LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
patrycjakolekk

Default Suggest a Biblical "Cliff's Notes"
So, my husband and I are atheist/agnostic yet have extensive knowledge of the Bible due to religious training as kids and teens. We don't attend church, but would like our daughter to have some knowledge of the Bible in a factual sense. I think that having very little knowledge of a text which is so influential in peoples lives can hinder empathy and understanding. My husband and I have discussed many aspects with her and her social studies class taught world religions, but the unit discussing Christianity and Judaism was very short as it was assumed that most kids already have exposure to it.

She's 14 and an advanced reader, but easily loses interest in books that aren't action-packed. She loves books by Christopher Moore, Anne Rice, etc. I'm considering getting her the R. Crumb Genesis. This only covers book one, however. Any suggestions for an interesting summary of the Bible for a non-believer?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
KahiroSamo

I find this pretty amusing:

Skeptic's Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon

Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
pE71J5Sw

^beat me to it.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
soonahonsefalh

I recommend the works of Paul G. Humber.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
dr-eavealer

Most of the biblical stories in modern culture come from Genesis, Exodus, and the Christian Gospels.

Giving her the Crumb Genesis then watching The Ten Commandments and Jesus Christ Superstar (or Mel Gibson's Passion movie, if you want less singing and more antisemitism) wouldn't be a terrible background.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
DrKirkNoliss

I think this is a good idea as a part of a larger "world religions" education.

I was raised by non-religious (but not atheist) parents and I found myself religiously illiterate as a result. I've been declaring my atheism since I was 11, but I do think religious education is important even to the non-religious.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
duncanalisstmp

I think this is a good idea as a part of a larger "world religions" education.

I was raised by non-religious (but not atheist) parents and I found myself religiously illiterate as a result. I've been declaring my atheism since I was 11, but I do think religious education is important even to the non-religious.
The sad thing about religious class is that they only teach "their" religion. Much of it is from a 5-10 year old mentality/ perspective. I would be more open to religious class if it was taught in a broader sense, otherwise to me it seems more akin to brainwashing that isn't very educational.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
TZtrDuso

What religious class are you talking about?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Blellurgews

Most of the biblical stories in modern culture come from Genesis, Exodus, and the Christian Gospels.

Giving her the Crumb Genesis then watching The Ten Commandments and Jesus Christ Superstar (or Mel Gibson's Passion movie, if you want less singing and more antisemitism) wouldn't be a terrible background.
I like that idea^^. Esp Jesus Christ superstar, probably one of the best movies ever. I might have to watch it on YouTube right now, its just that good... WHY do you want to know, don't you mind about the future, don't you try to think ahead! save tomorrow for tomorrow, think about today instead...

YouTube - Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) What's The Buzz/Strange Thing Mystifying (3) (((Stereo)))

Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Searmoreibe

If she is interested in learning more about Judaism, she can contact your local synagogue (I'd suggest reform or conservative) and ask about up coming holiday festivals. Most will welcome people who are interested about learning more (Rabbis are first and foremost teachers). A lot of times they will have celebrations with lots of kids from the Hebrew school participating and explaining the history and aspects of the celebration. And you are unlikely to come across anyone proselytizing, just happy to share the information.

Particularly fun holidays for kids are:
Purim 2/28
Sukkot 9/23
Hanukah 12/2

Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #11
jokiruss

She might find books by Emmett Fox interesting.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #12
Dertrioz

What religious class are you talking about?
Sunday School

Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 AM   #13
7kitthuptarill

Yeah, there are other, better choices for religious education for those not seeking conversion.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:14 AM   #14
myhackingtosh_ws

That's meant as indoctrination, not as anything to do with comparative religions or history of religion.

If I ever have children, while the other kids are having nonsense crammed into their brains they'll be watching Cosmos on whatever format it is then instead.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #15
SHpuntik

Buy her a New Revised Standard Edition of the Bible and just have her read the damn thing, or at least the first five books of the Old Testament and the Gospels. None of the individual stories or books is really that long, and (as Alex in A Clockwork Orange pointed out) there are all sorts of exciting stories of sex and murder in there.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 AM   #16
AmericaAirline 111

My favorite is all the laws and junk cuz it's essentially the law code from an ancient civilization.

Also it's hilarious in its barbarity.

My other favorite is the story where she-bears eat children.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #17
AlexanderDrew

I like that idea^^. Esp Jesus Christ superstar, probably one of the best movies ever. I might have to watch it on YouTube right now, its just that good... WHY do you want to know, don't you mind about the future, don't you try to think ahead! save tomorrow for tomorrow, think about today instead...

YouTube - Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) What's The Buzz/Strange Thing Mystifying (3) (((Stereo)))
Oh Gawd yes. When the movie was in the theaters I recall I saw it 3 or 4 times. Kind Herrod's song is my favorite number.

YouTube - Jesus Christ Superstar (1973) King Herods Song (16) (((Stereo)))

Old 01-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #18
68AttendGem

I want a gold lame fishnet shawl, some ugly trannies and my own private island!

To balance out JCSS, I recommend Scorsese's Last Temptation, which is slow but makes you think at the end.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #19
Doncarlito

One of the problems with basing one's biblical knowledge upon Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments" is that, unlike in the Torah, there is a character, Nefretiri, (played by Frank Lloyd Wright's granddaughter, Anne Baxter), who utters the line, ``Oh Moses, you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool!"

Old 01-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #20
RagonaCon

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!

Reply to Thread New Thread