LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
wiweimeli

Default The big TV debate...

Would you allow your wife to look at Mawlana Fulan ibn Fulan on TV, a picture of his, video, youtube, etc?

Would Nabi have appeared on TV, video, youtube, etc for dawah as a dhuroor?

Would Nabi allowed his Al-Azwaaj al-Mutaharat to watch TV, video, youtube?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
htDgExh8

When the pure Ummul Mu'mineen were ordered to cover themselves behind the screen when Abdullah Ibn Umm Makhtoom (the blind sahaabi) entered it boggles the mind how being able to stare at total ghair mahram on TV is acceptable.

We live in an age where fitnah is made permissible under the guise of dhuroor and all sort of preposterous technical gymnastics are made for justification.

Allahul Musta'aan.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
ultimda horaf

When i said to a female relative that Moulana !!!!!! will be appearing on TV. She remarked " I wonder if he looks like i think he looks "

Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Forexampleee

I will talk for my personnal experience, this is not a fatwa, but I used to listen to bayaanat or other lectures on youtube and often I don't look at the video and the speaker at all, sometimes because I'm doing something else at the same time on my computer, sometimes because it helps to focus on the speach (when it's not in french for me) to do nothing and just listening to it.

So, if someone is not looking at the speaker (a woman not looking to a non mahram man) is this a problem ? Since it's easily possible to don't look at them.

At the same time, is the issue of television a matter of ijtihad or not ?
I would like to add that the scholars I've listened to or read about on this issue and who permits the use of television or video for da'wah purpose have put some conditions to it.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
htDgExh8

24:30 Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.

24:31 And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty......

Old 06-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
wiweimeli

When i said to a female relative that Moulana !!!!!! will be appearing on TV. She remarked " I wonder if he looks like i think he looks "
Precisely.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
wiweimeli

The same 'ulama who years ago referred to TV as "devil-box" and other such terms will now be appearing on TV! If this is not hypocrisy of the highest degree then what is it?

They say we neither condemn or condone TV or those that appear on TV! If that isn't fence sitting then what is it? In din something is either Halaal or Haraam, anything in between is doubtful and should be abstained from! Yet the Molvis now preach from the screens after years of condemning the same screens, after graduating from madaris and ulooms where their own ustaadhs condemned the same screens even if it be to be used as a means of da'wah!

The Tabligh movement is perhaps the largest and most successful da'wah movement of the last 50 years. Technology has been shunned by them to the extent that they do not even have a website. Yet, they remain one of the most, if not the most, successful movement that have touched the lives of millions. No youtube. No TV. No website.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
unishisse

does this mean we can take photos in the masjids of Johannesburg freely now. if you ask me this is nifaaq at its best. its the same like when they said its haraam for a woman to be on the radio but when the judge forced them to they found a fatwa & a few days later we had even kaafir women on the radio doing regular shows.

I would like to know if ITV is still berelwi orientated as it was when they were a free to air public channel. if so how are the ulama gona find the balance.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
ultimda horaf

I dont think Tabligh has shunned technology.

In the past decade the majority of the Ijtima's have been broadcast live on Radio Stations.
Tablighi elders have recordings of many bayanaat
Pictures of ijtimas and statements from cordinators have appeared in many a local paper

Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
ultimda horaf

iTV broadcasts out of Sunnighill where their studios are located.

So you wont see Moulana !!!!! driving in to DSTV studios in Randburg and subsequently passing the sets of Egoli, Idols and Supersport.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
unishisse

iTV broadcasts out of Sunnighill where their studios are located.

So you wont see Moulana !!!!! driving in to DSTV studios in Randburg and subsequently passing the sets of Egoli, Idols and Supersport.
or big brother, I think Egoli is over isnt it.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
wiweimeli

does this mean we can take photos in the masjids of Johannesburg freely now. if you ask me this is nifaaq at its best. its the same like when they said its haraam for a woman to be on the radio but when the judge forced them to they found a fatwa & a few days later we had even kaafir women on the radio doing regular shows.

