LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
wgX44EEn

Default Livid right now!
A little background, I live with a room mate and my bf in a house.
Recently we took in another room mate who is in high school still because he had nowhere to go since his mom kicked him out for smoking weed in her house and he wanted to kill himself etc.
My bf and room mate are this kids boss as well.

So said kid moves in this weekend, its great he cleans and is very good about cleaning up after himself and polite. He was told before he even moved in that he was not to have friends over unless we were home because of Izzy.
Shes a Cane Corso x and will bite any stranger who walks through her house like she was bred to do, because of that NO ONE in the house has someone new over unless I am home, the bf and room mate totally get this and are great about it.

Well the kid come home today for lunch Izzy was down stairs and I had just got out of shower so I was in a towel still and just stayed in my room. I hear her growl then run up stairs and go nuts with barking and growling, I thought someone had broken into the house. I throw clothes on and run down stairs to see and the kid is home with a friend.
I lost it, asked if anyone was bit he said no so i grabbed her and went upstairs.

Called the bf to let him know since this kid is his responsibility, he talks to him on the phone and freaks on him tells him to tell his friend to gtfo.

I come back down and tell him that i dont need this because of his stupidity, I dont need a lawsuit, dead dog and criminal charges because of him being stupid. He was shaking and looked like he was going to cry, and said he would never do it again.

I feel bad for him when the boys come home tonight cause they are going to just loose it on him.
I'm still shaking from the whole thing.

Now off to work to dwell on it even more...

Old 01-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
OgrGlgHu

sounds to me like he needs a reality check but try to go a lil easy on him since he's a kid...Well how old is he?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
wgX44EEn

I think he's 18, I feel bad but I also want him to know how serious this was.
I think when I get home I'm going to find a bunch of cane corso info and tell him to read and something about our laws when it comes to dogs.
He will be home alone for a couple hours so I'm sure he will be thinking about it.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
BoomBully

Tough situation. I get why your angry, Roxy was kind of the same way so I liked to be around for all first time intro's with people, but I've never had to live with, well I guess kind of a random stranger before. We've had friends stay with us for short periods of time but they knew 100% not to dick around with Roxy, and once they were in the house, as long as they weren't doing something stupid (touching my shit or eating my ice cream lol), she was actually pretty good with them. My attitude was if you don't like the rules around the dog go somewhere else. She was here first and the dog behaves better than you probably do anyways!

Did you ever have "the talk" (not birds and bees! lol) with this kid? About why this is so important? I think sometimes people don't get it until someone explains it to them, not to fight about it, but to have a "real talk".

My niece and nephew came to live with me when I was 18, they were... 5 and 9. They had never really been around dogs in their life. They were scared, but with time loosened up, almost too loose and I caught my nephew messing around with Hades pretty darned rough one day. Hades didn't do anything, but this is when we had the talk.

This was more geared to the kids provoking the dogs, so it might sound cruel, but I had to get my point across. My dog bites you because you hurt him, my dog dies. Of course we went over how hurt they could be in an attack/bite, but the scariest thing for them, now quite attached to the dogs, was that Hades, or Roxy would be dead. I actually think my nephew, just a little one, cried during the talk once he realized the severity.

You can tell if the kid is worried about it or not, whether he cares or not. If you think he cares, I'm sure he'd appreciate another chance, but the hard ass in me from having a dog that will bite a "stranger" in the home says if the kid blows you off, find somewhere else to live. Some people I'm sure won't understand what it's like to have and live with a dog like this and that's okay. But in my experience with Roxy, the situation in your OP is one that's at least asking for some posturing and growling, maybe even more if they don't stop in their tracks. Your dog doesn't really know the kid staying with you so it's not like a trusted person has "okay'd" a stranger in the home.

I wish you luck and I really think if you think the kid could smarten up, you, knowing everything you do about your dog have the best chance of explaining why this rule is so important.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
mincbiori

Uhm, I'm not trying to be rude, but didn't you tell him not to bring a friend over unless you were home? Well, you were home when he brought this friend over...

Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
AnypecekceS

Uhm, I'm not trying to be rude, but didn't you tell him not to bring a friend over unless you were home? Well, you were home when he brought this friend over...
I agree. You need to be more clear on what you want from this guy. Do you want to be home when he has a friend over? Or do you want to be home and aware he has someone over? Maybe he knew you were there and thought it was okay. Maybe from now on when you're home and don't have a visual on the dog (i.e. you're in the shower, or in the room changing) you can put her in a safe place.

I understand you're helping this guy out, but if you're going to invite him into your home...then it has to be his home too. He has to be comfortable living there.

I think you guys flew off the handle unnecessarily and think you should apologize.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
fenter1

She wanted to be home when the kid brought friends over so she could watch the dog and intervene if there was going to be a problem, the dog became aggressive or something. She was in the shower, she didnt know the kid had a friend over. See where i'm going? Plenty of reason to be pissed.

Barb- Do you always have to be confrontational? Seems like every time you reply to someone no matter what it is, you have something negative to say.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
aideriimibion

With a dog like that, roommate living situation is a bad idea. Why would anybody have a human aggressive dog and then allow people to live with them?

When a kids parents kick him or won't put up with his shit, that is a pretty good indicator he won't be a good roommate. Lets face it, if your parents can't live with you, who the hell else can?

