LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
unlomarma

Default Just a question.
Sometimes I read if pit bull attacks where a pit bull comes out of nowhere, attacks for no reason, then takes off. I guess my question iss if a dig is going to attack, is it just going to come up and attack or will it signal his intent by a lot of snarling and growling? I know it's stupid.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Intockatt

A dog will always show a sign of attacking. They never attack without warning. Have you looked into dog body language books? They might benefit you some.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
freevideoandoicsI

Snarling and growling are not the only signs of an imminent "attack." Dogs use body language and a variety of warning signs to let someone know the dog is going to make a move - the problem is that humans don't recognize these signs, so they think the dog did something "without warning". For some reason, humans don't understand that dogs have their own "language" that doesn't exactly translate to them saying outloud, "Hey, knock it off or I'll bite you!"

Old 12-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
ElegeExcest

There are always signs before an attack, be it barking and growling or a slight pinning of the ears etc. there are a lot of good websites and books on bodylanguage for dogs. However not all dogs are the same or will follow what the books and sites say. It's up to you to know your dogs and always be aware of what their body is saying.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
unlomarma

I met a Rottweiler today who came charging at me. I was a little nervous but I could tell she was friendly though. Reminded me of star. It just made me think of would an attacking dog just run up to you and attack

Old 12-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
freevideoandoicsI

It all depends on the situation. It doesn't sound like you were introduced properly to this Rottweiler, if she was allowed to charge at youIhe intention to introduce you to the dog. 9 times out of 10 it's owner failure that results in dog attacks!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
MwhwF6bp

a dog will always show a sign of attacking. They never attack without warning. Have you looked into dog body language books? They might benefit you some.
thats fkin bullshit dude!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
CaseyFronczekHomie

Snarling and growling are not the only signs of an imminent "attack." Dogs use body language and a variety of warning signs to let someone know the dog is going to make a move - the problem is that humans don't recognize these signs, so they think the dog did something "without warning". For some reason, humans don't understand that dogs have their own "language" that doesn't exactly translate to them saying outloud, "Hey, knock it off or I'll bite you!"
^^^This. When people say "attacked without warning", they mean, "I wasn't paying attention".

I met a Rottweiler today who came charging at me. I was a little nervous but I could tell she was friendly though. Reminded me of star. It just made me think of would an attacking dog just run up to you and attack
Uh what were you doing when it charged you? My Rottie tends to charge the fence when strange people come up to it, but you usually hear him growling and barking before you see him.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 AM   #9
CarmenSanches

thats fkin bullshit dude!
Nah, every unprovoked attack, if looked at by a person who knows what to look for has definite signs of the dog going to bite. It could be something big, like snarling or a bark, or it could be something as subtle as the way their eyes move, but there is ALWAYS a sign

Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #10
zttrftwsq

Some dogs act so quickly that the only sign anyone will see is teeth. Don't confuse the OP into thinking a dog is gonna sit out there givin him all sorts of warning signs. A coward dog gives a lot of signs; a dog who means business won't give you much time to think about what that eye motion, or a head wrinkle, or a stiff tail meant. While it won't hurt to learn about the body language, not all dogs follow the rules and some things, like a wagging tail, won't always mean what you expect. if you got reason to be worried, go to the Depot, buy a 2 foot steal pipe and carry it with you.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #11
freevideoandoicsI

^^^This. When people say "attacked without warning", they mean, "I wasn't paying attention".

Can I have this in a bumper sticker, please? LOL Perfect!

Nah, every unprovoked attack, if looked at by a person who knows what to look for has definite signs of the dog going to bite. It could be something big, like snarling or a bark, or it could be something as subtle as the way their eyes move, but there is ALWAYS a sign

I would like to point out that this applies to mentally sound dogs only. I've met a few unsound dogs who literally wouldn't flinch between low, soft tail wags and enjoying pets to lunging at you like you're on the menu!

Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
CarmenSanches

Some dogs act so quickly that the only sign anyone will see is teeth. Don't confuse the OP into thinking a dog is gonna sit out there givin him all sorts of warning signs. A coward dog gives a lot of signs; a dog who means business won't give you much time to think about what that eye motion, or a head wrinkle, or a stiff tail meant. While it won't hurt to learn about the body language, not all dogs follow the rules and some things, like a wagging tail, won't always mean what you expect. if you got reason to be worried, go to the Depot, buy a 2 foot steal pipe and carry it with you.
I know the guy, I get what he was asking and wasnt commenting on the main question just commenting on the post I cited.

I would like to point out that this applies to mentally sound dogs only. I've met a few unsound dogs who literally wouldn't flinch between low, soft tail wags and enjoying pets to lunging at you like you're on the menu!
This is true, having been bitten in the face before, zero to chew your face off is quite possible with little to no warning.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:09 AM   #13
asharbiq

+1 I had an inbred Dalmatian which bit in an eye blink.

I am of the if in doubt get the f@#k out school of thought.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #14
unlomarma

She saw me. And ran to me. She's a year old pup. I meant charging like charging wanting to greet me. I guess charging was the wrong word, but it was just her running up to me that made me think of this question. I could tell she wasn't exercised enough though.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #15
PriniMai

My Mastiff will track with his eyes and is very still, just for a hot second. This is when I get him to refocus and break his concentration. I know from experience with him that he is up to no good.(he has never attacked a human but he does have DA). I am always on guard reading his body language because he is quick when he wants to be even at 120lbs. It is easier to read body language when it is your own dog compared to a unfamiliar dog. Signs can be very suttle, a wagging tail doesn't necessarily that mean it is friendly.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #16
CarmenSanches

Yes, I know from experience Mastiffs can be faster than you think! Love them though! Never try and break into your own house when you have one though! Lol

I second the tail wagging, Bear wags his tail when he see's dogs he wants to rag doll. Idk most dogs give a look or something before they are going to bite, and just my experience but when a dog is charging, I can usually tell if its going to stop, or if I should get the fuck ready to beat it.
But thats going towards the dogs that are stableish, those wired wrong dogs just bite and then show signs.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
freevideoandoicsI

A happy tail wag is just that - a happy tail wag. A dog can certainly be happy while trying to kill you or another creature! LOL

Old 12-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #18
CarmenSanches

A happy tail wag is just that - a happy tail wag. A dog can certainly be happy while trying to kill you or another creature! LOL
Point. Very good point. Bear does get very happy when idiots try and let him say hi to their poms and chi's lol

Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
freevideoandoicsI

Point. Very good point. Bear does get very happy when idiots try and let him say hi to their poms and chi's lol

I've had this conversation with people...

Them: "Can my dog say hi to yours?"
Me: "Sorry, no... my dog isn't good with other dogs"
Them: "Oh come on! But their tail is wagging!"
Me: "Because they're excited you brought snacks!" *looks pointedly at their small, fluffy dog*
Them: O.O

Sometimes, I can't help it. LOL

Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #20
CarmenSanches

Same thing with this idiot Pom owner. The fat lady waddled into the rocks next to where I was going to walk, both little Poms on flexis, of course!
Well I start making a wide half circle around her and her dogs, and she like makes a beeline right to, she has tried this once before.

Hi's are exchanged as I am trying to check the mail and she just keeps walking up. Can I pet your dog crap, uhm no you cant because he will grab your dogs if you get to close.

Oh but he is sitting being such a good boy, are you sure?

Uhm yes bitch I am sure. I didnt call her a bitch but I wanted to. I told her, as I said before, he wants to grab your dogs and shake them if they get to close, so please stay away from him.

Then she has the nerve to scoff and get pissy at me?? Really, you would really be pissed when he shook your precious fluff ball to death right in front of you because you felt the need to walk your dogs up to him after I have told her TWICE to keep her dogs away from him.

Some people in this complex I swear just want to see their dog be attacked. Its like they flip the words and "stay away" means "come closer" and "shake to death" means "play like little puppies"

Reply to Thread New Thread