LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
welihiedginly

Default "My Dogs Will Be Best Friends Forever"
I'm writing this in hopes of helping people to understand just what can happen when you leave two bully breeds to themselves. Hopefully people can read this story and learn from my experiences.

Raj (22 month old "pet bull") and Willow (14 month old SBT mix) have been together as long as Willow has been around the house (6 weeks old). They always got along, and were always the "best of friends". I had always crated them due to them being bully breeds, and I could never leave them together unattended, as I learned from this forum.
The two never fought, and at times when I saw things getting heated I always separated them to prevent one from going after the other. I guess you could say I was a "responsible" owner.
Last night, however, was totally different. They always tell you that there will be no warning, and I have to say, whoever "they" are, they were right.
I was sitting on the couch feeding my son. Raj and Willow were cuddling on the couch, passed out. It was just a normal day.
It all happened so quickly, I couldn't tell you what had started it really. All I know for sure is once they heard my boyfriend pull into the driveway, the dogs got up to greet him at the door, and then the fight started. It all happened so fast, I couldn't run into the drawer to grab my break stick, I wouldn't leave the baby alone with two fighting dogs (because well...that is just plain stupid lol).
Willow had Raj by the neck, and Raj (being double her size) was swinging back and forth, trying to grab her. He slammed her into the glider almost knocking it into my tv. I grabbed him and (adrenaline really helped here) held him still with my legs while I grabbed her jaw and (NEVER do this!!!!!) put my fingers into her mouth and forced her open.
It all happened in a matter of a minute, by the time my boyfriend walked in the door, Raj was in his kennel and Willow was happily wagging her tail for him.
There was no blood
There was no serious damage done (except to maybe Raj's ego)

I just bought ANOTHER break stick from Stillwater last night.

Some things I have learned from my experiences?
It can happen anywhere, anytime. Dogs can go from 0 to 60 in a matter of seconds. You may not always be prepared, but you have to be quick.
I myself had always expected it may or may not happen. I will admit I wasn't prepared.
NEVER misplace your break stick!!
LEARN how to use one properly (and use one! Don't be an ass like me and use your hand. Thankfully she knows the difference between my hand and Raj's skin, but not all dogs are like that!

I hope that anyone who thinks their dogs are the "bestest of buddies" will read this, and learn from this. This wasn't even a serious fight, but it was scary as hell. I will never let something like that happen again.

Raj and Willow are going to be taken out for a walk today. That way I can assess how they will be with each other. Even if they decide to get along fine, they will be kenneled (at least one of them at a time) when my boyfriend pulls up to prevent any more incidents like this.

Guys. Please learn from this. You don't want this happening to you trust me. Even for someone who knew it could happen, it was scary as hell. I can only imagine if I didn't already know it was possible.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
isogeople

I'm glad it didn't get as bad as it could have and you were right there when it happened.
Funny how they/most return to normal just as quickly as they fire up. That's what always surprised me.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
flowersnewaho

Wow, it's definitely scary. I'm glad you were able to think quick enough and get the dogs apart.

I have a friend that had his 2 dogs get into a fight. He ended up losing one of the dogs a week later because the dog had a cut that they didn't see because it was in his mouth. It ended up getting infected and absessed and he had to be put down. Check them thoroughly.

Bentley and Carter got into a scuffle/fight a couple months ago and I didn't have my breakstick on me. I didn't know what to do. My mom was standing next to me yelling at the dog (which of course didn't phase them) so I tackled Bentley. Flew right onto the floor on top of him and basically shocked him into letting go. I don't really want to call it a fight though because if it had been, the outcome would have been completely different.

Aren't you glad you started crating and rotating them months ago?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Zebrabitch

This is an excellent example of a very common fight trigger that many people are unaware of. Simple excitement. Thank you for sharing so that others can see how easy it can be to trigger a fight even between "best friends".

Old 02-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
welihiedginly

I'm glad it didn't get as bad as it could have and you were right there when it happened.
Funny how they/most return to normal just as quickly as they fire up. That's what always surprised me.
it is so true Joe. It could have been so much worse!

Wow, it's definitely scary. I'm glad you were able to think quick enough and get the dogs apart.

I have a friend that had his 2 dogs get into a fight. He ended up losing one of the dogs a week later because the dog had a cut that they didn't see because it was in his mouth. It ended up getting infected and absessed and he had to be put down. Check them thoroughly.

Bentley and Carter got into a scuffle/fight a couple months ago and I didn't have my breakstick on me. I didn't know what to do. My mom was standing next to me yelling at the dog (which of course didn't phase them) so I tackled Bentley. Flew right onto the floor on top of him and basically shocked him into letting go. I don't really want to call it a fight though because if it had been, the outcome would have been completely different.

