LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
ImmimiFruff

Default pitbull sitting??
Alright so today my brother asked me to watch his pitbull also a female.. what is the best way for me to attempt to get them along? with ruckus it was easy.. This dog is not aggressive nor dominant but violet is very dominant especially when meeting a new dog. last time she jumped on the dogs back snarled and barked and then after a few hours got over it.. so to jump start the process should i put their crates side by side that's what i was recommended that sounds almost like setting them up to not get along by pushing it to fast to me.. I understand they may never get along and have to be rotated for the month i have her i just want to try my hardest not to have to do that. And also know they can never be left together unsupervised.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Rwujnezq

Just crate and rotate them. It's setting them up for failure to introduce them right now, as your brother's dog will probably be stressed out from having to stay with you for a month, your female will probably be on edge smelling another bitch in the house.

Maybe in the future, they can get along. IMO it's really not worth it to try at this time.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
ImmimiFruff

alright yea this is kind of what i was thinking to. right now though im laughing because the pup coming here is ruckus sister so my wife thaught that since violet loves ruckus she will love her sister .. i need to teach her better

Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
apannamma

Crate/rotate, you can always see how they react seeing each other through a gate or whatever after a few days, if they seem calm after a while you can take them on a walk together, for only a month you might as well just avoid issues and keep them apart, don't you have the multiple puppies as well or is that someone else? It really depends on the dogs but you shouldn't be letting Violet greet other dogs like that, it's not "dominant", it's bitchy and rude, a truly confident dog wouldn't pull that crap and it's a great way to start a fight right off the bat. I don't let dogs meet unless they are being calm and well behaved, they start posturing or getting too excited they get separated.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
8cyVn4RJ

How much time do you have before this will happen? If you have time maybe meet him on the street both walking and don't let them meet face to face but just walking across the street from each other or maybe next to each other on leashes. In my experience, on leash face to face meets are not so good. Also, the more you push it the worse it will get if they aren't "feelin" each other. If there is any question then definitely crate and rotate and as you already said don't leave them together unsupervised even if they do end up getting along.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
ImmimiFruff

well i guess i didn't get much of a choice.. the dog got put in the backyard by my roomate (yea the same As*Hole im waiting to move out in 3 days) and i heard snarling ran out violet was on top of her i grabbed her off scolded her and put her in the crate and crated the other two and when i let them out one at a time their licking each other through the crate so idk dogs confuse me but the initial reaction due to an idiot just made it a crate and rotate Ill let violet and ruckus out and then put violet away and let zea out with ruckus.. they have been around each other there whole life's since their sisters longest they went without seeing each other is like 2 weeks

Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
8cyVn4RJ

Wow, sounds like a good thing that he is moving out!

Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
ImmimiFruff

yea this dude has and his girlfriend have done about 4 things that put my dogs at risk and 4 things that put him at risk through me so im glad he is going just i couldnt legally kick him out

Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #9
Rwujnezq

Glad the room mate will be gone soon. It sucks having dogs and shitty room mates.

And I say crate and rotate because well, IMO if anything happens to the other person's dog, you're responsible. And it's better for the dog to be cooped up than for anything to happen that would leave you financially responsible, the dog injured, and the owners angry. If I'm watching a dog, it's on a C and R routine, except for dogs who are barrier aggressive (and will injure themselves trying to get out of the room/crate, 2 of my friend's dogs are like that), or dogs I've known for a LONG time.

Plus, 3 young pit bulls running around? HELL no! I like my belongings intact.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
ImmimiFruff

lol well i have had it to wear ruckus is out pretty much at all times both with my brother dog and violet and then zea and violet are being rotated.. and so far i have been lucky so far since we have only lost in my own home haha(my moms we wont count) a couple blankets and a futon mattress.. and these only happened from to much trust of the dogs thinking that i could leave for 8 hours and put them in separate bedrooms and i guess dogs hate being left alone haha. lesson learned.. But its been good just i am having to train this new dog to be in a crate and stay off my couch lol

Reply to Thread New Thread