LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Aswdwdfg

Default I've officially lost my mind....
Most of you know that we had to put Jasper, our 2 year old put/mastiff/pug mix, down last week.

I was lying in bed last night with the baby trying to get her to go to sleep. As I was staring at the ceiling, wide awake, I saw Jasper laying above me, chewing on his bone.

I think I've lost my mind....anyone else experience anything like this after putting a dog to sleep?

Old 12-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
exhibeKed

I don't know if there is something after this life or if grief just makes us a tad nuts, but I couldn't throw Patches pillow away after he died and I glimpsed him sleeping on it a couple times out of the corner of my eye. Months after he died I felt ok about tossing it and I wondered then if I only felt ok then because his spirit had moved on or if it was just that the grief had lessened.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Aswdwdfg

We haven't moved any of Jasper's stuff, food and water bowls, crate, bed, bones - NOTHING! I was going to, but in John's sensitive state, I didn't want him to feel as though I was trying to wipe out his existence from my memory.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
exhibeKed

When we had to put down our HA AB, I went on this crying jag and threw everything the dog had away. A couple weeks later I really regretted it. I tossed some nice stuff I could have donated to a rescue or shelter or simply cleaned well and used with my next dog.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Belindanan

Don't worry,insanity is a perfectly normal side effect of hanging out here.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
Keeriewof

After loosing Rowdy, I saw him out of the corner of my eye from time to time and sensed that he lingered. Of course it was insane and only a manifestation in my mind and a symptom of my profound loss.

I couldn't even bring myself to move Rowdy's favorite ball from the last place he put it in the yard and didn't touch it until the new pup, Mason found it and started playing with it.

Rowdy, Sugar and I slept together in my bed every night but with Rowdy gone, I couldn't sleep in the bed for almost a month and didn't even make the bed from the last time he was there. I chose to sleep in a chair or on the sofa instead.

I'm not normally emotional or attached like that to animals, or even people. It must have been insanity LOL.

I keep Rowdy's collar with tags in a place I see it from time to time. It's not cleaned up either. It still has his hair spun into it. Oh and yeah, that's Rowdy in my avatar ... really don't want to change it right now. Travel well and run free buddy boy ~~~

Old 12-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
68AttendGem

You haven't lost your mind. I believe that they have a way of letting us know that they are ok after they pass on.
I just put down my old man Conner on Dec. 2nd and over the past couple of weeks I have heard him bark downstairs in the middle of the night. Found the laundry room door open (which only Conner did). And most recently while channel surfing, came across a guy reading an excerpt from a book called Memiors. It was about a dog that was born, grew up to become a great show dog, retire and become a family pet and was now at the end of his life. It reminded me that he is happy where he is now, and no longer the old man. He is strong and proud like he was in his prime.

I think Jasper just wants you to know that he no longer is afraid or hurting and can now relax and chew on his bone while he waits for you at the bridge.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Xzmwskxn

I think Jasper just wants you to know that he no longer is afraid or hurting and can now relax and chew on his bone while he waits for you at the bridge.
That brought a tear to my eye. I sure miss my Sadie. Can't wait to see her again.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Aswdwdfg

Thanks everyone! I have my own set of wacked out beliefs so it's hard to think that he is somewhere. I do believe that the spirits of the people we love hang out for a while after they pass. I've had crazy experiences after family members have passed on. When my grandmother passed, we wanted to play a song at her funeral, but the church wouldn't allow it. Every time it was a special day, my birthday, her birthday, anniversary of her death, I'd turn on the radio and that song would play for about 3-4 years. When my uncle passed tragically, my son and I were downstairs in our apartment at the time and his piggy bank started oinking and shaking(it normally did this when you pushed its tail), but no one was upstairs and when I went up to check it out it wasn't even near anything and I started finding random coins all over the house. When my grandfather passed, I walked out my apartment to bring some stuff out to my car and it smelled horribly outside my house for some reason. I commented about how bad it smelled and walked back inside, when I went back out 5 minutes later to leave - it smelled exactly like my grandfather's house. The sweet smell of musty old cigars.

