LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
sharpyure

Default Just wanted to thank you all for all of the great advice i read here.
Even though Jas is my 4th pet bull i still learn things from your all.

Last tuesday evening after Jas worked the pole for about 10-15 min she came in, layed down for a bit, but when she got up she was really stiff/limping in her hind quarters, now this stiffness/limping only happens after exercise, wich is very, very limited now. Really wondering is she doesn't have hip dysplasia. Vet check next week. Never had a dog with it, so i don't know the signs.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
flowersnewaho

That sucks. I hope she's just sore from playing too much. Do her hips pop when she walks?

Old 02-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
sharpyure

That sucks. I hope she's just sore from playing too much. Do her hips pop when she walks?
No, not at all. I'm doing research on the disease, and looking at videos of dogs with it.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
flowersnewaho

I don't know what the symptoms are either. Perhaps it's nothing or you catch it soon enough if it is.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
sharpyure

I don't know what the symptoms are either. Perhaps it's nothing or you catch it soon enough if it is.
Really hoping she just tweaked someting or pulled a muscle. It just started all at once.

Symptoms of Dysplasia.
Rear limb lameness, particularly after exercise.
Difficulty or stiffness upon rising or climbing uphill.
A "bunny hop" gait (moving both rear legs together).
Rising using front legs only and dragging rear end.
Waddling rear limb gait.
A painful reaction to extension of the rear legs resulting in a characteristic short stride.
A side-to-side sway of the croup (area of the back above the hind legs and in front of tail.)
Tendency to tilt hips down when pressure applied to rump.
Reluctance to jump, exercise or climb stairs

Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
SannyGlow

The best thing you can do is take her to the vet and pay for some X-rays. Though I was told by my vet they don't Diagnose HD Until the dog is 3 years of age because the joints and bones are still developing. My dog Snow has HD. She is on Fish Oils and Vitamins said to help (and it has) and she does a LOT of water works which is really good on the hips.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
sciectotacype17

What's a pet bull?

Lol just kidding. You're doing the right thing by going to the vet, I have never seen your other posts? How old is your dogs and how far were you letting her get off the ground? Sounds like maybe just pulled some muscles or landed wrong. Let her rest until her vet visit, and then go from there! Let us know what happens!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
sharpyure

What's a pet bull?

Lol just kidding. You're doing the right thing by going to the vet, I have never seen your other posts? How old is your dogs and how far were you letting her get off the ground? Sounds like maybe just pulled some muscles or landed wrong. Let her rest until her vet visit, and then go from there! Let us know what happens!
She's a year old as best we can tell. She was a stray that i got from the rescue. The hide is low enough where she never gets off the ground, and when i work her with the flirt i never get her off the ground.
Sure hope it's just a pull, or sprain.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
SannyGlow

Its possible. I hope thats all it is. But a sure tell sign of Dysplasia is the bunny hop while running.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
sharpyure

Its possible. I hope thats all it is. But a sure tell sign of Dysplasia is the bunny hop while running.
Running? Like a jog, or a full sprint? When i let her win when working the pole she will run/jog basicly in a circle around me, and no sign of a bunny hop.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
SannyGlow

Just a regular run. Snow sprints with no problems but just running she will hop from time to time.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
sharpyure

Just a regular run. Snow sprints with no problems but just running she will hop from time to time.
I'll pay more attention tonight. I'll give her few min with the flirtpole tonight.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
SannyGlow

I might have a vid. I'll look and upload it tonight if I find it. If not I'll record her running and show you. Believe me, you'd know it if you saw it.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
sharpyure

I might have a vid. I'll look and upload it tonight if I find it. If not I'll record her running and show you. Believe me, you'd know it if you saw it.
That would be awesome! Thanks a lot.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
SannyGlow

I don't have one on hand. BUT I will be taking her to her chain spot tomorrow and I will try and get some footage.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #16
Symnunidanimb

I sure hope your dog gets better for you.

My father has a Boxer that does have Hip Dysplasia. I know it's no fun, but his dysplasia is at least manageable now under the vet's care with medication and supplements.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
aceriscoolon

My dog is just shy of 10 months old and has hip dysplasia, it's extremely noticible when he's jogging, he doesn't put much weight on his left leg and hops around. He still runs around full bore. He is usually the stiffest when he wakes up to go to bed, walking up the stairs is hard for him and would take him 5 mins if I wasn't taking weight off his back end. The vet does a test where they extend the legs back and there was pain for diesel when they did it, so they did some x-rays. They gave me some dasuquin and deramaxx for him right now until he gets his surgery (either TPO or FHO, depending on how much growing he has left)

Reply to Thread New Thread