LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
GooogleGuy

Default Is your dog healthy and where did it come from?
Just curious. I know it should probably be in the health section, but I wanted the highest possible number of responses.

Health problem, for the purposes of this poll, is any chronic issue. Allergies, bone, joint, ligament, digestive problems etc. etc.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

I made it multiple choice for those with more than one dog.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Hammaduersnes

My dog came from AC. No, she's not healthy. Her stomach/digestive system is a wreck, she's allergic to grass and dust, one lung was wrecked by the pneumonia she had, and she has a random skin condition where her hair follicles grow backwards and then erupt in nasty growths. My vet is convinced she will still outgrow the stomach and lung issues. I hope he's right.

My son's pit bull mix Achilles, we found as a pup. He's 2 now. Just found out yesterday he has Valley Fever, and it's in his bones. That kind of sucks, but the vet is sure he's going to be ok in a few months.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
BadbarmrapBef

I had a hard time choosing for Wilson & Piper.. they aren't "rescues" per say, but they aren't really from "breeders" either. Wilson was an oops litter (everyone is now spayed/neutered), and Piper was from a BYB.

Anyway. None of my dogs have any health issues. I thought Piper was a mess, but really, since I've switched her to raw, all of her "issues" are gone! She did have Demodex as a pup though, but that's been gone for over a year now.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
GooogleGuy

For me, Rita is a disaster and came from my brother, who got her from a BYB. Since he was going to dump her at the pound, I consider her a rescue.

Ike, Owen, and Renee are all breeder dogs I picked as pups and they are healthy. Only issue I have with that lot was Owen's Pano and that is just a fancy word for growing pains. He's fine now that he is an adult.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
fotochicaes

I am saying healthy because Goren's allergy is very managable and because of that I would consider him healthy, if he had something like an environmental allergy that is harder to manage and had flare ups I would say he was not healthy

didn't put Logan on because I am not sure if he has allergies yet, he is not yet a year and though he is healthy, he is also blue so could have allergies spark up any time that I am unaware of at this time that could be a lot of trouble comparison to Goren's

Old 12-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Gideleb

I voted from breeder w/ problems.

Problems being her allergies.

I don't really think they're a huge deal...we manage them, they don't really affect her quality of life...but managing them is fairly expensive (allergy shots, dermatologist, occasional rounds of antibiotics, special shampoo and weekly baths, etc.) so I would imagine that most people paying a shitload of money to a breeder would be less than happy dealing with all that.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
GooogleGuy

I voted from breeder w/ problems.

Problems being her allergies.

I don't really think they're a huge deal...we manage them, they don't really affect her quality of life...but managing them is fairly expensive (allergy shots, dermatologist, occasional rounds of antibiotics, special shampoo and weekly baths, etc.) so I would imagine that most people paying a shitload of money to a breeder would be less than happy dealing with all that.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people would have surrendered the dog to the breeder (depending on contract and if breeder was willing) or to a shelter/rescue by now.

Most of the Bullies that have problem in this poll seem to have been gotten from a shelter/rescue, so far. Have to wonder if their problems are how they ended up there.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
NutChusty

I didn't do the poll

One of mine is not a "bully breed". Sugar is from a rescue and has mobility issues.

I would have said my buddy boy Rowdy from a BYB was healthy ... until just before I had to let him go at almost 5 years of age for grade 3 mast cell cancer.

Mason ... too young to tell but so far so good and I don't want to jinx him LOL ... well unless wonky ears (which he has in spades) is some kind of problem HA

Old 12-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
Gideleb

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would have surrendered the dog to the breeder (depending on contract and if breeder was willing) or to a shelter/rescue by now.

Most of the Bullies that have problem in this poll seem to have been gotten from a shelter/rescue, so far. Have to wonder if their problems are how they ended up there.
You know in the beginning I tried to talk to the breeder. I could not for the life of me figure out why she seemed to be being so...cagey. She flat out denied that any of her dogs had allergy problems (??) and I was getting so frustrated because all I wanted to know was "what might she be allergic to and what treatment might be successful"; I thought it would be easier if she could just point me in the right direction.

Then through further conversations I figured out that she thought I might want her to take the dog back. Like I've had, cared for and loved a dog for over a year and I'm just going to turn around and...give it back????? I was seriously like WTF? Really?? People do that shit?

