LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #21
ligeplodore

Ridley Scott is a big old sellout. He'll butcher his own genius (Alien, Director's cut lol) for some film company $$$.
That said, I do have my tickets for Prometheus...

Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #22
Edwardthe_third

Ridley Scott is a big old sellout. He'll butcher his own genius (Alien, Director's cut lol) for some film company $$$.
That said, I do have my tickets for Prometheus...
I preferred the Director's cut of Aliens.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #23
seodiary

He was referring to the fact that your sentence was simultaneously berating the lack of original ideas in movies, while saying it should be based on a book, which is a contradiction. BooTx made the same observation, but without the face-palm.

Your next point about original screenplays Vs re-hashes is also contradictory - especially the way you've written it.

"P.K.D. has many other stories which could be adapted from new ORIGINAL screenplays"

That actually reads as though P.K.D's stories should be adapted from the screenplays, when you really mean there could be new movies (screenplays) adapted from the books. It is fair to argue that an original screenplay is more original than an adapted one from an original book.
Ummhmm I suppose you are an ultimate authority on everything, it's amazing you can sleep at night.

Next time you'd like to try and berate me by pm's make sure your inbox isn't full.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #24
robinthesearchmasterh

I preferred the Director's cut of Aliens.
Wow really? I can't understand that. The original was based on tension, fear of the unknown. The Director's cut just completely undermined and cut it all away.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #25
Essefsbyday

Ummhmm I suppose you are an ultimate authority on everything, it's amazing you can sleep at night.

Next time you'd like to try and berate me by pm's make sure your inbox isn't full.
Why, did you feel you missed an opportunity to 'correct' my view of you? You really do need help, and I am not even saying that as an insult. Seriously, reach out to someone. http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

Wow really? I can't understand that. The original was based on tension, fear of the unknown. The Director's cut just completely undermined and cut it all away.
Wow, maybe I have a really poor recollection of the original - I'll have to try and get hold of it and watch it again. I haven't seen it in more than a decade.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #26
embefuri

Are you aware that really, there aren't?
You suggested that they should use PKD novels and make them into original films, that's contradictory. Then you implied they don't make original films anymore and that they have no original ideas, while this sequel shows the exact opposite.

They are making an original sequel based on an original script written from scratch.
This sounds dumb, why not use one of P.K.D.'s other stories and make an original mov...oh yeah, they don't do that any more...who has the time for new ideas?
Firstly, Blade Runner has been done as a movie, P.K.D. has many other stories which could be adapted from new ORIGINAL screenplays, not rehashes or a "continuation".
Here you are making another contradiction by saying that they should make original screenplays, a screenplay is original if it's actually not based on existing books. That's what we call an adapted screenplay.

Then you said that they are making rehashes, which again, is the opposite of what they are doing. You also put the word continuation in apostrophes to imply that it's not, when what they're doing is exactly a continuation and not a supposed continuation.

Also, I'm as obsessive with books or movies that I enjoy as anyone else, but sometimes a story is done, like a painting or a piece of music, trying to milk it for all it's worth ruins it. Why ruin something that doesn't need to go on?
How do you know that they'll ruin it ? Milking the story or not has no relevance upon whether the film is good or not.

They might as well milk the dead cow dry and still produce a good film.

People always seem to get their panties in a knot whenever a film based on book strays away from the original story. Thing is that the book and the film are completely different artistic entities and have no effect on each other.

Hell, it's even possible to make a film based upon Blade runner and introduce the concept the he actually moonlights as a champion figure skater and still make a good film out of it.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #27
DioraMoostebeers

Let's get back on topic gentlemen..
Indeed. Film making has changed dramatically in the last 30 years - especially the pace. The one thing I notice about watching movies from the 80's again, is that they seem so much slower than when I watched them all those year ago. But that's not the case, the tempo of modern films is so much higher.

So, whatever we want to think, it's likely these prequels and sequels of pretty old films are going to be very different.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #28
UrUROFlS

Let's get back on topic gentlemen..

I can see allot of potential for it to go either way. Is the female a nexus? I wounder just what direction it will go in as the story is so diverse that there are many directions it could go. Will it be off world and delve into the realm on the nexus population or is to be about the one he let get away at the end of the original movie? I have a feeling it is going to revolve around her and her plight to survive in a would of humans. Being a cyborg without the kill program or whatever that was allows for it to take place years later. Will Fords character make an appearance? I can see him as the head cop now doling out advise to a new younger hunter..

Needless to say it is either going to be really good or flop depending on the story they go with. I hope they can pull it off because if done right it should be a really good flick.
I think Harrison was a replicant myself, which gives plenty of room for a sequel - not that they would use that angle.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #29
Tamawaipsemek

I think Harrison was a replicant myself, which gives plenty of room for a sequel - not that they would use that angle.
There is no thinking he was one....He WAS a replicant.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
AlexanderDrew

I like this movie, but I seem to remember it being unpopular and most people didn't like it? It was basically a flop where I lived. You all act like it was a popular film that people actually went to see. So my interpretation is that if they are making a sequel, it is for us, those that care, who went and saw the original in the theater. And most of us don't want it.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #31
id2008

@Bomberman and Zoolook: You two sure you're talking about the same movie? Because that 's' makes a big difference.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #32
Lictimind

@Bomberman and Zoolook: You two sure you're talking about the same movie? Because that 's' makes a big difference.
Yeah, the directors cut of Aliens was by far the better movie as they cut so much out of the cinematic release because the studio thought people might not be able to cope with the running time.

But I think I have only ever seen the directors cut of Alien, will have to check the original out if it really is that much better.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #33
id2008

I am talking about the 2nd film, James Cameron. I wasn't aware there was a Director's Cut of Alien.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #34
Evelinessa

At least it's a full blown sequel, and not a prequel or reboot. Whilst it would be cool to see Harrison Ford reprise his role, in a lesser capacity, i would love to see Rutger Hauer back even more. What a scene.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #35
bensabath

At least it's a full blown sequel, and not a prequel or reboot. Whilst it would be cool to see Harrison Ford reprise his role, in a lesser capacity, i would love to see Rutger Hauer back even more. What a scene.
He is dead though.

I wouldn't be against if they did something like in the 1997 Blade Runner game.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #36
apannamma

Doesn't matter if that version is dead - remember they're artificial, so other copies could have been made - must say, it was, perhaps, the best performance I've seen from the chap.
Anyone see the documentary on the making of the film? It was very interesting and gave a real insight into how they made the calls they did.
As for the Fx, a lot of it was done, as with Star Wars, with glass masks - can't recall the correct term - and was an important part in developing the feel of the whole thing, Fx to help the background tell the story which the characters were telling.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #37
EspnaConCam

He is dead though.
FFS E@G, you just had me googling about Rutger Hauers death!

I wouldn't be against if they did something like in the 1997 Blade Runner game.
That would be very much OK by me too, i still own a boxed version of that game, some games should never be thrown away.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #38
Roorseprate

Female lead
Damn sight better a good woman than a bad male actor!
Only those lacking in a certain department worry about strong females...

BTW, THIRTY YEARS since it was made - damn, that makes me feel old (shut up those in the cheap seats!)

Reply to Thread New Thread