LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-19-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
Sxscdergh

Default Owners Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics for Owners of American Pit Bull Terriers/American Staffordshire Terriers

Section I: Introduction

Introduction: This Code of Ethics presented by the Pit Bull Owners Alliance sets up guidelines for owners of American Pit Bull Terriers/American Staffordshire Terriers (Pit Bulls). These guidelines are designed to encourage responsible ownership. Pit Bull owners today face extraordinary challenges as this breed copes with the devastation of overpopulation, cruelty, irresponsible ownership, and breed specific legislation. Pit Bulls require dedicated, responsible and knowledgeable owners always, but especially so today given the current circumstances surrounding the breed.

Section II:
Guidelines for Responsible Ownership of the American Pit Bull Terrier/American Staffordshire Terrier (Pit Bull).

Item 1: The Pit Bull owner should always be aware that, just as their Pit Bull represents the breed to the public, they themselves represent Pit Bull owners to the public. A Pit Bull owner should always be a polite source of accurate information on the breed and publicly conduct themselves in a respectful, responsible fashion.

The ethical Pit Bull Owner:

1) researches the breed extensively, and follows recommendations for the care and management of the Pit Bull set forth by reputable Pit Bull resources.

2) is aware of the Pit Bull’s propensity for dog- and small-animal aggression, and takes the necessary steps to ensure the safety of other animals in the home as well as in public.

3) keeps his/her dog in control at all times while in public so as to always present a positive image of the breed.

Item 2: It is strongly advised that the Pit Bull be taken, at a minimum, through a basic-level obedience course. The Pit Bull should know and respond to basic obedience commands.

4) does not allow the Pit Bull to roam loose or run off leash in public places, and avoids off-leash dog parks.

5) never encourages in his/her Pit Bull aggressive behavior towards other animals or humans. (# 4 does not apply to owners who train and compete in recognized, organized working dog sports such as Schutzhund, French Ring, etc.)

6) upon discovering that his/her Pit Bull is displaying abnormal behavior such as human aggression (a serious temperament fault), immediately seeks out help from an experienced, reputable Pit Bull resource or trainer, and:

a) follows recommended behavior modification and/or veterinary protocols
b) takes steps to ensure that the Pit Bull can be kept from situations in which harm may be caused to a human

or if the Pit Bull's human aggression cannot be satisfactory resolved and/or contained

c) humanely euthanizes the Pit Bull

Item 3: It is not recommended that a human-aggressive Pit bull be kept by owners with children, and under no circumstances shall the human-aggressive Pit Bull be bred, or given away, sold, or adopted into another home unless the adoptive home is a Pit Bull-experienced home that fully recognizes and can manage the human-aggressive Pit Bull.

7) recognizes that most Pit Bulls in most situations should not be bred, and if the Pit Bull Owner decides to breed, he/she shall abide by the Code of Ethics for American Pit Bull Terrier/Staffordshire Terrier Breeders. Otherwise, see # 8 below.

8) spays/neuters his/her Pit Bull. Owners of dogs that are being shown in breed/conformation events would be exempt from # 8 until such time as the Pit Bull is retired from competition.

9) does not buy Pit Bulls from backyard or unethical breeders, or petshops/puppymills

10) upon finding he/she can no longer care for a Pit Bull shall:

a) contact reputable Pit Bull rescues or private shelters which have experience in placing Pit Bulls

or, in the event that no such organization is available

b) seek to place the Pit Bull on his/her own (please refer to the Code of Ethics for Pit Bull Rescue)

or,

c) have the Pit Bull humanely euthanized by a veterinarian.

Item 4: Turning a Pit Bull over to public animal shelters should be avoided whenever possible as many do not offer Pit Bulls for adoption
or do not have the knowledge and/or resources to properly house, evaluate and place Pit Bulls.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
BenBoobmers

Things I think few owners actually stop to think about unfortunately...

Old 09-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Dayreive

It occurred to me that being a responsible owner is kind of like having a good sense of humor: everyone thinks they have a good sense of humor, but do they really?

I thought this could use a bump.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
jeockammece

Permission to cross post?

Old 01-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
gooseCile

Permission to cross post?
Of course!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Qauunet

Great Post. I would add the importance of socializing an American Pit bull at an early age.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
Rexaviennatutr

Great Post. I would add the importance of socializing an American Pit bull at an early age.
I agree. This is most important even if your pitbull puppy does grow to be DA. It is important that we owners at least allow them the chance to have the experiences.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
tomsmuidh

This is a really good post. Someone everyone should read if they already have a pit, or are thinking of making one part of their family.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
nasdfrdg

Yeah, that's a good read. I agree w/SSb24, every pit owner should read, and then do what the post says... cheers!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
ErubTiereedig

beautiful... structured training and socializing is a must for a pit. they need to know who their master is!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
Muesrasrs

This is great

Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
intisgunkas

I rescued a pitbull puppy and have bought many books, talked to mny owners and have realized what a responsibility it is to own a pitbuill. I love mine and care for him daily. My biggest desire is to keep him safe.We run at 4:00 am daily when no one is walking their dog.. We play in the afternoon for 30 minutes in a secure area.He now is 10 months old and is the best dog I have ever owned but the most labor intensive. A pitbull is not for everyone. They have alot of energy and they have to have an outlet to release that energy. Thats for you advice on being a responsible pitbull owner

Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
Goksiodiffeli

Great read. I was just in Petsmart tonight with my son and 4 1/2 month, 41 lb APBT. Many dog owners with poor behaved dogs whom barked,yelped and pulled their leashes trying to get to Bam Bam. A loud snap, quick tug of his leash and a "sit" and there he was. A few people as well as employees commented about how calm and responsive he was for a "pit bull". Growing up with large breeds I explained to people that its the owner not the dog and that APBT's want to make their owners happy and what responsible owner doesn't take pride in having their APBT act more behaved than the excited lab, obnoxious toy dog wearing a sweater, or barking min pin.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #14
etdgxcnc

it is true these guys are not for any body you really need to be with them cos they are really powerful animals and can go wild if you let them. What they face today is what the humans have done for them for being loyal.
I heard somebody say the human holding the leash should be trained first.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #15
mincbiori

Should be a sticky!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
MexicoCity

Same here I'd love to cross post!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
Wymdqcvb

I'm new here and I'm going around reading all the pinned threads. I like this one it's very informative... I just hope I never have to humanely euthanize!!

Reply to Thread New Thread