LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
DoniandaCoado

Default Angry in Vermont, stupid owners
Couple weeks ago a neighbor's German Shepard escaped and attacked our puppy (Mickey). He had Mickey in his mouth violently shaking him. I started beating the Shepard over the head with a metal shovel until he let go. Then my dog ran inside and the Shepard tried to follow. The Shepard was trying to push his way into our home, I was on the other side of the door trying to close it with everything I had in me. I eventually started beating him with the shovel again, until he decided he was too injured to continue and left.
To fix this problem I had my husband go and install a new fence for the nieghbor.
Last night my 3 year old daughter, Mickey (our puppy) and I were outside. We were not in the fenced in part of our yard because my daughter wanted to ride her bike.
I was on the porch, getting my daughter's tricycle out. All the sudden Mickey bolts inside, still tied up. He bolted inside with such force that he snapped his collar in half. Then I heard screaming from my daughter, who was about 10 feet away from me. She had her back turned to the German Shepard, while he was jumping on her and barking. Somehow I flew to my daughter, I really only took one giant leap. At this point the Shepard had my 3 year old daughter on the ground, and he was on top of her. I gave him a kick in the ribs, with such force I never thought I had. I swooped my daughter up in my arms and continued to attack the dog while he tried to attack me. It seemed like forever I was fending this massive 100+ pound dog off, trying to protect my daughter. Eventually the owner came.
While my daughter was in my arms crying, and I was comforting her, the owner knocks on my door. Instead of asking if my daughter was ok she told me that “I really don't want to lose my dog”. To make a long story semi-short I had a very vulgar conversation with her, which is not like me at all.
The night when my daughter was bit I took pictures of her back., There are clearly claw marks down her back and the imprints of his teeth in her back. Thankfully it didn't break the skin, but it's the point that this women is clearly not capable of controlling her dog. I should have called the police when this happened, but I was afraid of her calling the city. She knows we do not have permits for the construction that has been completed on this house, and the projects which are in progress. At this point I don't care how much they fine me, I feel like if I don't act he could either scar my child for the rest of her life or kill her.
I have decided to extend the fencing all the way to our back door, because at this point my daughter is afraid of even walking from the back door to the gate that opens up to our backyard.
I have taken the lock off of my smith&wesson semi-auto 40 caliber pistol. It now sits nicely in my holster every time I go outside, even if I’m just walking to the car. My 16 gauge shot gun is also sitting in the door way, ready to make this dog look like swiss cheese.
I'm sorry for the long post, I guess I'm so upset that I just need to get it out, or kill this SOB. If my dog ever did this to a child, or anyone, I would euthanize. Obviously some owners just don't care about others.
Am I over-reacting?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
hiedeemom

Honestly, I don't have any sympathy for you since you chose TWICE not to call the police or animal control to report this animal or his owner. My dad was mauled by a german shepherd as a child and has a lifelong fear of dogs now.

You're not doing anyone any favors by letting this go. How will the mother of the child who is killed feel when they find out that you didn't report this uncontrolled and vicious animal? If my child was attacked and I found out that you decided not to report previous attacks I would sue you as well as the owner of the dog. This is serious stuff.

Call the police today and report it. They're not going to come in your house and make sure everything is in compliance. Having improper permits is a civil matter, not a police one.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
noingenah

You should be mindful of your daughters safety with several guns all over the house. You do not want your daughter to get hurt by your guns by accident. I say that b/c my neighbor's kid was killed by a gun that was too accessible while playing at a friends house 2 weeks before Christmas last year. Tragic. But this is not he forum for that. I would def report the dog owner. You are right to extend your fence to protect your family but this dog could hurt others. The owner needs to be able to handle her dog. I am so sorry to that your family has to live next to this bad pet owner.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
DoniandaCoado

Honestly, I don't have any sympathy for you since you chose TWICE not to call the police or animal control to report this animal or his owner. My dad was mauled by a german shepherd as a child and has a lifelong fear of dogs now.

You're not doing anyone any favors by letting this go. How will the mother of the child who is killed feel when they find out that you didn't report this uncontrolled and vicious animal? If my child was attacked and I found out that you decided not to report previous attacks I would sue you as well as the owner of the dog. This is serious stuff.