It probbaly is just me. This is one of the reasons why I don't foster. You could give me Cujo and the only way you'd get that dog back from me would be over my dead body.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Freeptube

I have seven total. Three bull breeds four non. The three bull breeds and three curs come from fellow hunters. No health problems with any of them. The last one came from a shelter, no problems with him either.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Anaedilla

i dont really consider allergies an "issue" (unless its something excessive like allergic to damn near everything) but since it was here, i added one to "breeder with health problems"

Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
AlabamaBoyz

There is no option for what I have.

I have two sled dog mutts (obviously non-bully breed) that are both shelter/rescue. One badly bred and one well bred. Both are healthy as a horse, though with dietary sensitivities, but thats normal because dogs are freaking carnivores!!!

Scout has crap genetics. She was from a hoarding bust, but was born after the dogs were seized by officials and placed in "rescue". The rescue group was not reputable and did not properly screen the dogs before deciding whether to euth or place them. Most adults who stayed in the Butte shelter were euthanized, but the puppies at the shelter were adopted out. Many of those pups returned and were euthed for behavior issues. Scout is one of the lucky ones in that she is stable. She's not quite normal, but she is a damn good dog. She was further screwed by unqualified pet owners who had no idea how to raise a normal GSD/Sibe mix, nevermind one with less than stellar genetics.... good people, but did not help Scout. She's changed drastically for the better being with me in a stable environment and having socialization and a "job" to keep her occupied. She was unfortunately put in situations in a previous home where even most stable dogs probably would have bitten, she did not and is an exceptional dog for having such a high threshold in such a horrid situation. We're lucky to have each other.

Lily was beaten and dumped by her first owner. It was a middle aged man with glasses. We know this because she was specifally scared of that type of person when I first adopted her. She's kosher with everyone now. She's a very nice dog and quickly recovered from her past and thrived with good exercise and training. She's done herding (I had to stop because lessons are pricey), PP/schutzhund (my dogs are both extremely social.... in fact doing PP training has made Scout MORE social with people.... I am lucky to have a great postive trainer who is experienced in Schutzhund, French Ring, Police work, and PP.), and we do lots of obedience. I don't care about trialing really, just like workign my dogs and am gaining experience. My next dog I plan to trial.
I am nearly positive it was a typical case of "oh look, lets get a cute husky puppy!" "Oh shit we didn't exercise it and it ate out house... lets beat it... well that didn't work, lets dump it."
Huskies aren't pets! Don't get one unless you are a friggin' marathon runner or something!

Spaz the foster showed up as a stray. I took him in because my neighbors were abusing him trying to chase him off. He has a home lined up that will be training him to be their service dog. He is extremely intelligent, stable, and healthy. Definitely needs a job, lol.

I would like a Malinois or GSD from a reputable breeder, however any northern breed dog I get will be from rescue and I would absolutely take a breeder rehome malinois or GSD over a puppy.... I'd rather give a young adult what it needs than raise a puppy from scratch. If the genetics are good, its easy peasy to socialize and get what you want out of the dog, IF you have the experience to do it right that is! Also, I'm not looking to be a top competitor, I just want to have fun and if we can get some titles great! Too damn many excellent dogs being screwed over by pet owners. I wish people wouldn't get working dogs as pets.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
GooogleGuy

i dont really consider allergies an "issue" (unless its something excessive like allergic to damn near everything) but since it was here, i added one to "breeder with health problems"
On the one hand, considering all that can go wrong, allergies are not a big deal to me. On the other hand, Rita does suffer and I shell out money for treatments at the vet, for medication over the counter, and for food specifically because of her allergies. So, I guess it is still not a big deal, but a pain in the butt.

I know a lot of dog owners between the internet and the real world.

Most of the real world people wouldn't be able to afford the $300 every couple months at the vet, plus extra food costs, plus meds that I pay out and would have to give up an allergy dog, just let it suffer, or put it down. Honestly, I can't really afford it, either. I just skimp and save elsewhere to do it. Like giving up my new windows *sigh*. I need them, but I need Rita to be relatively well more.

A lot of those that could afford it think it's stupid to bother, that Rita is defective, and that I should put her down or take her to the pound and get a "normal" dog.

We don't know what she is allergic to, yet, but my husband is betting on everything,lol. Chronic ear infections and fur loss along with the occasional hive break out and itchiness is a pain!

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

You know in the beginning I tried to talk to the breeder. I could not for the life of me figure out why she seemed to be being so...cagey. She flat out denied that any of her dogs had allergy problems (??) and I was getting so frustrated because all I wanted to know was "what might she be allergic to and what treatment might be successful"; I thought it would be easier if she could just point me in the right direction.

