LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
objennasweene

Default What should I do?
Maximus loves people as soon as a new person, or even if someone hasn't been over in a while, he has to smother them in kisses and then bring all his toys to them and proceed to sit in front of them with the toy in his mouth till they play with him. So I haven't really been worried about him around people, he is well socialized and just loves everybody. However Zach's friend came over, and Max has met him before and loves to play with him, and he had a baseball hat on plus his hood was up over the hat to where you couldn't see his face. When Max seen him like that he freaked out and started barking & growling with his hair raised. I grabbed max and made john take off the hood and hat and as soon as Max seen that it was john he calmed down. He jumped up gave him kisses and started trying to play with him. Was his behavior normal or should I be worried? Nobody have come over in a hat or anything since but IDk if it was a one time thing or what. I'd just like some imput to so I know what to do.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
avaiguite

did you ever ask him to put the hat/hood back on? you should have had him slowly put the hat then hood back in in the sight of maximus then had your freind talk to him and give him love so he relaxed about the whole thing and knew it was till a freind

Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
objennasweene

I didn't even think about that, though I probably should have . The whole thing just freaked me out

Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
gkihueonhjh

I think thats a good idea to have him put the hood on in front of maximus so he knows its ok. You could do it too! Get him used to seeing different people with hoods and hats. Just put a hoodie on in front of him. Thats my best advice lol. I wouldnt be too worried though, sounds like he just wanted to protect his house from a possibly unwanted intruder.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
objennasweene

I'll have to practice with him thank you for the advice

Old 05-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
ELURNSERB

Most dogs are like this. Maximus isnt bei.g aggressive,your friend just spooked him

Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
BqTyG9eS

Part of the socialization process with dogs is getting them used to the craziest looking people you can imagine. Because if you don't, they'll spook when they see someone look out of the ordinary in a way that concerns them. It's a normal reaction. =) A good idea would be to desensitize him to hoods and hats. Just show him it's still a person under there. Haha.

Reply to Thread New Thread