LOGO
General Discussion Undecided where to post - do it here.

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
OwdBKKHO

Default SKY Phone+TV+Broadband...
Guys,

I'm moving house in a couple of weeks... and I'm thinking ditching my BT landline (yay!) and Be* ADSL in favour of a Sky bundle.

Basically for £60/month I get Sky Entertainment Extra (with god knows how many HD channels, including Sky F1), unlimited phone calls and unlimited broadband.

I'm just wondering if any of you has experience with this type of bundle (especially when it comes to the broadband quality, reliability and speed)... How is Sky's customer service, and how's reliability overall?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Edwardthe_third

I think sky are rated highly for reliability and customer service. Only second to Virgin if I remember right.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
leareliovag

Sky broadband has been utter crap the three times I have had it in my life. People have told me it is good, which is why I tried it again in different parts of the country.

Currently I get about 2.5-3.5mbps...in Manchester FFS.

I find it gets awful congestion as well.

The only conceivably worse choices are Talk Talk (just lol) and BT (the homehub is a POS that craps out exactly when you hope it won't.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Unonounaple

They come out pretty well here:

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/customer-satisfaction/

And again here:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/201...or-survey.html

Only really behind, Plusnet, O2 and the high-speed ones.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
lisualsethelp

Difficult to actually read into this type of stats... as most people don't realise (or don't bother?) that they're being throttled, and having their traffic "managed" by the likes of Plusnet or BT.

DSL ZoneUK paints a slightly different picture... still Sky seems to come out quite well: http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

Old 04-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
sasquatch999

Well I've never used their internet (I live in Hull so no chance of being able to use it lol) but I have Sky and their Customer support is very good in my opinion.

My Sky HD box started playing up so I phoned them, they sent an Engineer out who pratted around for 5 mins, declared the HDD was dying and promptly installed me a new model box for free.

Sorted.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
AutoCadPhotoSHOP

If you have the option of Virgin then don't even hesitate to take it. The EPG is slow on Sky in comparison, and sky still suffers from weather problems.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Precturge

I have their phone, BB and TV package. I went for a fairly normal TV package so i end up paying aroung £30 a month. I'm getting about 2.5 to 3Mbps but that's to be expected due to my distance from the exchange. I used to have BT/ADSL24 at the same address and speeds were the same.Reliability is good, download is unlimited and all in all i'm pretty happy.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
KacypeJeope

If you have the option of Virgin then don't even hesitate to take it. The EPG is slow on Sky in comparison, and sky still suffers from weather problems.
What weather problems? We have no issues here. The only time we do is if it's stair rods outside, and that's not very often.

I'd go with Sky for TV (because you are guaranteed to get the channels you want) and Virgin cable for BB (because ADSL speed is variable due to distance from exchange, and other factors). That's what we have. Of course if you do that you don't get a discount for having everything with the same provider.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
egershna

You've never had weather issues that have caused transmission issues, including dropped audio, with satellite? You must be the only one.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Sotmoigma

You've never had weather issues that have caused transmission issues, including dropped audio, with satellite? You must be the only one.
Only, like I said, if it's stair rods outside. How often does that happen? Hardly ever. If the dish is installed properly, and a has a clear line of sight to the satellite, there should be no issues.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
ådrrraj

What weather problems? We have no issues here. The only time we do is if it's stair rods outside, and that's not very often.
This just reaffirms my belief that you are from another planet.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
8cyVn4RJ

I've never noticed my satellite being disturbed either. So that means I don't watch much TV, or it's not really an issue.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
DoctorNiCYDEn

Sky resell BT Infiinity now, so I would check to see if you can get that from Sky if you want to get everything through them.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
zlopikanikanzax

I've never noticed my satellite being disturbed either. So that means I don't watch much TV, or it's not really an issue.
I'm not saying that you lose reception for minutes at a time, just that you don't get all the artifects on screen that sky gets in the rain.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
Lgcjqxlw

I'm not saying that you lose reception for minutes at a time, just that you don't get all the artifects on screen that sky gets in the rain.
I used to get this in my old house a fair bit but in my current house of over 3 years it hasn't ever cut out or distorted due to weather. Maybe it's more prone in certain locations?

As for the sky bundle, our's has been very reliable and the speed while fairly constant is not very fast (4mb down)! That is a limit in this area though, I think it goes up to 8 or 12 in some places. It works out so cheap though when bundled with TV and phone, we got BB free for 6 months then £5 a month for then next 6 months after that so can't really complain.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
avaissema

I used to get this in my old house a fair bit but in my current house of over 3 years it hasn't ever cut out or distorted due to weather. Maybe it's more prone in certain locations?
Think you're right. Our dish is quite sheltered.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
IntinyBut

I am a lover of virgin but just moved to an area where I can't get fibre optic

I have a sky package costing £75 p/m, which consists of:
TV - Sky+HD 1TB, Sky entertainment extra, Sky HD pack and Sky Sports pack.
Phone - Basic package, Evening & weekends with caller id which is free.
Broadband - I have Unlimited, my line apparently can only receive between 5.5-11.5 mbps, at the moment just about getting 5mb.

I've been with them for about 2 weeks now and so far they have been good. Install was quick and simple, they sent a free, decent enough wireless router kit before remotely connecting me to the phone and activating your internet. I got a text saying when it was activated which was quite cool. So all of that was really smooth, I must admit. A few technical hitches I'm getting to do with the signals, but nothing to do with Sky I don't think, I'll find out soon.

The internet is pretty stable, I would recommend connecting your telephone to another socket to the router if possible as mine drops the speed a little and increases the ping tenfold, terrible for gaming/xbox unless I disconnect the phone and get another socket wired up. On average my pings are around 45-60 with speeds about 5mbps down/0.60 up, but I think I'm still in the line stabilization period where they are finding the limit.

I'm roughly about 2500-3000metres from my exchange I think.

I have nothing to say about their tv boxes though, Virgin and the Tivo are leagues ahead compared to sky+hd. [thumbdown]

Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
yQvpyNt3

£75 p/m wtf.... are you mad...

I use to have sky, dont anymore as they were the worst company I have ever had dealings with...

At the time had a new box with hard drive installed 3 months earlier... it broke. Rang them, "sorry only a 3 month warranty, you will have to pay to get it fixed or get a reconditioned box"... reconditioned... retards... after arguing and then saying right im leaving (was out of contract) they said "oh sorry sir we can get a new box out to you no problem"... oh ok... " will be 5 weeks though. So i have to pay for the month that i cant use it? " yes sorry" ....

2 mates have sky BB and have nothing but problems with theirs being really slow in busy periods... My O2 broadband ADSL has never let me down and the customer service is second to none.

My two pennies worth!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #20
kasandrasikl

My O2 broadband ADSL has never let me down and the customer service is second to none.
If O2 never changed their policy, they'd have a shedload of new customers. I'm still on the unthrottled connection hitting 2.2MB/s even during 5-11pm and all weekend, and torrents. Lovely

/waiting for some Scandinavian saying he gets 11MB/s during peak time

Reply to Thread New Thread