So I believe in spirits, but not the "almighty" I just thought it weird to literally see my pup. The image was so real, I felt like I could reach out and pet him.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
QQ9ktYrV

I like JakesMom's way of thinking. After I had to have Maxx put down (internal bleeding and he was at least 13 yrs old, maybe 14, but I had him for 11 yrs), I didn't move his blanket or his food bowl for months. His food bowl sat with his dry kibble in it right where he left it. I just couldn't bring myself to move his stuff for several months. I have never had to have a dog put down before Maxx, so I don't know if what I did was normal or not, but no one touched his things or moved his blanket. For a while, it was sacred ground for me... my way of keeping him with me. I never saw him or sensed his presence like others have mentioned, but his things were not removed from his place for a long time. When Sheaba died, I swore no one would ever be allowed to sleep in her dog house, and no one did for over a year, until I adopted Maxx. How fitting that the one I finally allowed to sleep in her dog house would look so much like her. And they both had that same gentle spirit.... and they are both still terribly missed, even though Sheaba has been gone for nearly 13 years.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #11
Gideleb

After our Basset Hound passed on, I was lounging in bed one morning and I heard her walk into the room. I felt her jump onto the bed next to me and settle in.

I'm not a superstitious, religious or spiritual person...but there you have it...

Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Aswdwdfg

Ok. So maybe I'm still crazy, but at least I'm not the only crazy one!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
twinaircant

you know..sometimes it is really hard on the mind to make a decision like the one you made, i hope soon enough you feel better and perhaps the "craziness" will subside.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #14
Aztegjpl

My dead dogs seem to make themselves know for a little while after they have passed. But only in nice, this is just normal stuff, ways.
Glimpse out of the corner of the eye, jumping on the bed, barks....

sniff....

Old 12-17-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
exhibeKed

Ok. So maybe I'm still crazy, but at least I'm not the only crazy one!
Yeah, this forum is great for making the crazies feel normal.

I still go outside behind the garage to Patches grave and talk to him sometimes when i am doing yard work or herding the dogs back in. 2 years after his death.

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

We haven't moved any of Jasper's stuff, food and water bowls, crate, bed, bones - NOTHING! I was going to, but in John's sensitive state, I didn't want him to feel as though I was trying to wipe out his existence from my memory.
Y know, with all that stuff there maybe you just need a dog to use it. I know, I know. You aren't ready yet. But you will be. So, clean it up and put it in a closet somewhere for your next dog to use. And tell him/her all about Jasper.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:23 AM   #16
Aswdwdfg

Your not crazy. I'm guessing you don't believe in spirits/ghosts. Yes, sometimes it can be the mind playing games on you but sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's actually a spirit/ghost and that could have been Jasper. I've only ever experienced a death of one dog, Toga, my mums dog. She was the best dog hands down though I didn't like her as much as everyone else. The day she passed on, I was a wreak. Two weeks later I was in school, doing work when I saw Toga, CLEAR as day but she was see through, everything around me seemed to pause and become silent. She walked up to me, I felt her saying 'It's alright, I'm safe and I'm happy' She then jumped on her back feet and placed her front paws on my hands. This lasted a good minute. I will never forgot that day. I had a guinea pig pass away, once I had buried her, I felt her scratching at my foot and randomly I'd her her squeaks. I hope to see the spirit of my current two when they pass on.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #17
Belindanan

Old 12-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #18
Aswdwdfg

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

O. I just saw you have had ghostly experiences. There's been some interesting experiences here. It proves a lot of dogs do visit us after they pass. I've actually had one other experience with ghost animals. For years I'd randomly see a brindle Staffy at times in the yard, I believe that was Toga. I haven't seen her for years though. I've seen a few dog that have passed on, that other people own.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #19
Belindanan

Have the ghost dogs ever tried to bite you?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #20
Aswdwdfg

Nope

Reply to Thread New Thread