LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
slimsex

My dad walks his dog for over an hour. I don't walk my dog that long. But I plan to. She has so much energy. I have to do better to make sure she gets even exercise.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Vkowefek

I walk the dog two time a day. I walk him one hour the right after I feed him. This is adequate exercise for him and a perfect time to go to the bathroom of course.

Old 02-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Mymnnarry

My chihuahua loves his walking and would go all day if we let him, so as much walking as possible is good come rain or shine, or snow or wind. Yeah sometimes walking your dog is not pleasant but remember its not something you can not do. They need and thrive on their walkies...

Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #4
anconueys

Although this is an old thread...
Dogs love a good exercise. It's also good for them to get out of the house. They're not generally lazy dogs. If you want a lazy pet then cats would be perfect :P

Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
rujeltaoser

I have two smaller house dogs and take them for at least one decent half hour-hour walk once a day. Then I will just make sure they go out to do their business throughout the rest of the day.

They love to get out of the house but if I can tucker them out early on in the day then they are pretty pooped.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Cersdog

It'd would be a waste to not walk a dog in a park. Depending on the dog breed, dog walks are normally 30 minutes to two hours (an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening).

Dogs with particularly high energy need more walking time, running with them or using a bike will make the exercise more fun. High energy dogs include dalmatians, boxers and herding breeds.

Dogs such as bulldogs, shih-tzus and small terriers will require less exercise.

I walk my dogs for 45 minutes to an hour to release their pent up energy every night.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Hdzcxqoi

Each dog is different and requires a different amount of exercise. A German Shepherd will need a lot more exercise than a Pug will, for example. Labs are pretty good because they are athletic and want to run and play but they also adapt to your lifestyle. I have a Lab and she goes out a couple times a day to poop and run around for a bit and she is happy doing that then coming inside and taking naps all day.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
TheBest-Host

My dog and I generally talk two 1-2 mile runs a day weather depending. It has gotten cold, so we have started to bundle. When it rains, we are in and out pretty quick. My dog is a lab. I would not do the same with a little dog.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
nryFBa9i

Our dog usually come along when we do a morning walk for about an hour. He would then play on his own for another 30 minutes or until he feels tired. We usually know that when he ended up going to the corner of our front yard under the tree and rest.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Sleflanna

Default How much time walking
I would like to get a dog but my mum said you have to spend hours every day walking it. I just wondering how often you walk your dog and how long. We have a big garden and parks nearby.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Dr. Shon Thomson

I think there are a lot of factors really. A puppy will need a lot of attention even when you're not walking it. A young-middle aged dog still needs a fair bit of walking - if you rescue an elderly dog then it'll need a lot less. Different breeds need different levels of exercise, huskies and border collies are famous for needing a lot of exercise, small dogs will need a lot less. I have a middle aged german shepherd and I'd say around 1 hour per day is plenty. My border collie cross needed more when he was younger, but now he's older he has arthritis and can only go on short walks.

So if you do not have a lot of time a smaller, older breed will probably be better but they do require a lot of time and energy and a lot of research before you get one

Old 09-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
BenBoobmers

I would allow at least 1 - 2 hours a day no matter what breed you are getting.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Blaxastij

My dog and I generally talk two 1-2 mile runs a day weather depending. It has gotten cold, so we have started to bundle. When it rains, we are in and out pretty quick. My dog is a lab. I would not do the same with a little dog.
There's not really any reason not to walk a lot with a small dog, I think some of my small dogs enjoy walking more than my lab! Many small breeds tend to be hyper and need a lot of exercise - papillions are a good example of that. Oh and my lab hates water, she won't even walk outside if it's raining. Go figure!

Stamina depends more on the individual dog than the breed.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Tauntenue

I don't usually time my walks with my dog, but if I had to, I would say about an hour to an hour and a half average each day. Maybe sometimes two hours if I'm feeling good. It's a good amount of time for us both to exercise. I agree that you have to let your dogs out for hours because a house is just not a natural environment for them. They get so happy when you take them out that you realize that if it were just safe and they wouldn't get lost, you would just let them go as they pleased.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
teentodiefows

My dog will go outside several times a day. We will walk for about an hour or so each night that the weather's nice. It is good for them to get out everyday at least 3 times. Once for a walk or somewhere they can run around freely is needed and then 2 more times to do their business and stretch their legs.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
BigMovies

It depends on the Breed really, We used to have Husky's and German Shepard's we walked them 2/3 times a day but usually over 2 hours each walk. If you don't walk your dog enough it'll become bored and this usually ends in destruction. Bigger breeds obviously need more walking than smaller ones. Research the breed before you buy it and you shouldn't have any problems.

Was going to get another Dog but due to college I wouldn't be able to walk it enough, so we decided not to get one because it wouldn't be fair on the dog, to be kept inside all day.

A dog is a big decision so I'd think about it before deciding to buy one.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
Lydiaswingert

Hmm.. I don't usually walk my dog... It would take about a half day of walk to get him tired I'm taking him on 30 minute runs with my bicycle. He really enjoys it And it's really good for me, because I don't have to cycle too much, He's doing the hard work instead of me

Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #18
Mark_NyB

We have had several dogs over time, and I have never had to spend hours walking them. It is good for your dog to get a workout in everyday, just like it is for us. We have a fenced in back yard. I would normally just let the dogs go outside and run the back yard everyday. This I think is the best way. If you have a yard fenced in, I would just simply suggest let the dog play outside. If you do not have a fence then you could pick up a chain at your local animal store or supper center. Make sure your chain is the right size for your dog. If you get one too weak then they can break it and run off. If it is too heavy the poor thing will not be able to move. Also if you do not have a yard I would think it would be good to go for a walk with your dag every day.I would not think you would have to spend hours walking them but a good thirty min. I would think would be a good time. You could call a local vets office and simply ask. It may depend on the size of the dog too. Good luck and I hope you do get a dog. They are such sweet things to have.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #19
Immarsecice

I make it sure that my dogs play at least an hour a day. I usually bring them with me when I have an afternoon walk in the beach.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #20
masterso

It really depends on the type of dog. What breed of dog is it? Smaller dogs do not need to be walked as far. I have a golden doodle, who has a lot of energy. What she needs is to be walked every day for about an hour. I only walk her a few times a week around the block however, I do make sure I take her to the dog park often. This way she can play with other dogs.

Reply to Thread New Thread