everything back to grassland. Only incompetent players suffer from it.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
Dvjkefdw

I once played on the largest gigamap possible (remember x sizes get doubled). It took a couple hundred of turns just to get halfway across the map. I had to up ship and road movement.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
erepsysoulptnw

Plus your units don't get bribed... that's two.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
GOLAGLULT

It's been a pretty long time since I played Civ2--my current PC won't even run it, I just traded up to IV and never looked back--but I do remember, first, that democracy's happiness penalties were crippling in wartime. Two crankies for every troop outside city limits meant you had to pay so much in luxuries and/or entertainers that the trade advantages were effectively negated (especially since martial law didn't work), and it doesn't sound like this fellow can afford the upkeep with his small cities. Given his food problems and the constant barrage of pollution, the pop-booming seems a questionable strategy. If those were fixed, of course, it might mean something.

I also seem to recall that fundamentalism, communism and...republic, I think, shared the same WLT effect; they ALL turned you into a democracy in that city, with extra trade, no bribery and no corruption/waste. But it's been a while and, like I said, I can't access the game anymore.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
Gastonleruanich

It's been a pretty long time since I played Civ2--my current PC won't even run it, I just traded up to IV and never looked back--but I do remember, first, that democracy's happiness penalties were crippling in wartime. Two crankies for every troop outside city limits meant you had to pay so much in luxuries and/or entertainers that the trade advantages were effectively negated (especially since martial law didn't work), and it doesn't sound like this fellow can afford the upkeep with his small cities. Given his food problems and the constant barrage of pollution, the pop-booming seems a questionable strategy. If those were fixed, of course, it might mean something.

I also seem to recall that fundamentalism, communism and...republic, I think, shared the same WLT effect; they ALL turned you into a democracy in that city, with extra trade, no bribery and no corruption/waste. But it's been a while and, like I said, I can't access the game anymore.
Mostly correct, except:

1) WLTKD in Republic has the +1 pop effect
2) The only benefit you get in communism or monarchy is +1 trade/square (not the rest)
3) WLTKD has no effect in fundamentalism

Old 06-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
!!Aaroncheg

Okay, I opened up a game of civ2 to see what would happen if I had WLTKD under Fundamentalism and it did boost commerce.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #20
StevenS

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9728077.stm

The BBC takes a look at Civ2 to see if Civ2 can predict the future.

Reply to Thread New Thread