I would like to know if ITV is still berelwi orientated as it was when they were a free to air public channel. if so how are the ulama gona find the balance.

There is a Salafi on ITV with a slot. Do the rest of the 'ulama agree with the Salafi and whatever he dumps out on screen? But again, shouldn't be surprised as a prominent Salafi is given free airtime to teach his aqidah on Radio Islam! Allahul Musta'an!

So soon for the purpose of da'wah we should start doing pop shows! As that is where alot of youth are and it would be ideal to reach out to them. After all Sami Yusuf and Maher Zain use music for da'wah so why don't the 'ulama start using music and pop shows as well???

So it started with radio (and some 'ulama condemned it) and now its on TV (and some 'ulama are condemning it) and soon it will be nude pop shows (and Allah protect our children from the fitnahs)!!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
unishisse

There is a Salafi on ITV with a slot. Do the rest of the 'ulama agree with the Salafi and whatever he dumps out on screen? But again, shouldn't be surprised as a prominent Salafi is given free airtime to teach his aqidah on Radio Islam! Allahul Musta'an!

So soon for the purpose of da'wah we should start doing pop shows! As that is where alot of youth are and it would be ideal to reach out to them. After all Sami Yusuf and Maher Zain use music for da'wah so why don't the 'ulama start using music and pop shows as well???

So it started with radio (and some 'ulama condemned it) and now its on TV (and some 'ulama are condemning it) and soon it will be nude pop shows (and Allah protect our children from the fitnahs)!!

i think then our ulama should step in, & do what ever it takes to defend the ahlus sunnah. because soon the shia will also get a slot. even if they just phone in to condemn what is said & debate them over the air. but do we have ulama who would stand up

Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
unishisse

wait akhi, how do you know there is a salafi on ITV, do you watch ITV, do you watch TV, I thaught you dont because of the way you reacting in these posts.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
wiweimeli

i think then our ulama should step in, & do what ever it takes to defend the ahlus sunnah. because soon the shia will also get a slot. even if they just phone in to condemn what is said & debate them over the air. but do we have ulama who would stand up
No, we have this........

Maseeha-bera-on-itv.jpg

What a mockery!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
wiweimeli

wait akhi, how do you know there is a salafi on ITV, do you watch ITV, do you watch TV, I thaught you dont because of the way you reacting in these posts.
I watched ITV 'cause someone said there are many Arab women on the shows! Now my wife is upset.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
wiweimeli

