LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
fuesquemill

Default Puppy sounds vicious while playing..
So my female pit is probley about 16 to 18 weeks now. Shes super loving and good with kids. BUT while playing she growls and it sounds straight up scary. She gets real wound up and sounds like she is angry. I dont play rough but notice she really starts doing it when you do the whole push her away and she comes running right back, so you can push her back away again game.
She also does it with toys. But she growls and runs and then come back for more, so Im hoping its playing. I guess she just sounds so vicious it makes a little nervous. Should we just not ever play with her or is this normal? Or are some dogs more vocal while they play?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
tevyrefficy

Is she biting when she makes noise?
My dog has always been super vocal to the point that it scares people all the time.
I'll try and get a video and post it up but she is harmless.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
JohnImamadviser

sounds normal behaviour for the bull breeds , just make sure that you are in control of the situation at all times and are confident and able to stop the games as and when you want to...and make sure the pup knows this,,

Old 12-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Intockatt

Koi isn't a Pit bull, but even now she growls a lot while playing. Even when I let her play with Snow from time to time. I don't think its a sign of early aggression. I would teach her how to 'settle down' so when she gets wound up to that point just have her to calm down and wait a couple minutes before resuming play.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
Qahtwugc

All of my dogs are vocal and get pretty loud when playing. If play gets too intense for you, just stop play and have the pup calm down a bit before resuming.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Cxcvvfbgtr

Kahne sounds like hes going to eat someone or another dog when he plays hes just vocal. Like MJJean said if it get to intense for you just stop plau and have her calm down

Old 12-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
LianneForbess

All my dogs do that, even the puppy. As long as they don't get too rough, I let it go. One word from me, and they cool it.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Gideleb

Veronica is a very vocal player.

When she plays with her boyfriend (the only other dog she can get along with) it sounds like they are killing each other. We were letting them play before agility class one time and we were asked to move because we were "scaring the other students".

As has been said, just keep an eye on the game, maybe stop play every once in awhile and do a little obedience, use play to teach "drop it" and "leave it" in relation to the toys. Just remember she's a puppy she has to learn impulse control and it will be hard for her at first.

I think maybe the more time you spend with her, the more you get to know your own dog, the more you will be able to read her and the more comfortable you will get. Try to keep in mind, no matter how scary she sounds...she's just a baby dog.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
rarpAcconavox

All of my dogs are vocal and get pretty loud when playing. If play gets too intense for you, just stop play and have the pup calm down a bit before resuming.
This is sound advice.. Some dogs are more vocal than others. If this isn't something you like, stop the play and calm them down.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #10
Qahtwugc

Jazzy's suggestion is a good one and something I did with my dogs. When the pup is calm, start working on leave it and drop it. Once the pup knows what those things mean you can start working on leave and drop when the pup is riled up during play. It's great practice for real world situations like the pup stealing something and running around like a fool with it. I have saved many pairs of shoes, socks, and underwear because I worked on leave it and drop it while excited.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #11
Freeptube

Same goes for adults. Most of the catch dogs I've had have been dead silent when they catch. Never a sound just grab on and hold. The one I have now is a snarling, growling maniac from about the last ten feet in to the hog and when she first catches. First time I heard it I wondered what the heck was going on, now I'm used to it.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #12
lYVgWWcP

If she gets too persistant and won't "go away" when you push her away, you could always try to just simply ignore her. Just get up and walk away and ignore her attempts to get you to play. This worked VERY well for my dog when he was younger, he was extremely annoying, persistant and rough but he thrived on our attention. The minute we focused our attention on something else, it was the end of the world for him and he soon caught on.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
AbraxiaAsus

It's the same as talking smack when you're playing games with your friends some have bigger mouths and talk more crap than others. With my two boys Achilles is the most vocal, Powder use to be the quiet one but now he's starting to talk more when he wants to play and Achilles is playing with his ball instead of Powder. More often then not it's the young buck talking smack to his Elder.

Getting to know your dogs body language and sounds they make is very important. So that you know when it's play or serious and can stop it before it gets out of hand.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #14
PharmACT

If you are scared now just wait until the puppy voice gets replaced with the "big dog" voice . My dog is 13 months. At around 9 he went from his little baby yelp to his big boy bark. His growling is much louder now. The only time he growls is when we play tug of war with a rope, frisbee, bone, shoe whatever lol. I can stick my hand in his mouth and steal the rope toy from him while hes growling. When we had a shorter rope he would almost get your finger when trying to get a better grip but as soon as you yelp he stops. Point is hes playing and knows when hes gone to far. As long as the growling is happening while you are playing i wouldn't worry about it.

If the growling is happening when trying to put him in a cage or when feeding him then i would worry about it. My dog got attacked at 7 months and for about 8 weeks after he was back and forth to the vet and taking pain meds and he was a moody mofo. Totally unpredictable he growled and snapped at me once when trying to get him in his cage. After the meds were gone and he was feeling better it never happened again.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
drexigordiche

My pup maximus is ten weeks now and he has a ver viscious killer puppy growl lol when he fights with my blankets (still can't figure out why he likes to play with my covers when he has plenty of other toys) but he will stop growling/playing then give me kisses when I say quit it. you just have to get your girl to learn that play time is play time and when you don't want to play anymore to stop.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 AM   #16
zttrftwsq

One of the most intense, scary sounds my wife ever heard was from my dog when I wrestle him and it gets rough. but he stops dead when i say "enough." no big deal.

Reply to Thread New Thread