Call the police today and report it. They're not going to come in your house and make sure everything is in compliance. Having improper permits is a civil matter, not a police one.
You are right. I didn't think of it like that, I guess I was just thinking about myself, and not other people's children. I'm just worried that because I reported it today nothing will be done. I'm really kicking myself in the ass for it today. I guess I couldn't keep my cool when this incident happened, and just couldn't think logically. I was just so upset.
And I am a complete fool for actaully believing this woman after the first time.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
DoniandaCoado

You should be mindful of your daughters safety with several guns all over the house. You do not want your daughter to get hurt by your guns by accident. I say that b/c my neighbor's kid was killed by a gun that was too accessible while playing at a friends house 2 weeks before Christmas last year. Tragic. But this is not he forum for that. I would def report the dog owner. You are right to extend your fence to protect your family but this dog could hurt others. The owner needs to be able to handle her dog. I am so sorry to that your family has to live next to this bad pet owner.
There are safety devices for firearms. If something is not in a gun cabinet it is locked. (locked with a key)
But, this is my fault. I was such an idiot. I don't know what came over me. When this happened I was just worried about my daughter, furious and just scared. Calling the police wasn't something I really thought of. There were just so many emotions involved, and no logical reasoning skills. It's hard to explain

Old 06-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Adimos

If that was my kid they would have been having a funeral for Fluffy in the backyard. I have zero tolerance for unruly dogs with stupid owners

Old 06-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
hiedeemom

You are right. I didn't think of it like that, I guess I was just thinking about myself, and not other people's children. I'm just worried that because I reported it today nothing will be done. I'm really kicking myself in the ass for it today. I guess I couldn't keep my cool when this incident happened, and just couldn't think logically. I was just so upset.
And I am a complete fool for actaully believing this woman after the first time.
Wow, thank you for actually listening and not flipping out at me. I think I missed the part where you said you did finally report it. Even if they don't do anything, there's a record. Good for you. It's hard to feel like the asshole, especially when you want to be nice and neighborly. But YOU didn't do anything wrong, so please remember that. This woman is 100% at fault for not controlling her dog, and it's not on your conscience if the dog is euthanized and she is fined.

You shouldn't have to live in fear in your own home.

I had a german shepherd in the townhouse next to me for a while that would bark and try to get over the fence to get at me. It was still young but I knew it was a matter of time before it got over the fence and got to me. I talked to the owners and they refused to do anything about it, just assuring me that the dog was friendly. I couldn't go in my own yard without carrying a big old knife to defend myself. I couldn't rent out the place for a while because of that damned dog. It DID end up jumping the fence, but on the other side, and was hit by a car on the highway. My problem was solved. Too bad for the dog but the owners should have been more responsible.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
hiedeemom

There are safety devices for firearms. If something is not in a gun cabinet it is locked. (locked with a key)
But, this is my fault. I was such an idiot. I don't know what came over me. When this happened I was just worried about my daughter, furious and just scared. Calling the police wasn't something I really thought of. There were just so many emotions involved, and no logical reasoning skills. It's hard to explain
It's understandable. Adrenaline will fuck up your thought processes for a while. That's why when you get a car accident you call insurance right away and don't say or agree to anything with the other owner.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
DoniandaCoado

I do feel responsible. I was not pro-active after the first incident. I was a fool.
If my dog escaped and attacked another dog, and tried so fiercely to continue pursuing that dog, I would

A. build a 10 foot fence with barb-wire around it (lol).
B. never let him be outside unsupervised. (Which almost 99% of people do with escape artist dogs)

I guess I just thought that this woman was rational, and would take the same preventative steps I would take if in the same position. Now, thinking back I was so naive.

In my area, no one really puts up a fuss about dogs escaping and running and muck. A neighbor down the street was bit, and received stitches from a Bernese (sp?) mountain dog. Nothing came of it. So, now my other neighbors are looking at me like a complete lunatic. One told me today not to worry about the Shepard because he could have bit my daughter a lot harder than he did. If I am correct, that is not an indication that he is safe.