Aren't you glad you started crating and rotating them months ago?
I am so glad they were already used to the routine. They fell right into it when I started it again last night.

This is an excellent example of a very common fight trigger that many people are unaware of. Simple excitement. Thank you for sharing so that others can see how easy it can be to trigger a fight even between "best friends".
You couldn't be more right. Its almost like with humans. When our emotions are in overdrive we tend to snap sooner.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
zatronanec

I hope they are both alright and it didn't turn out to badly but how scary!. Even worse you had your child with you. I'm shocked they fought over greeting your bf.

My two arn't Bull Breeds but I do worry one day that they may get into a serious fight but it's easy to separate them so I'm not worried. The only issue's I've had so far is fighting over toys, they can play together with toys but I have to be careful at certain moments. They were playing fighting and I think it turned into something serious which hasn't happened before.

I just hope they stay the way they are now, forever but we'll see.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
UHlVExs7

Uh oh.. Glad they are both OK, and one didn't accidently redirect on you.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
Poowssnople

I know quite a few forums I wish could see this... The "all in how you raise 'em" party.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
mazabotman

Yikes! Glad it turned out and wasn't worse! I think you are a very responsible owner having anticipated this to happen at some point. However I think something like this could happen even if you have only one bully breed and your 2nd dog is another breed like I do, at least I am always wary of my two, watching them carefully and crating separately when I'm not home.

I know quite a few forums I wish could see this... The "all in how you raise 'em" party.
Yeah... but maybe those in that "party" mean human aggression which we know is something totally different. Would that still hold true in that regard?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
Poowssnople

No, every time you go on these forums, or the PBC Facebook even, and say something like bulldogs are prone to DA, they'll say "NOOOOOOOOO~ it's all in how you raise them! I have three pibbles/pitties/adorabulls/pitts and they ~love~ each other!"

Old 02-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #11
welihiedginly

No, every time you go on these forums, or the PBC Facebook even, and say something like bulldogs are prone to DA, they'll say "NOOOOOOOOO~ it's all in how you raise them! I have three pibbles/pitties/adorabulls/pitts and they ~love~ each other!"
Someone can cross post anywhere they want. I posted this FOR those types of people.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
hujdrftgkas

Ok. I tell people this all the te

Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #13
AnIInWon

Couldn't agree with this more. I know dogs of many varying breeds that have gotten into some pretty serious scuffles at the front door over who gets to say "Hi" first.

Glad to hear that there was no serious damage and everyone, yourself and baby included are all okay!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #14
welihiedginly

Yikes! Glad it turned out and wasn't worse! I think you are a very responsible owner having anticipated this to happen at some point. However I think something like this could happen even if you have only one bully breed and your 2nd dog is another breed like I do, at least I am always wary of my two, watching them carefully and crating separately when I'm not home.

Yeah... but maybe those in that "party" mean human aggression which we know is something totally different. Would that still hold true in that regard?
I actually meant to post it like that, but I just couldn't get the wording right and was like "ehh fuck it" lol
I *Think* this would be a good sticky because that way it can easilly be referenced by the new members or those who have thought the title

Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
flowersnewaho

I think it goes hand-in-hand with the sticky we already have..

Always Expect a Bulldog To Fight

Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
whimpykid

very scary, I just went through this myself a couple of weeks ago when my mastiffs Moose and Bo went at it over my room mate little dog barking and freaking out like it always does.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #17
welihiedginly

I think it goes hand-in-hand with the sticky we already have..

Always Expect a Bulldog To Fight
Oh yeah lol

Old 02-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
emorbimefed

Happy no one was hurt!

Imagine if you weren't so educated about the bully breeds and were one of those GP folks who think it's all how you raise them and that DA and HA are linked. You'd have had one of them posted up on CL or going to a shelter. Lucky dogs, they have a human who gets it and will be able to stay in their home.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
welihiedginly

Yeah they are lucky MJ ha ha
My boyfriend is now afraid to take them outside together, which is fine by me since I can't trust him to break open a bag of chips without getting hurt. The dogs are on minimal crate and rotate for now. Only once in awhile I let them out in the living room together. It sucks cause now I am wary to let them rough house together at all since they wear each other out so well ha ha

Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
flowersnewaho

I don't think you need to worry about them playing. Just watch their behavioral signals and step in if ANYTHING makes you uncomfortable. Like if Willow holds onto Raj's neck for too long or something. Bentley likes to hold Carter's cheek and pull him around the room, I try to not allow that because it COULD instigate a fight. It never has, but I'm paranoid.

Reply to Thread New Thread