Then through further conversations I figured out that she thought I might want her to take the dog back. Like I've had, cared for and loved a dog for over a year and I'm just going to turn around and...give it back????? I was seriously like WTF? Really?? People do that shit?

It probbaly is just me. This is one of the reasons why I don't foster. You could give me Cujo and the only way you'd get that dog back from me would be over my dead body.
Yes, people do that. It's pretty sad. I wouldn't. I am very attached to my morons.

Not sure I'd keep a Cujo, but I don't have a problem keeping a stable dog that just needs training and exercise or medication/treatment as long as I can afford it or am fostering and the rescue is paying for it.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
BadbarmrapBef

Yes, people do this, especially if the dog was a show prospect and turns out to not meet the breed standard. Not sure I've heard of a dog being returned due to allergies though, that seems a bit extreme!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
GooogleGuy

There is no option for what I have.
I think I would consider those as non-bully from rescue and healthy. They aren't sick, they're just sled dogs who had a rough time with stupid people.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
Anaedilla

On the one hand, considering all that can go wrong, allergies are not a big deal to me. On the other hand, Rita does suffer and I shell out money for treatments at the vet, for medication over the counter, and for food specifically because of her allergies. So, I guess it is still not a big deal, but a pain in the butt.

I know a lot of dog owners between the internet and the real world.

Most of the real world people wouldn't be able to afford the $300 every couple months at the vet, plus extra food costs, plus meds that I pay out and would have to give up an allergy dog, just let it suffer, or put it down.

A lot of those that could afford it think it's stupid to bother, that Rita is defective, and that I should put her down or take her to the pound and get a "normal" dog.

We don't know what she is allergic to, yet, but my husband is betting on everything,lol. Chronic ear infections and fur loss along with the occasional hive break out and itchiness is a pain!
that would suck. mine doesnt even have that. shes allergic to corn. what dog really isnt? lol. the other is allergic to fire ants.. and well thats also a given. but i mean allergies pertaining to food i dont consider an issue, same with some environmental issues, however, when it becomes to the point where you need to constantly give the dogs meds all the time, dogs cant even walk outside without looking like its dying, then id consider it an issue

Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
GooogleGuy

Yes, people do this, especially if the dog was a show prospect and turns out to not meet the breed standard. Not sure I've heard of a dog being returned due to allergies though, that seems a bit extreme!
I guess that depends on the people, what they can afford, what they are willing to do as far as treatment. Some people really want a "perfect" dog and will dump a dog that needs daily meds or more than one trip to the vet a year.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #18
ancexiaepidge

Bindi, my GSD/Malinois/Akita/Aussie thing came from a shelter. no health issues, but she can be a bit fearful, especially of men. She wouldn't dream of biting someone, she'll just bark or growl and run away. (I'm still careful though, can't take chances)

Old 12-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
GooogleGuy

that would suck. mine doesnt even have that. shes allergic to corn. what dog really isnt? lol. the other is allergic to fire ants.. and well thats also a given. but i mean allergies pertaining to food i dont consider an issue, same with some environmental issues, however, when it becomes to the point where you need to constantly give the dogs meds all the time, dogs cant even walk outside without looking like its dying, then id consider it an issue
Yeah, she's pretty bad on the allergy scale. It was seasonal for the first 2 years, but in year 3 she started breaking into hives, losing a lot of fur, having more frequent ear infections, obsessively nibbling her paws, and scratching more often throughout the year.

I refuse to give up on her. She's been trough a lot. She was BYB bred, her mother literally ate most of the litter, she was given to my brother at 3 weeks old, she had her ears infected for 8 months and never had vet care, was crated 24/7 because the shaking and scratching made him nuts, almost went to the pound, got diagnosed with a hormone imbalance, got pyometra because we had to delay her spay due to the ear treatments suppressing her immune system and we also found a heart murmur, so we had to get a 2nd opinion on her being able to survive surgery. Rofl, my lil Rita-rd.

A lot of friends, family, people I have chatted with about her have said flat out that they would have given her away or put her down by now. But I love her.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
qd0vhq4f

Hard to answer correctly.
Rosie came from a recuse (6+yrs old) she was healthy, but had some healing injuries (drain tubes, stitches,etc)
Nick was abandoned at a vet clinic and had been sick while he was there. When we got him, he was still weak from being so sick, but basically healthy. He has since had a couple cancer scares.
Frankie came from a shelter,and is healthy, other than a case of worms,which is pretty normal.

Reply to Thread New Thread