LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
aquadayAquaks

Default I have a question..
Hope this makes sense (Im on holidays so have had a bit of time to kill, lol)
Anyway Im completely and fully aware of the fact that APBT's have a trait that can make them dog aggressive and to NEVER leave them unsupervised with other dogs, but I've been watching the 'Dog Whisperer' with Cesar Millan and he always seems to have a few APBT's in his 'pack' (usually around 20-30 dogs, and not to mention Daddy and Junior who seem to be off leash a lot even when meeting new dogs) and as far as I can tell, no fights have ever broken out among his pack. I suppose it's possible that someone is watching them all the time (not sure about night though?) but what I'm wanting to know is do people think he just got lucky? Or a strong 'pack leader' can control this trait? Interested in opinions, just a thought I was pondering!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Wr8dIAUk

Cesar is junk. Turn it to Lifetime and stop watching. His dogs are NOT APBTs at all.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
Tusanoc

Not to be a tart Kamdon but can you be more specific? Like elaborate on why he is junk? I mean he must have fame and fortune for a reason...

Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
Wr8dIAUk

His methods are out dated an unnecessary. There are a lot of better ways to training then kicking and choking them. And the pack leader shit. I dont have wolfs. And either does he. My dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years and have never even seen a pack. Its a bunch of BS.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
Kitdowstyhodo

His dogs are mutts, curs, NOT APBTs and his methods are outdated and not healthy. People their around the word "abusive" and I wouldn't go THAT far but his methods are not very good and only bandaid problems. If you have a truly DA dog, nothing will fix it. Cesar would sh*t a brick if he ever had to deal with a real bulldog.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #6
Wr8dIAUk

He has a tv show, and desperate people eill do desperate things. Like pay this clown. And he has a tv show. Doesnt mean he is worth a shit. I mean, even Mike Tyson had a tv show

Old 01-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
aquadayAquaks

Wow, interesting to know! Am new to this so it's interesting to hear what people think! Kamdon what's lifetime? Don't live in the US

Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 AM   #8
hubua990

My biggest problem with the show is that they film for hours, days, weeks, and edit it down to 30 rosy, happy minutes, giving the viewing public a serious false impression of what really happens. Do you really think Cesar and his followers, advertisers, etc...would ever permit showing a dog fight? Heck no. That footage has long been deleted because it would tarnish his image. What you see during that show does not even touch the surface of the work that hoes into training a dog. And I hate the alpha roll, kicking, choking nonsense.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
Wr8dIAUk

Wow, interesting to know! Am new to this so it's interesting to hear what people think! Kamdon what's lifetime? Don't live in the US
You are going to hear a lot more where that came from. Lol

He is not a popular subject here.

Lifetime is a channel here just for women. I was making a joke. Sorry

Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
aquadayAquaks

You are going to hear a lot more where that came from. Lol

He is not a popular subject here.

Lifetime is a channel here just for women. I was making a joke. Sorry
Haha it would appear I have a lot to learn! Oh well, that's why I'm here

Old 01-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #11
Tusanoc

Interesting take on him. Guess I have some learning to do as well. I bet I do a whole bunch of "no no's"

Old 01-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #12
valiumcheepval

Yea there are much better ways to train a dog than what he does. I dont have to kick or choke my dog to get him to respect me, he does because who brings him his food? Who lets him out? Who plays with him? Who teaches him things? Who gives him rules and boundaries? I do.
This dog would jump off a bridge if I asked, and I didnt have to kick, choke, or alpha roll him into anything.

I would love to see him try and alpha roll Bear lol, I would condone my dog biting his face. I mean who really does that crap? Also would be funny watching him try and kick and apha roll out Bear's dog aggression lol

Any questions you have about how to teach or train your dog, I would ask here and get as far away from anything Caesar has to say.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Interesting take on him. Guess I have some learning to do as well. I bet I do a whole bunch of "no no's"
Well the difference between him and you, if your willing to ask and learn and see if what your doing is right, it might be, might not be, but if your willing to learn you will do nothing but benefit you and your dogs relationship. He isnt and knows it all.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 AM   #13
somasideff

there are fights, and we see glimpes of them, on a recent ep a clients dog almost got eaten by the pack (his Junior-aka the bully called a pit bull- came at it like prey) all because cesar thought it was totally cool to drop two jrt's that hate each other into his pack to roam freely. the other dogs would of killed it had cesar not of grabbed it in time and lifted it away from the dogs. and when that tention hits, the dogs go after each other, resulting in cesar throwing his legs around to kick the terriers off. and that, was just a 2 second scene out of the weeks of filming. he wasnt AS bad in the past, but now it seems hes even more recklass and sooner or later a clients dog will die by his lack of common sense. they say he has multiple dog handlers daily, to make sure the pack stays stable, meaning, they can not leave them alone, something will break out.