A little foresight goes a long way. As soon as I start reading the background set up to the story I can already see the red flags waiving. It is like saying I have this very DA dog and the other day we went to the dog park and an idiot..... Well you get the idea.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
ycMC0PLg

I think it is an understandable thing to be mad/annoyed since he gave you no notice that he had a friend over and he really should have had the friend wait outside while he came in to find and let you know. What if you ha been out shopping by chance? He had no way o knowing you were there if you were not in sight and said friend was still in the home.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Kuncher

how much did you inform him of the situation of the dog?
i think i would give him as much information on the dog and what can happen to a stranger in your house and the liability you face. make sure he really knows just what you mean so that he doesn't bring another person into the house without you there.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
OgrGlgHu

I think he's 18, I feel bad but I also want him to know how serious this was.
I think when I get home I'm going to find a bunch of cane corso info and tell him to read and something about our laws when it comes to dogs.
He will be home alone for a couple hours so I'm sure he will be thinking about it.
18 is old enough to know better i just turned 19 so never mind about not going hard on him give him hell

Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
mincbiori

She wanted to be home when the kid brought friends over so she could watch the dog and intervene if there was going to be a problem, the dog became aggressive or something. She was in the shower, she didnt know the kid had a friend over. See where i'm going? Plenty of reason to be pissed.

Barb- Do you always have to be confrontational? Seems like every time you reply to someone no matter what it is, you have something negative to say.
No,I was GENUINELY asking. Ali is usually pretty confrontational herself, lol. She said "I told him not to have friends over unless I was home". Well, she was home when he brought this person over. He must have known she was home, just didn't know she was in the shower. Maybe she was more specific with the rules with him, I'm not sure. I have roommates that have caused trouble with my dog too, so I understand the shit it can cause, but the way she made it sound in the original post is a little askew.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
Hixinfineedom

I didn't read all the replies, so forgive me if I repeat some stuff!

How the hell was the kid supposed to know she was in the shower when he came home with a friend? For all he knew - she was HOME. From what we were told in the post, that's the only requirement to him bringing someone over... not to wait to bring someone in until the OP was informed of a new person and could handle the dog accordingly. It sounds like you didn't prepare the kid properly, but instead just expected him to know what you meant when you said you must be home.

I feel bad for the kid. I wouldn't want to be living in a situation where I got reamed for a small mistake that wasn't entirely my fault! Especially if my mum had kicked me out and I was depressed.

I think the kid needs to be TALKED to like a rational being, not yelled at like an irresponsible child... considering this is not just HIS mistake, but a huge on on YOUR part for not being damn clear about the responsibility of living with your dog.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
mincbiori

I didn't read all the replies, so forgive me if I repeat some stuff!

How the hell was the kid supposed to know she was in the shower when he came home with a friend? For all he knew - she was HOME. From what we were told in the post, that's the only requirement to him bringing someone over... not to wait to bring someone in until the OP was informed of a new person and could handle the dog accordingly. It sounds like you didn't prepare the kid properly, but instead just expected him to know what you meant when you said you must be home.

I feel bad for the kid. I wouldn't want to be living in a situation where I got reamed for a small mistake that wasn't entirely my fault! Especially if my mum had kicked me out and I was depressed.

I think the kid needs to be TALKED to like a rational being, not yelled at like an irresponsible child... considering this is not just HIS mistake, but a huge on on YOUR part for not being damn clear about the responsibility of living with your dog.
Ahhh, I seriously love you sometimes lady.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
saruxanset

I wish I was there to stick up for this kid. And yes he is only a kid.
Kicked out of his home, suicidal. Give him a fucking break.
You told him he could have friends over if you were home. Do you have a car? Could he have heard the water running in your shower and knew you were home?
What the fuck did he do wrong? You were HOME.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
harriettvanders

I don't think she was that tough on the kid but the kid should have thought of telling his friend to wait outside but most kids don't think that far

Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #17
deackatera

Clearly if the OP had explained to the kid that the dog was NOT friendly with strangers, then by her saying "don't have people over unless I'm home" means "don't have anyone around the dog unless the dog is with me so nobody gets bit" type thing. I don't think this kid is an idiot. Yeah the lady was "home" but the dog was still lose and he must have known (and been explained to) that the dog hated strangers. He should have known that, had she really specified how dangerous the dog could be.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
viepedorlella

1. I personally would not have taken in a roommate with those kind of issues. He's going to be too immature to follow through with your requests.... as he has proven to you by his actions! Kick him out. Maybe he'll learn something from that and grow up a little and start doing for himself.

2. No your dog was not bred to do that. A stable, well bred/socialized/trained Cane Corso is not going to act like your dog. Yes it would be aloof, but it would allow you to invite people in and would be polite to them. It sounds like you have a mutt with less than stellar temperament that needs EXTREMELY careful management given what a large powerful dog that mix is. I would honestly crate the dog when you yourself are not directly supervising it.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #19
aideriimibion

This is a classic case of someone having a dog that can be dangerous toward humans, then placing that dog in a situation where its human contact cannot be controlled reliably. It's an accident waiting to happen. Anybody with a dog like this who then allows a living situation where they do not have the dog confined so that even if an accidental lapse occurs is just really waiting to be sued and deservedly so. I mean if your dog will bite people, you need to prevent people from coming into contact with it, even if that is just accidental.

Trusting a kid or roomy is sort of skirting you own responsibility and taking a tremendous risk as the owner of a human aggressive dog. Let me know how this works out. I do have a question, the OP stated the dog will bite any stranger that comes into the house, has this dog bitten anybody before? Maybe you should instruct all residents of the house that nobody is to be there if the dog is not properly contained. I agree with Monkee's post above. Any dog that will bite even strangers is a problem, no well bred dog is bred to bite indiscriminately, especially when you are in the house.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
mincbiori

Monkeys23, that's wrong. He's suicidal and was kicked out of his house by his mother. Unless you can understand that, don't try to say what should be done.

Reply to Thread New Thread