LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
MedicineForUs

i think it depends on the individual dog, and i'm sure guardian breeds (dobes, rotties, gsd) are more inclined to know, that doesn't mean that all of them make good guard dogs.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
bahrain41

What a good boy! You must be a little shaken up - give that boy a steak!

Amy seems to love all people, but once during a very early morning walk she let out a low growl at a guy I'd never seen before who was walking toward us. The fur on her back was standing straight up in a ridge from neck to tail. I'd never seen her like that. I started to correct her and then thought "nahh" and the guy adjusted course quickly. Still not sure what that was all about but I'm glad to have her with me.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Nzmoafzn

I'm a little surprised that the Minpin wasn't on that like a dirty shirt. I have three Pins, and if a friggin leaf drops the wrong way outside all hell breaks loose.....THEN my other dogs start up. Those little buggers have superpowers in hearing...

Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
embefuri

I'm a little shocked too because my Dachshund/MinPin mix is usually the first to bark. Then Jud and then Snow.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
pE71J5Sw

Good pup! Sandi is useless as a guard dog, people can drive up to the house & she won't bat an eyelid even as they walk up to the door, but if we are asleep or, so I've been told, not at home she will react noisily to people coming close to the property. She has woken me a couple of times baying & barking in full hackle mode and I've seen a car crawling past. She alerted the neighbour to an intruder awhile back too, some kid casing the house from the garden, the dog shot outside & went ballistic so she came out to see what all the fuss was about.
I reckon they can pick up on people's tenseness, movement, footfall & possibly even their vibe. The vast majority of people they meet have obvious intentions and I'm sure somebody thinking of a potentially risky criminal activity & being stealthy will be in a different physical state & the dogs recognise this.
Same with other dogs, 99% of the time no dramas, just doggy hellos & the usual hierarchy antics but now & again with no apparent trigger it will be all on with a strange dog. Probably the dog equivalent of a hard case thug.....

Old 09-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
poekfpojoibien

Default Can american staffordshires tell when their is danger more than other breeds of dogs?
I have a Min-Pin mix and a american staffordshire terrier. Two nights ago i noticed 3 males standing out front of my house across the street, i didn't think anything of it at the time until 2 AM when my staffys barking woke me up, mean while my min-pin was sleeping peacefully. I went out to the kitchen where my staffy was barking- he was on TOP of the sink barking viciously at the window above the sink- he is a good soild 85 pounds so i am amazed how he got up there. I turned on a light and seen the same 3 males trying to get in the door beside the kitchen window. since they were on my property i let my staffy outside and he went after them until they jumped back over my fence. if it wasnt for my staffy barking i wouldnt have known about the guys trying to get in my house. can they tell when there is danger more than other dogs? he has always been very protective of me and my mother. When i was around 17 i went for a walk with him at night and a guy was walking towards us and my staffy stopped dead in his tracks and let out a low pitch growl then the guy turned around and went the other way- however after that a few other people walked towards us and my staffy didnt do anything to them, he actually let them pet him lol. it's like he can tell if someone is bad or good. it's weird. Has anyone else had this happen?

Reply to Thread New Thread