my biggest issue with cesar is how he thinks theres no such thing as a dog being "happy" and expressing it. he thinks if the dog is even slightly excited, they are unstable. fuck that, my girl knows howto communicate with me, and when shes excited, i see it in her soul. i would be depressed if i came home to a dog that could care less i walked in. that to me would be an unhappy dog. and the whole pit bull thing, he calls every large headed dog a pit, and he "advocates" them. cesar puts way to much faith in the regular jow to be able to control DA, - "walk them, alpha roll them, and you will have a tired good dog not interested in DA".... one of these days i can see him being sued when someone does the alpha roll and gets bit.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #14
h0ldem

and as far as I can tell, no fights have ever broken out among his pack.
I bolded the key phrase here. The thing you have to remember is that this is a TV show, meant to gain ratings. If he showed footage of his dogs fighting, he wouldn't be selling himself very well and thus lose ratings because of it. In shows like this, the producers are going to pick and choose what they show the public to make a specific impact they're hoping for. Of course his dogs are always going to seem to behave and every dog is going to seem to react well to his out-dated techniques.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #15
Kitdowstyhodo

he wasnt AS bad in the past, but now it seems hes even more recklass and sooner or later a clients dog will die by his lack of common sense.
A client's dog OR a client who alpha rolls an unstable dog and gets mauled...

Old 01-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
MexicoCity

I didn't read all the replies, but how on earth can you assume dog fights have never broken out??? Of course they are not going to put all the fights on TV lol, but I can almost promise you dog fights take place there and are probably broken up and the dogs are alpha rolled which yes may help for the rest of the day but the fighters are likely to fight again another day.

Alpha rolling is bullshiz, I had some one alpha roll Leon, he is a fearful dog and gets excitement aggression... they rolled him and guess what, he bit their hand [or so they said] he would never in his life bite someone! Until they use force to submit him because he is then fighting for his life in his eyes.
I bet 100 bucks Cesar has been bitten multiple time wether it's a clients dog or one of his many own. Someday someone is going to report a vicious attack after alpha rolling their dog and guess who's going to get blamed... THE DOG. When we should be blaming trainers who recommended it! Like Cesar.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
hotelhyatt

As with anything else, learn the useful and throw out the useless.

Cesar methods/teachings I believe in are:

Exercise, discipline, affection in that order.

That dogs are bred for a reason and will behave accordingly (funny because he refuses to accept genetic DA in APBT's), so when a dog is so gung ho about his genetically pre-programmed purpose that dog must have a job.

That dogs need rules, boundaries and limitations.

And that dogs know how you're feeling so you must be calm and assertive when dealing with them or they will walk all over you.

On a recent episode, Cesar said "Dog has limits. Bulldog has no limit." and since I own an American Bulldog and 2 APBT's, I really do believe that, too. Ike and the girls would be migraine headaches if I didn't train them and work with them regularly.

I also believe that a dog needs to know that the humans are in charge, but I disagree with rolling them.

Pretty much everything else I have seen on the show I take worth a grain of salt. And I have seen a couple fights on the show, but those are played down quite a bit. The one that really sticks out is an owner had 2 APBT who were fighting a lot. Cesar took the aggressor to his home base and when he brought her back after "rehabilitation", she attacked either Junior or Daddy in the RV. Both dogs had to go to the vet and I believe one got stitches.

The dogs all wandering together do not do it unsupervised as he has full time staff there to deal with them, but you see them very rarely on screen.

Junior is probably not an APBT, but an Am Bully. And Daddy died a year or so ago from old age. I believe he was about 15 when he passed. Since I do watch the show and had for a year or so before Daddy's passing, I was very sad when he died and might have cried a bit.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Beragagnu

I didn't read all the posts made but people don't like Cesar for a lot of reasons but the main reason being the way he goes about training. He's very sneaky and lies to the camera.

In one case where a dog didn't get along with a cat... he was using a shock collar... but never told his viewers.

In another case where every time this (I believe wolf mix?) would be on a walk and would see another dog being walked he would get way out of control and would proceed to bite his own handler.... Well Cesar choked that dog until it passed out.

And in numerous cases (the last one mentioned included) he has been caught kicking dogs... he takes his right heel and kicks from behind his left leg landing in front of the hip area on the dog.... so it's hard for the camera to catch it (or they just edit it out completely).

And the Alpha roll.... wow...

Old 01-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #19
TheReallyBest

It's all edited anyway. I'm sure there's plenty of fights but like was said, he has a full-time staff to quell any fights that happen to jump off.

Cesar has ALWAYS used shock collara among other things to get the dogs to behave.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
anderriter

but I've been watching the 'Dog Whisperer' with Cesar Millan
Cesar is an idiot ......PROOF.....

Reply to Thread New Thread