LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Info-phone

Default the need for a 'Muslim' media corporation - but how?

i am sure majority of the people would agree that the attitude of the secular media in many countries towards Muslims can at best be called biased.
Islam, its hudood, personal rules, concept of J!had, women rights etc are all misrepresented to a very large extent.
the voice of the religious muslims who defend Islam in writing on public fora such as BBC, tribune (of pakistan) etc is very less. defense of Islam in other forms is always quite minimal (e.g television debates etc). even when given the chance such debates and defense are given meager coverage.

what is even more telling is the biased and sometimes completely false reporting of events occurring in Muslim lands - especially lands which are seeing Muslim J!hadists up against either secular puppet Muslim governments (such as afghanistan) or secular democratic governments (such as pakistan). let us not get into the debate on which country is puppet or not - that is not the point.

the point is that Muslim resistance movements all over the world are portrayed negatively and falsely in the media. and there is no alternative Muslim broadcasting corporation that can go on site, investigate and reveal the truth for a very large audience.. a recent example is that of the taliban shooting video that has been making the rounds. the entire western media and western influenced media were one in their 'condemnation' of it.
there are very obvious flaws in this story and i believe the video was staged and no one was killed. some of the reasons i have outlined here in this thread( if you disagree please do so in that thread).

but who can go to the site and actually investigate this and bring it to the fore? do we have anyone?

and this isnt particular to j!hadis.

every now and then some Muslims are interviewed by the western media and it is made to show as if there is something wrong with the Islam of the Prophet (PBUH) and the first three generations.naudhubillah.

my aim is not to go into detail about the unjust media, it is to seek suggestions and ideas as to how something of the likes of BBC and CNN can be set up that is professional, popular (what i mean is it should have a large audience) ,unbiased and operated by religious practicing Muslims. Importantly it should not take dictations from secular governments.

all i see these days for so-called right-wing media outlets is beneath the surface work with a very small audience. and i do not blame the readership. i saw an online edition of the daily ummat and it had stories of frequent human interactions with jinns. now that reduces your 'authenticity image'.
al-jazeera does not count i am afraid.

the real problem with such newspapers is that majority people do not trust them and so their readership is small. they do not have raunchy photoshoots and scandals of heroines both in their online and print edition. the people trust western media despite having no access to verify the authenticity of any report because so many of them say the same thing and we have been led to believe by our governments that what they say is the truth! this is damaging to Islam as a whole. we are getting slaughtered in the media war and as a result the media has brainwashed many of our numbers. something must be done to counter this.

suggestions please. (from brother usama2 esp)

Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Boripiomi

Now a days you do not need much money, one can set-up a website for donations to be made, films can be recorded and put on the web, maybe some advertising can also be put in the film to generate revenue. The production would have to be very good though, and marketing the films would need to be top notch as well:

http://www.creativeskillset.org/film...cle_5103_1.asp

http://www.piratemyfilm.com/pages/how_it_works

The films would not have to be very long, just 10 or 15 minutes long, informative and packed with information. Just upload the films on you tube or your own web page, but you would need finance for this promote it via google adverts where you pay google every time someone searches and clicks on the link to your video. On forums, twitter, facebook just spread the word give your chanel a good snappy and meaningful name.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
Seerseraxlils

i am also talking about ground coverage via videos, interviews and articles (not necessarily international at first but regional at first too can work) to have the authenticity ratings soar up. this, along with excellent production and marketing can do wonders.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Aswdwdfg

I think it all requires a rational intellectual struggle to establish a competative alternate worldview. Otherwise, you can't last long unless ofcourse the media is merely a channel for hardcore dogmatics whereby their influence do not expand beyond that particular group. . If you can't establish a alternate compatetive worldview then your back to round 1 where media is blamed for being pro-x worldview.

The other basis is then to esablish mmedia that do not get into propogamda of any sort. Just plain factual news without any dissection and interpretation and attempt to bend perception. Just plain raw facts.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
eI7iqNot

The other basis is then to esablish mmedia that do not get into propogamda of any sort. Just plain factual news without any dissection and interpretation and attempt to bend perception. Just plain raw facts.
that wouldn't hurt the Muslim cause much as far as i see it. it can be a start.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
buchmausar

Nice piece of writing.
At least there are people who worry about this ummah and those who safeguard the deen.

I personally feel that one has to firstly understand the importance of Media. Today, the west is employing this tool against us most effectively. This does not mean that we lose all hope.
We must work with unity regarding the issues. There has to be an organized and professional approach to this. I have many ideas but I am afraid can not reveal them here .

Old 07-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
propolo

I think it all requires a rational intellectual struggle to establish a competative alternate worldview. Otherwise, you can't last long unless ofcourse the media is merely a channel for hardcore dogmatics whereby their influence do not expand beyond that particular group. . If you can't establish a alternate compatetive worldview then your back to round 1 where media is blamed for being pro-x worldview.

Start out wherever you want in the world, get a video camera and start telling the story...give others the chance to join your network on line (email address, pseudonym, and their address or city) so they can report from somewhere else if you contact them. If you know something is happening somewhere you contact the person in your network who lives near to that place, ask them to do a report, interview people and post it up. Straight away you have an alternative side to the story being given by the mainstream media.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
tarmpriopay

Start out wherever you want in the world, get a video camera and start telling the story...give others the chance to join your network on line (email address, pseudonym, and their address or city) so they can report from somewhere else if you contact them. If you know something is happening somewhere you contact the person in your network who lives near to that place, ask them to do a report, interview people and post it up. Straight away you have an alternative side to the story being given by the mainstream media.
what about the real risk of government intervention and possible identification as a suspect?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #9
PlanTaleks

what about the real risk of government intervention and possible identification as a suspect?
Eh? You are journalists not spies or terrorists, there is always a danger of being identified as 'the enemy'. If you have too much to hide then clearly you should not put your details up there. The Internet is a great Surveillance System, I am sure even sites like these are monitored by 'government agencies'.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
Preegovesem

Al Jazeera is a good channel for now... I know its not perfect..but its way better than having nothing.

