LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
TimoDassss

Default am wanting to get a pit
i have owned dogs all my life and last year we put my lab down i am ready for a new dog. i have never owned a pitbull before and am looking to do a lot of research before i go looking around for a dog. i dont think i have time for a pupppy but i do have time for a older dog i will probably adopt from a shelter. my question is do you know of any good websites or anything like that, that will help me? do you have any adivce for me?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
crycleascentyv

petfinder.org be ready to own a highly dog aggressive breed that is pound for pound the strongest in the world. They aren't suited for dog parks or being off leashed in public. People will look at you dirty and your own family will probably tell you how you should get rid of the vicious dog. If you can deal with all of that, then start researching shelters.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
TimoDassss

yea my mom is one of those people who think they are the worst dogs in the world and that the dog will turn on me. but she doesnt have to live with the dog and i know that if you raise the dog right then they are good dogs. i have read they are dog aggresive i didnt know about dog parks, had an idea that its probably not a good idea, but i was thinking after i have trained the dog in baisc obediance that i would teach him disc throw, if she is intrested, would i be able to compete with her/him since there will be other dogs around? if not we can just do it for fun.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
GillTeepbew

I would suggest considering adopting a dog that has been in foster care, rather than a shelter. In addition to having proved itself in a home (possibly with children and other animals), the dog will be vetted and likely have some training.

For lots of tips concerning pit bulls and help in locating a foster in your area ... Pit Bull Rescue Central

Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
crycleascentyv

They can do a lot of sports, but you have to remember that genetics override anything else. You can raise the dog and try to train it to get along with other animals, but at the end of the day it can turn on at any time. Some dogs stay friendly their whole life, other dogs turn hot as they mature since they like to dominate others. The great thing about adopting from the shelter is that you will have a pretty good idea of what you are getting if you adopt an adult dog. All in all these dogs or most dogs in that family of breeds don't mind confrontations with other dogs, and pain is something that doesn't affect them. A lab will act tough in front of another dog but the second the lab is hurt it will shut off and back off. A pit bull will only turn on even more and won't stop. There are other variants of the breed such as American Staffordshire Terrier, and the craze which is the american bully. If you are looking for a dog that is less prone to dog aggression I would look at those, however, at the shelter anything will labeled as a pit so you will just have to be very careful with your selection. Also, because the Amstaff and Bullies have a blood of the APBT their genes can still kick in.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Vzkdgdqx

I agree with Joebingo if you do adopt I highly suggest getting one that has been in a foster program. You really get a better idea of the dogs personality and temperment. How they are with kids and other animals. Because they have been living with the foster, so you get to know all their good habits and not so good habits up front.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
chipkluchi

I would suggest considering adopting a dog that has been in foster care, rather than a shelter. In addition to having proved itself in a home (possibly with children and other animals), the dog will be vetted and likely have some training.

For lots of tips concerning pit bulls and help in locating a foster in your area ... Pit Bull Rescue Central
Even though I got a puppy...this is what I done. I agree 100%

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

They can do a lot of sports, but you have to remember that genetics override anything else. You can raise the dog and try to train it to get along with other animals, but at the end of the day it can turn on at any time. Some dogs stay friendly their whole life, other dogs turn hot as they mature since they like to dominate others. The great thing about adopting from the shelter is that you will have a pretty good idea of what you are getting if you adopt an adult dog. All in all these dogs or most dogs in that family of breeds don't mind confrontations with other dogs, and pain is something that doesn't affect them. A lab will act tough in front of another dog but the second the lab is hurt it will shut off and back off. A pit bull will only turn on even more and won't stop. There are other variants of the breed such as American Staffordshire Terrier, and the craze which is the american bully. If you are looking for a dog that is less prone to dog aggression I would look at those, however, at the shelter anything will labeled as a pit so you will just have to be very careful with your selection. Also, because the Amstaff and Bullies have a blood of the APBT their genes can still kick in.
I agree with Joebingo if you do adopt I highly suggest getting one that has been in a foster program. You really get a better idea of the dogs personality and temperment. How they are with kids and other animals. Because they have been living with the foster, so you get to know all their good habits and not so good habits up front.
I agree with these... You can also try fostering yourself to see if your really ready to have a pit before you make the big commitment of taking in one of these precious babies.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
OgrGlgHu

Yup, since this is your first Pit Bull I suggest going through a rescue, too. The foster family will be able to tell you about any quirks and what training has been done and what work is needed.

As for sport, that depends on the individual dog. Most Pit Bulls have some level of DA, but there are some who do not. Some are very driven and active and would be suited to training and competing and some are just not interested.