Subject: a letter from an Aalim of S Africa who now lives in Madina
> Munawwara - response to an Aalim who wrote in favour of "Islamic" tv
> channels
Assalaamu'alaikum Warahmatullaahi Wabarakaatuh
>
> With due respect to the fervour you have Hazrat to serve Allah's Deen, it is possible that you may have not seen much of the modern Muslim east. I am living by the grace of Allah in the holiest lands (Madinah Munawwarah), where the media, particularly TV and radio is used to its fullest for propagating Islam. Wallaah, thumma Wallaah, my yaqeen, day in day out, only increases, that if the Arab Ulama adopted the stance that our old Indian Ulama adopted in the beginning, of making TV HARAAM, the world around here would have been different.
> Further, if you live and see the confusion of the various individuals and communities of this part of the world, in things that you wouldn't imagine in South Africa and Indo-Pak, you'll be shocked.
> When looking a little deeper, you realize it boils down to the same thing: the infuential scholars took too much effect were/are too affected by haalaat around them.
> Last week I visited Quba, and I entered the book section of the stall on the premises and spent some time there. My heart fell when going through the 'Islamic' books there. I left with worry, asking Allah from my heart to save my children, etc from ever entering and reading books from a bookstore of this nature before their knowledge of Deen becomes solid. The deviant books were of various types: one example is a fataawa book of the famous Qardawi... In it he crushed hijaab and niqaab to pieces.
> Moulana, living here in the hub makes me feel like your type of email is an imaginary one. There is absolutely no reality to serving Deen in that way. Serve Deen and get onto TV, and then... Then what? Win? Win what? Win who? How? And then where to? Win a few individuals at the expense of too much!
> In South Africa, the safety of atmosphere of Deen which was there and is fading away was due to the originality in method by our earlier scholars. No sooner any nation gives it up they're gone. At this point in time, I wish I could encapsulate the halaat of the world of the East to make others see with the lenses of someone living here. My insight into this that I have said above increases by the day. My hearts sees and aches more and more every day. The east seems finished. And it can only be attributed to them leaving the original methods.
> Two days ago, I gave a very old senior Aalim a lift. He was a saathy of Hzrt Mufti Aashiq Ilaahi RA. His heart was boiling with pain. He could not stop talking. He said: one day, outside the Haram Shareef, someone came to Hzrt Mufti Aashiq Ilaahi RA and said: come, let us go meet so and so grand mufti of a certain country in such and such hotel. Mufti Saheb said: No grand mufti of this age can match our akaabireen and elders. They can hardly implement Deen properley in there own lives, let alone giving it in its true form to others. Allah had chosen our Akaabireen, in every respect. They held onto Deen through thick and thin. They were the only ones of this age who gave life to every aspect of Deen as far as Ilm and amal is concerned.
> He then went on to give examples upon examples.
> I visited Shaikh Awwaamah recently, and we discussed the issue of womens dressing: where is it heading to. His words were: It is the effect of the Shaitaan La'een, ie TV. He then related that, fifty years ago, his brother was walking their ustaadh home from Isha, when the ustaad said: I saw in my dream that the jews have entered all the muslim homes. Two weeks later, while walking down the same street he noticed that one of the shop keepers brought in a TV set, and people gathered to see. He looked up and said: this is it. This is what I saw in my dream.
> The statement of Imam Maalik is HAQ:
> ?? ???? ??? ??? ????? ??? ?? ???? ?????
> My heart aches to see that the only few who have been protected are beginning to tread the same path of the rest, on the same bases.
> Moulana, do you really feel convinced you going to get somewhere by opening this door under the pretext of ???? ????????.
> Shaikh Awwaamah once said: If the Deobandis begin to stray then there is no one else left in the world (as a big group still holding HAQ in place).
> ???? ????? ??? ???? ?? ???? ????
> Yaa Allaah! Grant us your sibghah!
> Today I met an Arab Islamic scholar. We had a lenghty discussion on the Ilmi methods used in the world. He asked me: Can't we import some of your Ulama to start up a Madrasah in some Arab country's markaz, to bring the original method of Ilm like you still have it back to life in this part of the world? He expressed his pains over the condition of Ilm here. By the way, he was a tableeghi, but a man of the soil here, a former lecturer in Islamic sciences.
> How much more am I going to go on writing. Instead of placing our Deen and the Deen of the masses at risk, why don't we give every energy we have into bringing back the originality of Sunnah, and depth of Ilm and amal, in the original ways of propagating that were adopted by EVERY NABI of Allah...
and then see the results Sahabah achieved with no zaahiri asbaab materializing.
> Hazrat, please maaf any gustaakhi. I know that I have written with jazbah. But it is only because of what I see and experience daily.
> May Allah guide us.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
ultimda horaf

I know of the following Ulama that are confirmed

Ml Rawat
Ml Ragie
Sh Salama

When Shaykhuna Yusuf al Qardhawi was in Newtown musjid. Ml Bham was getting agitated with constant pics that were being taken. Then they forgot about this ikhtilaaf, then it was Haraam ..... and..... Now?

Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #19
ultimda horaf

Nur-ul-Islam musjid has big signs saying that photography etc is not allowed in "this' musjid. First it was our Malay ulama that was too lenient, too modern and now that the Indian ulama do it, well.... Now theres ikhtilaaf

I hate to bring in race, but its one aspect that we must not loose sight of. Becuase in the past they played that card all the time.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
unishisse

I watched ITV 'cause someone said there are many Arab women on the shows! Now my wife is upset.
SO you do watch tv, so why do you want to condemn the ulama for being on TV. if we make the means haraam then the purpose should also be haraam. the means is to come on air, the purpose is entertainment/education.

Reply to Thread New Thread