LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
LongaDonga

Default Why Does this Crap Keep Happening?
Why is it that people feel the need to approach your dog in a disrespectful manner? Kids and adults alike!
They run up to the dog, cooing and speaking in rapid high pitches, they physically touch the dog without permission, they get in the dogs face when the dog is giving them obvious signs to back off....? Why?
I tell anyone that attempts to do this that my dog is not a fan of strangers in her face and they continue attempting to do it anyway (my worst experiences occurring in a Petland) so I leave.
Also most kids are NOT taught manners. They never ASK if they can pet my dog.
Anyone been in the same situation? What do you do with these people? Very irritating

Old 04-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
PefeFoesk

I'd guess some haven't been taught, some are so used to their own dogs or dogs that they're familiar with that they just don't think, and some are victims of the "it can't happen to me" mentality. I had a lady tell me one time that she reached out to pet a dog without asking because the last time she asked a person if it was all right to pet their dog, the person got offended turned rude.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Madjostok

I know how you feel, I really do. I have two dogs, a male Lab x who LOVES people and a Kelpie x who is fearful of people and she will bite.

I've had good interactions with people/kids being polite to my dogs. I've had a few rare cases were people have just instantly loomed over my dog and gone for a pet, I was lucky the times it's happened to Serenity (Kelpie x) nothing bad happened.

Just yesterday I was walking home, I finished biking with Serenity, there was 8 kids (two on bikes) on a driveway next door, they thankfully didn't come near me, I was worried though. I came out to take Sunny for a walk and all of them crowded around to pet Sunny, without even asking.

They should have asked me. I did tell them when I come out with Serenity to keep away but I was lucky because they said when they first saw her, no one approached because they weren't sure.

I have had one kid run up to her and run off which set her off, that really pissed me off.

I've also had kids who were very polite.

Since kids are so unpredictable, I try to just avoid kid/crowded areas.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
eskimosik

It's happening because you let it happen.

You need to be a lot firmer in telling people that your dog is not friendly and that they shouldn't pet her. Use a firm, loud voice and tell them to stay back.

I was having a problem with people letting their dogs approach Amy until I started being VERY firm and loud with them and grabbing Amy to pull her away. Get between the dog and the person. Don't allow them access and be loud.

I've also found that using a metal prong collar or chain makes people really wary of dogs. I would never approach a dog on a chain, and when I was training Amy with her prong collar people kept a huge distance from us.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
LongaDonga

There literally seems to be NO stigma attached to pitbulls here in SK, Canada because I've had soooo many bloody people that rush her and she's just NOT comfortable with it. She's a bit of an insecure girl and requires a bit of time to get used to new people. She has never lashed out in fear aggression but I'm not stupid-- I know in the right (or wrong) circumstances she may fearfully nip. I guess I just have to keep out of those situations the best that I can *sigh*.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Madjostok

I just don't get why people find it so hard to ask to pet a dog. I don't care how friendly/small a dog is, ASK. This would make owning a dog that doesn't like people easier.

When I've gone to the dog park/beach, I will still ask or wait to see how the dog interacts with people. I've met a few dogs that people bring to the dog park/beach take dogs that don't like people. That boggles my mind people do that...

Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
LongaDonga

McRose-- I have been loud but I suppose I have to up the ante. These people are DUMB. I had one person who was about to get in Rubys face and I promptly said NO she doesn't like new people and this person was like "it's ok, I have a Pitbull" I was appalled. I literally did have to put myself between her and this person. THIS PERSON WORKED AT PETLANd!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Madjostok

Walk her in less populated areas, maybe get a vest that sas 'Do not pet, in training'. If you need to, raise your voice at a person who goes to touch her and move her away! That's what I do. I pick her up if I need to but my girl is small.