*Bit by a B Mountain dog and recieved stitches.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
tsamprasxx

Sounds like a law suit to me. You took photos of the bite. Contact a lawyer.
Your child was attacked scratched, bit, knocked to the ground and you didn't call the police because of not getting building permits? If you spit up in the air it will always come back in your face.
I would put that shotgun away and strap a knife to my ankle while that dog was still alive and living next door.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Antelpebabe

Maybe pepper spray? A baton? ... Or a gun

Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
hexniks

If I was in that situation that dog would no longer be breathing

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
hiedeemom

In my area, no one really puts up a fuss about dogs escaping and running and muck. A neighbor down the street was bit, and received stitches from a Bernese (sp?) mountain dog. Nothing came of it. So, now my other neighbors are looking at me like a complete lunatic. One told me today not to worry about the Shepard because he could have bit my daughter a lot harder than he did. If I am correct, that is not an indication that he is safe.

*Bit by a B Mountain dog and recieved stitches.
Your neighbors are idiots. Think about your poor daughter and how afraid she must be having the dog that attacked her still roaming around.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
ttoothh

When my sister and I were young, my neighbor had a german shepard. It attacked my Lhasa. Then it attacked a neighbor, who didn't report it. Then it bit my sister in the butt. She needed 176 stitches. My dad broke a baseball bat over its head and it continued to bite her. Dad reported it. We lived in a 2 strike area for dogs (laws have since changed). Then it ran a block away, bit a friend sun bathing. This time it bit off more than half her thigh. She nearly bled to death. Finally the dog was put down. If the first person would have reported it, our friend wouldn't have lost half her thigh.
I still have a fear of shepards of any kind. I wasn't even bit, but witnessed all the attacks.

I hope for the safety of your child and pets, your neighbors dog is put to sleep. It is the best thing for everyone.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
Aagotiq

What an insane story! You should not be forced to live in fear, I'm glad you ended up reporting the situation. IMO that's the best option for protecting your family.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
Carfanate

*******TRUTH******* you neglected to get the proper permits for building, and or doing house work as many many many people do because it saves money!!! I understand that and i would do the same thing lol!!!! HOWEVER DO NOT LET THE OWNER AND DOG GET AWAY WITH THIS!!!!!! I WOULD CALL EVERYDAY UNTIL SOMETHING IS DONE!!!! WHAT IF YOU WERE NOT SO QUICK ON YOUR FEET OR BETTER YET NOT THERE??????????? i dont think i need to answer that for you!.......... 1st thing for anyone is to PROTECT YOUR FAMILY BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #17
hiedeemom

*******TRUTH******* you neglected to get the proper permits for building, and or doing house work as many many many people do because it saves money!!! I understand that and i would do the same thing lol!!!! HOWEVER DO NOT LET THE OWNER AND DOG GET AWAY WITH THIS!!!!!! I WOULD CALL EVERYDAY UNTIL SOMETHING IS DONE!!!! WHAT IF YOU WERE NOT SO QUICK ON YOUR FEET OR BETTER YET NOT THERE??????????? i dont think i need to answer that for you!.......... 1st thing for anyone is to PROTECT YOUR FAMILY BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
SergeyMaikov

^^

Old 06-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #19
Mypepraipse

That dog would be so dead

Old 06-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #20
DoniandaCoado

When my sister and I were young, my neighbor had a german shepard. It attacked my Lhasa. Then it attacked a neighbor, who didn't report it. Then it bit my sister in the butt. She needed 176 stitches. My dad broke a baseball bat over its head and it continued to bite her. Dad reported it. We lived in a 2 strike area for dogs (laws have since changed). Then it ran a block away, bit a friend sun bathing. This time it bit off more than half her thigh. She nearly bled to death. Finally the dog was put down. If the first person would have reported it, our friend wouldn't have lost half her thigh.
I still have a fear of shepards of any kind. I wasn't even bit, but witnessed all the attacks.

I hope for the safety of your child and pets, your neighbors dog is put to sleep. It is the best thing for everyone.
Oh man... I couldn't live with myself if someone else got hurt because I did not report this right away. I'm not afraid to admit that sometimes I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm only 23, this is my first house. I guess I just need to ask my parents what to do more often. After all, they've lived in this world a lot longer than I have.
And there is absolutely no way that my neighbor will put this dog to sleep, unless she is forced. It's too bad, she has a health condition. I think it would be in her best interest as well. I'm sure her dog causing such incidents doesn't help her heart.

Thanks to everyone who wrote a response. The feed back was very appreciated.

Reply to Thread New Thread