LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
EbrsaRynleot

Like others said, no you should not be, the owners of the other dog should be because they aren't responsible enough to keep their dog contained. However, most likely you and your dogs will get the blame even though you are the one being responsible.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
xochex

Spliff: I didn't realize you rented. Go and have a discussion with the other dog's owner. Tell the owner that their are leash/containment laws and if you see their dog loose you will call AC. Whereabouts in New York are you?

The only other thing I can suggest is that while you have your dogs on their chain, is keep an eye on them and have a camera ready just in case the loose dog decides to go onto the property that you rent and start taking pictures and report it.

Josiesmama: A chain is nothing more than a tool to help contain your dog. If done properly and responsibly, there is nothing wrong with it and your dog will not become aggressive because of it.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Ad0i89Od

You should fence them in. It's always the pit bulls fault no matter what

Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
mloversia

^^ I'm in wallkill NY.the guys barely ever home the dog was given to him by somebody he never really wanted the dog.he keeps it tied out 24/7 and has a little igloo for him.hes a vicious little bastard he chases people around snarling at them.Ive tried to bring him home before and the thing tried to attack me.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Kristoferson

Its not a matter of apologizing... its a matter of actually believing what you typed...

Chaining makes a dog aggressive... thats complete and utter bullcrap.... its something that PETA and the HSUS claim.. but have no evidence to back it up.

And lastly... would you rather be outside on a chain where you can run around and get some fresh air... pee and poop at your leisure... or in a box just barely big enough for you to stand up and turn around in?

I work 12 hours a day.... if I crated all my dogs they would spend the better part of the day cooped up in a tiny little crate not able to do anything. On a chain they get plenty of exercise, have water all day, proper housing and shade... and they aren't aggressive one bit.

Why do you think it is so easy for dog thieves to steal APBTs? They aren't breaking into houses to steal them... they steal them right off the chain. Simply because they are so friendly!

I dont understand why they are on a chain....do you not realize how aggressive this could make a dog...buy a crate and bring them in..problem solved
Ok I will address the issue then..i would invest in an outside kennel if your landlord will allow you to

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

i did try to edit and delete that first message when i realized it wasn't helpul but didn' know how to do that.sorry

Old 09-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
pBiRXp8u

not quite sure where you would stand from a legal standpoint......
but nevertheless,8 foot is a very short chain....ok your dog is only chained for short spells...but even so.....why not put up a 10 foot secure run.....that way it saves you spending out for a fence and solves the problem of your neighbors dogs....also if you move home,take it with you !

Old 09-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
xochex

^^ I'm in wallkill NY.the guys barely ever home the dog was given to him by somebody he never really wanted the dog.he keeps it tied out 24/7 and has a little igloo for him.hes a vicious little bastard he chases people around snarling at them.Ive tried to bring him home before and the thing tried to attack me.
I would file a report with AC and get a copy of your report. This way, you have a report in case you might need it. Also, have your camera ready to take pictures if the dog goes onto your property where you rent again.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Usogwdkb

If he tells the neighbor can't they go back and say that he knew his dog could hurt theirs? I'd be afraid talking to the neighbors would get him in more trouble in the long run..here where i live (not sure if its the same as where you live)if you post a sign saying beware of dog..and a dog comes on your property you can get in trouble because according to the law they feel that by the sign you know you have a dangerous dog..stupid i know but it's the law here

Old 09-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
mloversia

not quite sure where you would stand from a legal standpoint......
but nevertheless,8 foot is a very short chain....ok your dog is only chained for short spells...but even so.....why not put up a 10 foot secure run.....that way it saves you spending out for a fence and solves the problem of your neighbors dogs....also if you move home,take it with you !
actually being on a 8' chain gives them alot more freedom then they would have if they were in an 10'run.and as i said they don't live on the chain there only on it during there down time. there days are loaded with activity.the issue really isn't how my dogs are contained its the way my neighbor's dog isn't.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #10
HoniSoniproca

I'm not a lawyer but IMO, you shouldn't be held liable.

I would suggest as others already have...
-take pictures everytime you see the loose dog out and about. Evidence, Evidence, Evidence.
-conact Animal Control Everytime you see the loose dog.
-I'd say write the owner a letter stating your concerns and mail it to him Registered Mail w/return receipt (More evidence). Make a copy of the letter for yourself as well. This way, IF you did have to go to court it won't be "hear say" stuff you'll actually have the hard evidence which Judges like to see.

I know here in Florida, my local Animal Control allows us to "Humanely trap" animals that come onto our property and that are nuisances. We just can't lure or trick one into coming onto our property. Our Animal Control also supplies "loaner traps" You might want to inquire about one or the laws to your local Animal Control.

You might want to talk to the Landlord and see if you could out of your own pocket pay for the fence but upon exiting the premises you promise to take it down and restore the property to its original condition and you could always sign a form stating such. I don't see a problem with him doing it this way. He does have your security deposit and all and the fence would be completely your problem not his.

Good Luck to you

Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
StarsWorld

Under normal circumstances no you shouldn't be liable but some people are very prejudice against our breed. Its sad because the little dog is HA and should be considered the more dangerous. Hopefully the irresponsible owner gets a grip and properly contains his animal or its gonna end up lunch. That said I would try and find a solution to keep other animals from getting at your dogs. Just too risky.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
nemoforone

MYbe you can buy that cheap orange construction fence? Just put itt out so the doxie can't get through?

Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
Usogwdkb

Can you not turn the tables and call on him instead then? I wonder if you called and said there is a dog loose running around trying to bite people if they wouldn't do something about it..maybe thatwould help..just a suggestion

Old 09-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #14
babopeddy

I'm like many other people who fancy this breed, I own several and not all of them get along. I do have a few dogs that are DA and I have to seperate and rotate them. I agree with NC when I'm at work where the hell do you think they would rather be, out on a chain with sunshine and shade, fresh water and fresh air or cooped up in a crate just big enough for them. Dont get me wrong I like crates and I use them but for all day every day just not big enough. I have a couple I have in kennels, chain link, made for dogs and some of my dogs have ate right through it. I have a couple of dogs that refuse to be fenced, I even tried electric fencing like I use for my livestock around the top and bottom to keep them from chewing the fence and it just pissed them off instead of making them quit, so chaining is my only option for some of them. I live in the middle of no where and I dont have a fence around my chained dogs so I know where you are coming from because even though I live way out and have no immediate neighbors I do have a neighbor hounddog that does come down from time to time and if for some reason he was to get in reach of a few of my dogs I know that it is not my fault for not having them contained, it falls on him, but simply because mine are Apbt's and Apbt mixes it will automatically be my fault so I feel for you because you are in a position that dosen't really have a great solution or quick fix.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:35 AM   #15
doctorzlo

I like Pitbullhappenings idea of trapping the nuisance dog and then drop it off at the shelter. You said the guy didn't even want the dog in the first place so he probably wouldn't miss it. Then problem solved. You also sound like you are doing the chaining right so don't let anyone tell you different. As long as they aren't on it constantly and get exercise off the chain, food, water, and shelter they are fine and it shouldn't make them "mean". I do think your landlord is an idiot for not letting you put a fence up, but what can you do about that. Take pictures and report thethe little dog every time you see it. If the worst happens and the little dog does get eaten at least you will have the proof that you tried to do something about it and if there is true justice in you area you and your dogs won't be in trouble. Oh, and do find out if you don't already know if your area has a chain law, if they do maybe that info would make your landlord let you fence the yard make sure you take measures so your dogs and others can't dig underneath it. We can't chain our dogs here and had to fence our yard, it sucked at first because we had to buy pannels as we could afford them and make it bigger and bigger until we enclosed in the whole yard. It was a pian. Good luck and I hope everythng works out.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #16
mloversia

thanks everyone for weighing in on my dilemma.im gonna take the advise on the taking pictures just in case something gos down.don't get me wrong I'm on good terms with my neighbor hes not a bad guy.hes a single guy and hes out most of the time.he never really wanted a dog in the first place.id like think if anything did go down he wouldn't be an asshole about it but who knows?I'm just gonna document and take pictures from here on out just in case.some of my other neighbors have told me they hope my dogs do take him out so i would think if something did go down it wouldn't be to hard to find witnesses who will be on my side.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #17
jyhugikuhih

I would try to have a talk with the neighbor and tell them that there are leash laws and they need to keep their dog contained in their yard, after all, they wouldn't want him to get hit by a car and get hurt badly, or worse. I would also tell them that your dogs are protective of their territory and if their dog gets in their yard, they might not react kindly to the intruder. My first step would be to talk to the neighbors, and you might contact AC and ask them to come out and remind the neighbors about the leash laws and any dog found running loose risks being picked up by them.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
freddystone

Wow, you're lucky you have a nice neighbor! But still be careful. You never know the true nature of a person until you piss them off.

I haven't been on this forum in a while, but a while ago a similar thing happened to us. Our dog bit the neighbor's loose dog through our fence. Our neighbors went from people we got along with to raging lunatics who are demanding that we get rid of the dog and threatening legal action. We just stopped talking to them (to protect our own rights) and haven't heard anything from them in a couple weeks. They almost killed their dog with antibiotics that the vet prescribed to prevent the wound from getting infected and they blamed us for that too, but I think the dog is okay now. I'm sure it's not over yet though. I regret not taking pictures of their loose dog. I regret not taking pictures of the neighbors parading their wounded dog around the neighborhood in a wagon to tell their tragic story and get pity from our other neighbors. I also regret not getting pictures/video of our neighbor walking around with a bat in her hand giving my husband dirty looks. Luckily HOA and Animal Control are on our side, so even if we end up in court over this, things will probably work out. So just be careful, people have really outrageous fears about these dogs.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 AM   #19
Usogwdkb

thanks everyone for weighing in on my dilemma.im gonna take the advise on the taking pictures just in case something gos down.don't get me wrong I'm on good terms with my neighbor hes not a bad guy.hes a single guy and hes out most of the time.he never really wanted a dog in the first place.id like think if anything did go down he wouldn't be an asshole about it but who knows?I'm just gonna document and take pictures from here on out just in case.some of my other neighbors have told me they hope my dogs do take him out so i would think if something did go down it wouldn't be to hard to find witnesses who will be on my side.
Good luck..if all else fails just send your cutie my way lol

Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #20
mloversia

Default would i be in trouble??
i have 2 very DA apbt on 8' chain set ups in my yard which is not fenced in.today my neighbors dachshund got loose for the hundred time and i had to pry him out of my dogs mouth.he seems to be OK now but my question is if he happens to get killed in my yard and my dogs are responesable am i/my dogs gonna be held responsable?

Reply to Thread New Thread