By the way, my dogs don't do to the dog parks, I go there to take photos.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
PefeFoesk

If it's a shy dog getting loud isn't going to help, it's just going to stress out the dog and make it something to remember. Repeat it often enough and it will be something to dread. Be firm, sure but no need to cause an incident.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
eskimosik

Maybe don't bring her to Petland? Not to be flippant but if it's happening there then don't bring her there. I assume that's a pet store - I would probably assume that the dogs there are well socialized and friendly. I don't bring Amy to Petsmart or Petco because there are other dogs and the potential for a run-in is too high.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
LongaDonga

I no longer bring her to Petland. Also she is no way DA. Actually if a person has a dog she will get to know the person because she is so excited to see the dog. She greets dog in a excited way, but she is fairly controlled for a 10 month old pup.. she doesn't go apeshit over a new dog.
catchrcall- that's definitely the more appropriate word (firm). I am alway calm when I am with her because I don't want to exacerbate the situation.
tahlz- I feel like if I were to move her away from the situation she would learn that fleeing is the way to deal with the situation... I normally just keep her attention on me and try to calmly state that she doesn't like strangers.
Also, I DO now socialize her where there are less people. BUT she does need to get used to some people being around.
Shes improving drastically, it's the PEOPLE I'm having a problem with-- THEY DONT LEARN!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
Madjostok

By raising your voice, I didn't mean at the dog. I meant towards the people. Even if it makes the dog nervous, if you are in a situation were you really don't want some one to touch your dog and they are going to, I'd be raising my voice. I've done it before, I've had no choice but to. I can understand you not wanting to do it. Depends what works for you.

I think it's great your socializing her still, it's best done in a less crowded place without a load of people.

About the moving away, I find that fair what you do. I normally will get my girl to focus on me. I will move away in certain situations because she will actually bite so it depends on what's going on and if I can control her properly.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
LongaDonga

I don't think it's how many people as opposed to the TYPE of people. One moron that decides he/she want to approach a pibble because they are cool like that can really harm my dog mentally but I know where to take her now where people will pretty much ignore her or WILL ask if they can interact with her. I appreciate your advice though tahlz!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
Flerdourdyged

I guess I am lucky people don't do that to my dogs...to there dismay, they want a person to pay attention to them on walks...what I get on the other hand I think is much worse... (mini rant sorry hijacking your thread a second...kinda on topic but not lol)

I was walking in the mall with my hubby, I was holding my baby, she is almost 3 months old, as cute as can be...and some lady comes up and grabs her hand and kisses it and gets all in our space and such...I am to much of a wuss to say back off...I should have but man I just am a push over, my hubby is too...anyhow we were not to happy, its ok for someone to come up and say something like "aww so cute" (which some black ladies did, I say there color because it just surprised me by the way they were acting that they stopped and commented, I always comment on any cute baby but yea for some reason it surprised me lol) but no no this lady had to get in our face (Katie's head was against mine so yea really to close for some stranger to be) anyhow.....that is the end of my rant

Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
eskimosik

I didn't mean that your dog was DA. I meant only that mine is, and as an example that I just keep her out of places where she's going to be set up for failure. I'm glad you're not taking your dog there anymore since it seems to be full of stupid people.

God, people really are the worst. Usually they'll ask around here if they can pet Amy (and it's fine with me) but tonight I had a 10 year old girl on the sidewalk just start shrieking and cowering at the sight of Amy (who was sniffing the grass). Who the hell just shrieks at a dog? If you're scared then just quietly move the fuck away. I guess parents don't bother to teach kids anymore? I have had a couple kids try to start petting Amy and I've been pretty stern and told them that they should ALWAYS ask first and get their parents' permission. Amy is a lovebug but not all dogs are.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #16
tpdirorg

Yup get used to it, people are one extreme or the other. They run from your dog or they come rushing over wanting to pet them.
I have a working dog vest that says do not pet when I go out to public places (although for some reason my dog does better in crowds then being one on one with someone).
People STILL try and pet her with that on though but it does help.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #17
zuhraliyana

I RARELY have anyone pet my dogs w/o asking. About the only place I don't get asked, is at agility trials, but then pretty much everyone knows Rosie, and she begs for attention, and Frankie is learning from Rosie.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
ovH9wfSJ

It's happening because you let it happen.

Exactly.

She has never lashed out in fear aggression but I'm not stupid-- I know in the right (or wrong) circumstances she may fearfully nip.

What the hell are you doing taking a dog like this into crowded public places, anyways?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #19
LongaDonga

Teal- I'm not taking her into crowded public places.... I thought I made that pretty clear? Maybe re-read?

Old 04-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #20
ovH9wfSJ

Teal- I'm not taking her into crowded public places.... I thought I made that pretty clear? Maybe re-read?

Okay, you WERE taking her into crowded public places. Better?

Hell, even take out the word "crowded" - Why are you taking her into public places? Especially if you can't keep people out of her face. Disaster waiting to happen.

Reply to Thread New Thread