Muslims must start a media corporate that is secular in its outlook. No nobody will take "Muslim Channel of Muslims" too seriously. Suppose if BBC's name was "Christian Broadcast of Church of England" or something like that...who would have taken it seriously? So Muslims must start global media campaign with 'secular' outlook so other people will be interested in it ...

Internet is another free medium...Where are the great Saudi filthy rich "Princes" ? Why don't they invest in media sector? Muslims must create teams for internet..that will respond to the lies of kuffr..but here again..we must maintain a 'secular' outlook so we can be credible...

Listen to this man ... He is a friend of Muslims...A great guy from America that criticizes its government actions to the max...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k81dg...eature=related

Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
12Cickprior

[QUOTE=Auzer;792187]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k81dg...eature=related

Great advice in this video. Jazakallah

Old 07-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #12
dfuzioniag

Eh? You are journalists not spies or terrorists, there is always a danger of being identified as 'the enemy'. If you have too much to hide then clearly you should not put your details up there. The Internet is a great Surveillance System, I am sure even sites like these are monitored by 'government agencies'.
saleem shahzad was allegedly tortured and killed by ISI because he investigated too deep about AQ and taliban and revealed too much about the army.
he was not a spy nor a terrorist.
if you make a channel that you wish to garner huge audiences then your news reporting would obviously involve reporters reporting from the scene. if the government doesnt like it they will have the information they need.
however if one goes underground then the target audience is lost and your underground 'news agency' has become a conspiracy theory hotbed.

this is quite a dilemma.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
chuecafresss

Muslims must start a media corporate that is secular in its outlook. No nobody will take "Muslim Channel of Muslims" too seriously. Suppose if BBC's name was "Christian Broadcast of Church of England" or something like that...who would have taken it seriously? So Muslims must start global media campaign with 'secular' outlook so other people will be interested in it ...

Internet is another free medium...Where are the great Saudi filthy rich "Princes" ? Why don't they invest in media sector? Muslims must create teams for internet..that will respond to the lies of kuffr..but here again..we must maintain a 'secular' outlook so we can be credible...
this is actually a very good suggestion.
i remb a similar suggestion given by my ex-Dean when we discussed 'islamic schools'. he was like teach secular subjects + islamic subjects but do not mention anything islamic in the name of the school.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
wmhardware

saleem shahzad was allegedly tortured and killed by ISI because he investigated too deep about AQ and taliban and revealed too much about the army.
he was not a spy nor a terrorist.
Any idea what he revealed? Like what he wrote or published that got him killed? Any article regarding that?

Old 07-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
SeelaypeKet

good idea. Some one needs to cover whats going on in the north the stupid jahil
media doesnt show anything especially drones the victims are passed off as faceless nameless nobodies. There's no outrage because our media is too busy showing us the escapades of malik riaz rental raja supreme court drama what not. in ten years theyve never coverd anything in afghanistan! not even when whole villages were bombed n somehow got out in the intl media but Pakistan-never! not even the quran burning at Nato bases in afghanistan. Its like the war is happening in the northpole, ten years! And the media is outright lying especially Etribune this week two completely false headlines!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #16
inownsuipsy

Al Jazeera is a good channel for now... I know its not perfect..but its way better than having nothing.

You have hit the nail right on the head. You are the only other person that I've ever encountered who has this same viewpoint.

Everybody, please read and reread what I have quoted from the brother's post above. It is an excellent insight.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
inmeirulez

Any idea what he revealed? Like what he wrote or published that got him killed? Any article regarding that?
here is what he published.

it reveals how pakistan army in 80s in the zia era was quite similar to current AQ. except it was friends with US. how pakistan army got secularized in the 90s and then how it struck a deal with both AQ and USA after 9/11 and then stabbed AQ in the back in 2003 yielding to US pressure. this triggered the J!had in pakistan and the army has now sided with US against mujahideen. it also describes how the army is an extension of british colonial army and how its torture drove many pakistani (either those who were not going to fight the army or those who were previously trained by army to fight india) to hate army and work for AQ.

it is sad because many religious muslims are nowadays running about like headless chickens, wrapped up in conspiracy theories based from media. nobody bothers to read any real research.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
PlayboyAtWork

good idea. Some one needs to cover whats going on in the north the stupid jahil
media doesnt show anything especially drones the victims are passed off as faceless nameless nobodies. There's no outrage because our media is too busy showing us the escapades of malik riaz rental raja supreme court drama what not. in ten years theyve never coverd anything in afghanistan! not even when whole villages were bombed n somehow got out in the intl media but Pakistan-never! not even the quran burning at Nato bases in afghanistan. Its like the war is happening in the northpole, ten years! And the media is outright lying especially Etribune this week two completely false headlines!
which headlines?

it is amazing that not one word was told to the world by western media about the 35 soldiers and policemen killed by taliban in kandahar this past tuesday after a fierce gun battle. they used to report it before. instead we got some article claiming taliban should sign a peace treaty like IRA because they are losing. lol

Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
ChrisGoldstein

this is quite a dilemma.
Yes, even corporate news agencies are attacked by other governments. It is risky. Did you see the footage from American helicopters of them killing 2 or 3 reutuers reporters.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #20
Poll Pitt

Yes, even corporate news agencies are attacked by other governments. It is risky. Did you see the footage from American helicopters of them killing 2 or 3 reutuers reporters.
no : O
share here kindly

Reply to Thread New Thread