LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Clesylafabada

Default Joyous Kwanzaa
As many in the world wind down from Christmas celebrations on December 25, the weeklong celebration of Kwanzaa begins on December 26. Kwanzaa is held in the United States to honor universal African heritage and culture.

Kwanzaa participants light a candle holder called a kinara. The seven days of celebration including lighting candles, libations, gift giving and a feast. The Kwanzaa holiday was created by Ron Karenga. The first Kwanzaa celebration occurred from December 26, 1966 to January 1, 1967.

Wikipedia reports Kwanzaa creator Ron Karenga stated that his goal was to, "give Blacks an alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society."

The first Kwanzaa postage stamp was issued by the US Postal Service in 1997. The seven principles of Kwanzaa are wonderful for everyone to consider with the New Year upon us:

Umoja (Unity):
Kujichagulia (Self-Determination
Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility
Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics)
Nia (Purpose)
Kuumba (Creativity)
Imani (Faith) Habari Gani and Joyous Kwanzaa 2009 | Gather

Old 12-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Unhappu

I won't p!ss on anybody's parade, but I even though I support the concepts, it's hard to get worked up over things like Collective Work and Responsibility and Cooperative Economics.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
smokeberly

If they practiced even half of what they preach it would be a better world.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
Vitoethiche

That describes all of humanity. Could you be a little less specific?

Old 12-27-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
scemHeish

Umoja (Unity):
Kujichagulia (Self-Determination
Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility
Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics)
Nia (Purpose)
Kuumba (Creativity)
Imani (Faith)

sounds good to me! Joyous Kwanzaa, Merry Christmas, (add your favorite celebratory adjective and solstice holiday if not previously mentioned) to all PS-ers!

Old 12-27-2009, 01:56 AM   #6
ClorrerVeks

Who are "They" in this context? The few people I've met who actually celebrated Zwanzaa actually do "practice what they preach", which makes your statement rather curious to me.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #7
Ibrattnofich

But they do practice.

Read into that list, but use a little humor.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
ZIDouglas

Kwanzaa reminds me of Count Blackula.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
Erwtbimp

Who are "They" in this context? The few people I've met who actually celebrated Zwanzaa actually do "practice what they preach", which makes your statement rather curious to me.
I meant if all blacks celebrated their holiday and practiced at least half of those points....it would be a better world.

How can people celebrate a holiday that was concocted by a man who is a convicted felon, a Marxist and a black militant? Karenga is the head of Organization Us which rivals the BPP.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
MormefWrarebe

I meant if all blacks celebrated their holiday and practiced at least half of those points....it would be a better world.
Yes, and if all "whites" celebrated their holiday and practiced even half of its principles...it would be a better world.

How can people celebrate a holiday that was concocted by a man who is a convicted felon, a Marxist and a black militant? Karenga is the head of Organization Us which rivals the BPP.
I don't know. How can people celebrate a holiday in honor of someone who was a convicted heretic, executed by the authorities for it?

And a joyous Kwanzaa to you too, mixiboi!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
Eviftilia

How many people celebrate a holiday that was concocted by a Jewish militant Communist free-love guru who ran a commune, and was not only convicted by the state, but executed by it?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
xanaxnewtrader

Yes, and if all "whites" celebrated their holiday and practiced even half of its principles...it would be a better world.
I dont know about you but its a better world on my end...

Old 12-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
viawbambutt

How many people celebrate a holiday that was concocted by a Jewish militant Communist free-love guru who ran a commune, and was not only convicted by the state, but executed by it?
Oh I do I do!

That and he can change water into wine and part the red sea......no wait now I have that mixed up...

Old 12-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Galinastva

That and he can change water into wine
And distributed it, raising the ire of the Liquor Control Board.

and part the red sea...... That wasn't the kid, it was his old man. But he didn't file an Environmental Impact Statement, or get any of the needed permits. Friggin' scofflaws!

Reply to Thread New Thread