LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
AnypecekceS

Default keeping Bane cool.
As some of you know its getting hot down here in Arizona fast, since bane has black fur i know he will get hotter out here then most dogs,
Well im very active here in the summer, lots of hiking, swimming or just hanging out and i do this all by the river and lakes,

Im wondering is there any tips on keeping bane cool? I always make sure theres lots of clean water to drink an stay in the shade but there's not much shade just open desert

The temps will be in the hundreds soon too

I took him out today on a walk and he seemed so hot i felt sad for the little guy

Old 04-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Natashasuw

If you can get him into the water to cool off, that would be great. If not, bring a towel with you to wet down and drape on him.

You can also get a "cooling jacket".. it's reflective and keeps a lot of the heat off dark coated dogs.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
AnypecekceS

You reply fast thank you
Iam trying to get him used to the water but he's not so sure of it yet,

A cooling jacket? Hmm sounds interesting
Maybe something like this?

Dog Cooling Jacket | CozyWinters.com

Old 04-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
clomoll

I try to go places that have water as that is the quickest way to cool them down and when they get hot, even dogs that are unsure will get in the water! All of mine will from the French Bulldog to the Dogo.

I also carry handtowels with me and will soak them in water and put on them if the look like they are getting too hot. Rocky the Frenchie gets a handtowel cape. I just stick it around his collar and he will wear it.

Watch your dog and stop him if he appears to be getting too hot. Some of my hardheads will keep going long after they should have stopped. Casper is the worlds worst, he won't come back until he is foaming at the mouth and collapsing from exhaustion. So in extreme heat, I keep him leashed unless there is water about he can get into.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
bonyclayd

Get a kitty pool if you have a place to put one, and keep his paw pads cool with wet/cool towel.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Natashasuw

You reply fast thank you
Iam trying to get him used to the water but he's not so sure of it yet,

A cooling jacket? Hmm sounds interesting
Maybe something like this?

Dog Cooling Jacket | CozyWinters.com

Wow, that's way more high-tech than the ones I've seen! LOL

I'll have to ask my Borzoi friends where they got theirs and what they're called, I can't seem to find them online. But they're basically like the things you put in your car windows to reflect out the heat... they're really lightweight and not tight fighting on the dog.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
Preegovesem

A
Im wondering is there any tips on keeping bane cool? I always make sure theres lots of clean water to drink an stay in the shade but there's not much shade just open desert

The temps will be in the hundreds soon too

I took him out today on a walk and he seemed so hot i felt sad for the little guy
Swimming would be fine if that's what you're going out to do.

With temps over a hundred and you just out for a hike or walk -- leave the dog home.

Common sense, guys. Dogs CAN'T cool themselves like we do and get hotter a lot more quickly than we do.

Carla

Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
OlegSan

I have a Ruffwear Swamp Cooler jacket for my old man AmStaf when it gets warm. It seems to help a lot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #9
VIDEOHITE

My friend brings bandanas, wets them down before and along their walk if they find water and keeps them on the dogs. My two have pretty wide collars so when they get wet it keeps them cool for awhile. I'll be getting them cooling jackets this year though, it looks like it's gonna get real hot, real fast.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
Avoireeideree

I've got a swamp cooler too.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Swamp-Cooler...from-Ruff-Wear

The only thing you have to be careful of with cooling vests that you wet, is you can't just wet them once and leave them on all day. On a super hot day here (30 degrees celsius) I may have to re-wet after 45 minutes.

There are vests with actual ice cooling packs, but I can't be bothered. I just put it in the sink with cold water or use a hose. I know other people who use them at agility trials, they fill a cooler up with some water and ice and dunk it in there throughout the day.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
aaaaaaahabbbby

I bought both of mine a cooling vest and they are comfortable even when camping in the 90+ degrees weather. Then I thought something is wrong with this picture so I ordered myself a cooling vest. We now can take walks in the heat without frying. I do take them on grass or dirt paths instead of concrete or asphalt to protect their feet from burning though.
The vests are not cheap but to me they are well worth the price. I have these for my dogs: http://cozywinters.com/shop/cool-k9-jacket.html and since they have polymer crystals they hold water for hours on end. Takes about a week of hanging to completely dry them for storage.

Reply to Thread New Thread