I've seen a few fosters train Pits they foster in some sport or other to both keep them exercised and to make them more appealing to potential adopters. Maybe keep a look out for a dog already being trained in a sport.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
TNgqZhLR

Pit bulls are incredibly versatile and can do anything you throw at them. Mine currently competes in flyball and lure coursing, and is training in agility, rally, and obedience. I've noticed moreso you have to deal with reactivity than actual DA. A solid focus and good working drive will be your best bet for success.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
mylittlejewelaa

Just want to make clear to the OP as well, that dog aggression, and "turning on" of it, is in no way the same thing as Human Aggression. Just because a bully breed dog is Dog aggressive, DOES NOT MEAN it will also be aggressive with people.

I agree with Joe too, an older dog that's in a foster situation would be a great place to start looking. That way, you can usually meet the dog in a stable environment first, and see how you click. (or not) And, the foster family will be able to tell you ALOT more about the dog's actual personality than a shelter would.

That is all, carry on. lol

Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Annewsded

Joebingo pretty well summed this up and davidfittness drove it home.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
TimoDassss

thank you guys for all the replys i didnt think of getting one thats been in a foster home but a very good idea thank you. i dont think i would be a very good foster person i would end up keeping them all but i will look into everything you guys said. thank you for the bit about just because they are dog aggressive doesnt mean they are human aggressive did not know that. also i have a cat that a friend is watching till i get my new place, that's when i will get my dog, the cat is mostly outside cat he will come inside sometimes to lay with me, are pits just like any other dogs when it comes to cats. some get along with them some dont?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
Vzkdgdqx

Some people on here have had success owning a pit bull and a cat but personally I don't think that is a risk I would take.

Remember this is a terrier and terriers do have a pretty strong prey drive. Personally I wouldn't risk it. But if you still choose to go with an APBT make sure you keep a close eye on them if they are loose together and if you can't be around to supervise make sure they are securely separated.

A friend of mine had a foster that broke down a door to get to the cat in the other room.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
crycleascentyv

I have Bully that has very low small animal prey drive so he is cool with all my animals. Anything that doesn't belong in the house is fair game however.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
OwdBKKHO

thank you guys for all the replys i didnt think of getting one thats been in a foster home but a very good idea thank you. i dont think i would be a very good foster person i would end up keeping them all but i will look into everything you guys said. thank you for the bit about just because they are dog aggressive doesnt mean they are human aggressive did not know that. also i have a cat that a friend is watching till i get my new place, that's when i will get my dog, the cat is mostly outside cat he will come inside sometimes to lay with me, are pits just like any other dogs when it comes to cats. some get along with them some dont?
you should read the ¨APBT and aggression¨ sticky on this forum, youll learn A LOT!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #16
OgrGlgHu

This is where foster homes come into play. Some fosters have cats with their dogs and know how they do with them.

Personally, I keep my dogs and cat separate. The cat has a room with his box and food in it. He hangs there during the day. At night when the dogs are crated he roams the house. Sometimes we close off the upper floor using the pocket door and keep the dogs downstairs with us while the cat hangs with the kids upstairs.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
VipInoLo

yea my mom is one of those people who think they are the worst dogs in the world and that the dog will turn on me. but she doesnt have to live with the dog and i know that if you raise the dog right then they are good dogs. i have read they are dog aggresive i didnt know about dog parks, had an idea that its probably not a good idea, but i was thinking after i have trained the dog in baisc obediance that i would teach him disc throw, if she is intrested, would i be able to compete with her/him since there will be other dogs around? if not we can just do it for fun.
i was one of those mom's, until my son's pitbull was in desperate need of some intervention. now I love this dog, and knowing the breed much better then I used to, I would suggest getting a dog from foster care, you will know what you are getting.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
mylittlejewelaa

I have two dogs, both pit mixes, and a cat, and the cat absolutely rules the roost at our house. lol The dogs don't pay her much attention, they learned as puppies she isn't scared of them, and doesn't back down, and a few swipes on the end of their noses a few times was all it took. That being said, that doesn't mean it is the same for every dog/cat combo. If our cat was less confident and "aggressive", I'm pretty sure she'd have been dog food by now. I still wouldn't ever leave the dogs and cat alone and unsupervised together, just like I wouldn't leave my kids with the dogs alone...just because something hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't. I say better safe than sorry!

O, and my kids are all young, 9, 8, and twin 4's; I doubt I'll have an issue with them being alone with the dogs as teenagers...

Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #19
TimoDassss

yea the only way they will be together is if im there and my cat is inside with me if they get along. if not then they will be kept apart. i will try and pick a dog that has been around cats in the foster home thank you for the advice

Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
mylittlejewelaa

Sounds like you have a good plan in mind then! Keep us posted on your doggy progress, and be sure to post pics. if you come across any cuties! lol Good luck!

Reply to Thread New Thread