LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
art_fan_12

Default publix bones are the best
ok so i picked up this bone thing at publix, called butcher shoppe, i first bought one like a month ago, and it is still not ate all the way, only a little bit, but my dogs love it and chew on it all the time, so today i went and got this HUGE one for 3.99 calvin cant even fit it in his mouth, but i just wanted to tell yall about it, just in case you havent heard of them or what. they are great and inexpensive and they last a long time, calvin is a heavy chewer on everything and since getting these bones, instead of finding something to chew on he just chews on these, for the most part. i put a pic of them i found online

Old 08-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
aceriscoolon

Be careful with those. One of those cooked beef bones is what caused Kitty to have to get emergency obstruction surgery. My parents feed bones similar to that, and we suspect Kitty found one in their yard, because I don't give them to my dogs.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
creewespock

Like libby said be careful. Cooked bones can crake spliter and cause obstructions. A raw marrow bone would be a much safer choice.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
Uhmavano

Technically they aren't cooked I don't think. They are processed to a degree ... but not "cooked". In other words ... they don't splinter like cooked bones.

They look similar to what I've been giving the dogs for 5 years or so ... Merrick "The Sarge" ... and Merrick bones are safe (when supervised)

We just had a Publix open here. I'll HAVE to check it out. My guess is they're on the pet foot aisle ... right ??

Old 08-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
pitoufsd

i like instinct raw bones my dogs love them and there's a bunch of meat on them too

Old 08-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
UrUROFlS

We have those Butcher Shoppe bones here. Do you remember Destiny? That is the bone that she ate, that made her sick, and a week later made her completely stop eating due to the vomiting she had done the day after eating it. I had xrays done and they said there were no splinters anywhere, but I swear that was it.

Have you tried elk antlers? Tyson loves his

Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Xxedxevh

I won't give any kind of processed bones to my dogs, they are getting the naturally shed deer/elk antlers or raw marrow bones. but they only get the MB's until all the meat and good stuff has been gotten off them then they are thrown out.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Pdarassenko

I've still got Merrick "The Sarge" bones that are a coupla YEARS old. The dogs STILL have favorites. While all the meat is long gone ... they still chew on the bones ... it cleans their teeth ... and they get extra calcium. No reason to throw them out ... yet.

The thing is, "The Sarge" is the only bone I've ever found that is tough enough to stand up to these chewers. EVERY other packaged bone just doesn't cut it. The dogs will destroy them (except the sarge) in one sitting and swallow large bone bits if I don't watch them. While "The Sarge" is 6-7 bucks a bone ... nothing else comes close to giving me the piece of mind I need when giving the dogs real bones to gnaw on.

The grocers around here don't have meaty bones available from the meat department. I guess they don't actually do REAL butchering stuff back there. Maybe most of the meat they get is already broken down and some even pre-packaged,

Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Pdarassenko

Joe I wish a Publix would open here! Thats one thing I miss about Alabama...Publix. D:

Anyways those bones are identical to the ones I get off of Amazon around Christmas for my dogs. Between Snow and Zeus who got bones last year, Neither have them have splintered, they both still have a nice portion of the bone left and is well worth the $8 dollars I spent.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Diwokfkq

Joe I wish a Publix would open here! Thats one thing I miss about Alabama...Publix. D:
I don't usually shop at the big box grocers ... big box = big prices.

There are two Independent Grocers nearer to me than the big box stores and both of them are cost +10%. Not only are the Independent Grocers LOTS cheaper on everyday items ... they have MUCH better sale prices than the big boys.The only time I go to a big box store is for a specialty item not available from the little guys.

That said, I did just get back from Publix. They didn't have the whole bones like pictured in the OP ... they had (among others), what would be one of those bones cut in half, for $2.49 each. I got Mason & Sugar one each and they're enjoying them NOW !!! ... and I got an 8 piece chicken combo dinner (chicken, rolls, slaw and beans for 4 ... $9.99) from the deli ... which I'm enjoying RIGHT NOW

Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
Erwtbimp

Publix is great. I get 2 lbs of ox tail for less than two bucks. I get nice femurs, awesome tripe and a wide variety of organs etc. All for super good prices. They also carry rabbit. It's a little more expensive and I get it once in a while.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Catieliecutty

Technically they aren't cooked I don't think. They are processed to a degree ... but not "cooked". In other words ... they don't splinter like cooked bones.

They look similar to what I've been giving the dogs for 5 years or so ... Merrick "The Sarge" ... and Merrick bones are safe (when supervised)

We just had a Publix open here. I'll HAVE to check it out. My guess is they're on the pet foot aisle ... right ??
At our Publix they actually have them on the end of an aisle in the frozen food. They aren't kept frozen but for some reason they have them set out by the frozen foods. They have always had them there. lol

I've considered getting one for my dog on several different occasions but never have I just know that those will completely stain the carpet and she won't go out on the patio to chew a bone. Stubborn little thing.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
NumsAmenniams

Be very careful feeding any processed bones or weight bearing bones of any kind. They can and WILL fracture teeth and as Libby said can also cause obstructions.

Why not get a nice Nylabone or Kong toy for recreational chewing? Or diet appropriate RMB's... chicken backs do a real nice job of cleaning up teeth with far less risk than the wreck bones listed so far in this thread...

Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
harriettvanders

Ew Nylabone! D: My dogs swallow Chunks of that no matter what size I gave them. I had to stop Nylabones.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
floadaVonfoli

I love Publix, but mostly for the BUY one GET one FREE....and then you really have to make sure they are a good deal.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
apatteopipt

yea they pretty much stain the carpet, or sheet in my case, but if its a darker color i dont think you would notice, they also leave little peices everywhere they eat it,
and nalyabones are great i love them

Reply to Thread New Thread