LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Clarissa

Default & other breeds
As many of you may know I am suppose to be adopting a puppy from the local rescue.

I know that pit bulls can show aggression toward each other, but what about other breeds. I have a small pomarian (she is maybe 3 lbs)

Would it be safe for her for me to bring a 7-8 week old pit bull puppy into the home

Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
ditpiler

Pit bulls are sometimes prone to developing dog aggression and small animal aggression, so yes, that includes your Pom. I am sure the puppy will be fine, but always be prepared that the pit bull may grow and suddenly decide he doesn't like your Pom anymore. With that said, plenty of people own pit bulls and other dogs, including small ones without problems, including myself. I have a pit bull and a dachshund and they are great friends.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
MzTT

Dog aggression means dog aggression. Pit Bulls and terriers in general are more prone to dog aggression than other breeds. They also tend to be prey driven and see small furry animals as prey. That said, it is possible to have a harmonious household with a Pit Bull and a small dog. But you will have to always supervise the dogs when they are together and keep them separated when you cannot supervise.

There are things you can do to increase your chances of success. You can get an older Pit Bull that is fully mature and that is being fostered with smaller dogs, for example. Opposite sex pairings work best, so go for a dog that is male since the Pom is female. You can also try getting a pup as you planned and raise it to behave with the Pom, but just make sure you would be willing to crate and rotate them if they stop getting along.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Chiquita

^^ MJ given great advice

Old 02-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Clarissa

Dog aggression means dog aggression. Pit Bulls and terriers in general are more prone to dog aggression than other breeds. They also tend to be prey driven and see small furry animals as prey. That said, it is possible to have a harmonious household with a Pit Bull and a small dog. But you will have to always supervise the dogs when they are together and keep them separated when you cannot supervise.

There are things you can do to increase your chances of success. You can get an older Pit Bull that is fully mature and that is being fostered with smaller dogs, for example. Opposite sex pairings work best, so go for a dog that is male since the Pom is female. You can also try getting a pup as you planned and raise it to behave with the Pom, but just make sure you would be willing to crate and rotate them if they stop getting along.
I agree...you have given great advise (which is why I asked before jumping and just bringing home another)

I am getting a pup from a local rescue. He should be coming home in a week or so. They had two available a black and white female or a brindle male. I went Sunday to see which puppy done better one on one. I had been reading and you should choose a puppy that’s healthy and that you have a connection with. I also heard that you should spend a little time with the puppy’s parents and see how they react to you and your family. The rescue told me to print out to test Social Attraction, Following, Social Dominance, Elevation, Retrieving, Touch Sensitivity, Sound &Sight Sensitivity, Stability, Structure when i go to the foster home (where the mom and 6 1/2 week old puppies are). The female scored mostly 1's which means It has lots of leadership aspirations and may be difficult to manage. This puppy needs an experienced home. The male scored 4 which means The puppy with mostly 3’s and 4’s can be quite a handful, but should be good with children and does well with training. Energy needs to be dispersed with plenty of exercise.

The pit puppy that I am planning on adopting is a 7 week old male. The Pom is crate trained and so I plan on crate training the puppy (at night and when I am working) but if they stop getting along I am willing to crate and rotate them.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Buhoutsoupfap

Which rescue are you getting the puppy from? I'd definitely be prepared to separate and rotate if they end up not getting along. Here are some links you might find helpful:
http://www.pbrc.net/multidogs.html
http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html
http://pbrc.net/beforedog.html

Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Sdzqerty

Just make sure to supervise and keep them separated. I have a Pit Bull and a Pomeranian, and they get along okay. My Pom is less thrilled with the Pit than he is to her, but you do have the risk of dog aggression. I think you've been given some great advice, so good luck

Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
antipenq

As many of you may know I am suppose to be adopting a puppy from the local rescue.

I know that pit bulls can show aggression toward each other, but what about other breeds. I have a small pomarian (she is maybe 3 lbs)

Would it be safe for her for me to bring a 7-8 week old pit bull puppy into the home
DA is just that Dog Aggression.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
8cyVn4RJ

You can have dog aggression in any breed, however with a small dog and a large dog I would be a LOT more concerned about predatory drift and prey drive than DA. I would think long and hard about bringing any larger breed into the household with a dog that small. Hell my cat would be seeing squirrel instead of dog with one that small and she's only an 8lb cat.

I have two dogs of very high prey drive breed mixes. They are excellent with small dogs, but I would not have them living with something under 10lbs.... they are very good at adjusting their play for smaller friends, but under 10lbs someone is gonna get hurt by accident. It doesn't always take something bad happening for the smaller animal to get hurt.

Lots of people have small and large dogs, just be smart about it like any multiple animal household. Never leave any animal unattended together and pay very close attention to all interactions. Be prepared that they may not be able to be loose together.

Reply to Thread New Thread