LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
Logaleta

Default product review/help?
I needed to buy a leash and new collar for Leon, just something to last until after the holidays and I buy my Ella and Stillwater choices!

Here's what I got 'em...
http://www.petland.ca/dog/dog-collars-leads-and-leashes/double-ply-nylon-collar-1-width.html
That in green and I think the one I got is 1.25inch. [in store it was only $9!]

and this...
in 6ft and in yellow w/black flecks.
http://www.treasuredpetcreations.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38_58&produ cts_id=445&zenid=6893668a803526863b008a772629454c

and has anyone ever used/bought a ROGZ Special Agent collar? Or their lead that is really short for control... it's like 6-10inches long at the most?
The collars are 2in wide i think and they are the clip on kind instead of the belt buckle but they are the heaviest duty snap buckle and petstore collar I've ever seen/felt. I was in Petland stepping on it and pulling as hard as I could for at least a good 40 minutes on and off while I shopped and it held up fine... other similar collars from other brands I could pull apart easily. The collars looked legit. I didn't get one because they are $27.00 and that's going towards my Stillwater/Ella's stuff!

The green collar looks really nice on him, I just hope it isn't too crappy! So I'm really excited for the stillwater one I'm going to order in green!

As far as the Softline Lead that's a company from back home so I am sort of familiar with the brand in the horse world... has anyone ever used a lead like that... no collar just a slip it on martingale? I think I'm gonna put a bullsnap so I can clip it onto his collar for backup if it is crap and breaks.
I wanna order a rope lead from Ella's but the website is a li'l confusing for lead ordering??

I just got this for the meantime, incase we take him to BC and go hiking because it'll give him a li'l more freedom, and I didn't have a leash for him, AND all the other leashes were purely crap at Petland.

[don't judge... I NEVER shop there, but i can't afford all my online or local goodies right now until after the holidays! :/]

Anyways if you have any experience with this stuff, especially Softline/Rogz that'd be awesome!

Old 11-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Viafdrear

I have a coastal collar that i use on Kahne when he is swimming because it was cheap and seem sturdy it has done fine so far. I thought I had bought " the heaviest duty snap buckle " for kahne when he was younger he was on a tie out when we where camping wanted to chase something and ran to the end of the line it broke and kahne was free I will never use another snap buckle collar ever again.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
JulietOreira

plastic anything is crap IMO and id def never trust it on my dogs, specially when ive seen metal shit fail.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #4
Logaleta

Well this collar wasn't cheap at least to me it isn't, $30 for a collar seems pricey @ a place like petland but I hear ya just figured I'd ask about em. They were super thick and tight so I wasn't sure. But def woulnt wanna risk it!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Caluabdum

Head to another store and get Coastal products if you can find them or order online from Petco or Petsmart. They are not expensive and generally pretty decent until the dog is grown enough to justify spending the money on leather Stillwaters. Course, the Stillwater nylon collars are very inexpensive and could be paired with a nylon coastal leash while you wait for a dog to grow up enough to be it's adult size for a nice leather collar or while you save up for it.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
JulietOreira

Well this collar wasn't cheap at least to me it isn't, $30 for a collar seems pricey @ a place like petland but I hear ya just figured I'd ask about em. They were super thick and tight so I wasn't sure. But def woulnt wanna risk it!
price doesnt = quality. specially with plastic. (hell also, its petland. screw those people.) go pick up a piece of plastic and force it in an unnatural way a few times, youll start to notice the strength of it decrease rapidly the more its forced/banged on/etc.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
tobia

I would not buy from petland either.

Coastal is good quality though. I still have the 1" wide D-end green nylon collar my BC we had when I was growing up wore. Actually my stepdad put it on his current BC when he bought him, but I somehow found that appalling and bought Will a zigzag Hamilton collar and stowed Buddy's old collar safely in a drawer in my room. I'm actually replacing Will's current collar this Christmas because the nylon is filthy and I'm afraid its going to rot out (he's an outdoor ranch dog). He's getting this in orange: http://www.dogsportgear.com/1-All-We...lars_p_94.html
Its biothane, so it can't rot or anything. Should last the rest of his life.

I mostly just use my Ella's Lead rope leads, but I love these biothane leads a lot too. So much softer than nylon or rope and zero maintenance compared to leather. I have a 10ft long line and after a jaunt I just wipe it off with a cleaning wipe before stowing it back in the gear bag.
http://www.dogsportgear.com/All-Weat...hes-_c_93.html

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

plastic anything is crap IMO and id def never trust it on my dogs, specially when ive seen metal shit fail.
Agreed. I would never trust anything plastic. I've seen metal shit fail too.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Logaleta

I didn't see any costal gear, mind you the petand i have access to is a small one. They didn't have any big dog gear at all.Leon is full grown, he's 2yr and some months. So I'm def. ready to buy him stuff off Ella/Stillwater just waiting til after the holidays because what I buy him depends on what I have left after all my christmas shopping for the family For sure a collar from each place, but I'm loving the Ella's leads.How do you order those though, do you just email them [EllasLead] the custom lead you want??The lead I got him is a nice 6ft one that is perfect for giving him a li'l freedom on our hikes, but the material is so bright it's gonna get SO dirty. Plus I don't think I like the slip type leads at all I've realized with this one... it looks nice but it's just not my thing.I like the DogSportsGear stuff too! Not bad pricing either. Haha, my bookmark list of dog gear sites keep growing almost daily from PBC recommendations and reviews.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
JulietOreira

for 30 bucks you could get alot better from stillwater, and you wouldnt be supporting a stupid ass store like petland. better yet, hold out and just go get a collar at walmart.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
fotodemujerahldesnugdo

for 30 bucks you could get alot better from stillwater, and you wouldnt be supporting a stupid ass store like petland. better yet, hold out and just go get a collar at walmart.
this exactly >.< you coulda gotten a stillwater nylon collar and a ella's lead lead for that much

Old 12-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #11
Zjohkrbi

i dont USE PLASTIC SNAPS. Even the biiig ones.. I just dont trust them.

I cant believe that nylon slip lead only goes down to 19" for neck wise. U'd think it'd at least go to 17".

The green one you got should hold up just fine.

When KK is outside in her spot, I use the 2" 4ply Seatbelt Stillwater collar - 12$ (Welded Dee rings, heavy duty errythang), Tho it IS a bit stiff on her. If I take her out She normally has her Leather Stillwater- 28$ or her 1.5" 3ply Nylon Stillwater-10$.

I mean 10$ for a HEAVY DUTY COLLAR. Be silly to buy 9$ crap collars from the store, that wont least long. Annnnd not to mention, his shipping prices are great!

IF i were you.I'd return all of your stuff. Order a 1.5" Stillwater Nylon collar, and cont to use what you've been using until you can get one of Ellas leashes. I use a KONG leash from petsmart. Its pretty heavy duty. I had a gift certif. cuz I wouldve never have paid the price they were asking for it. LOL. But it IS pretty nice!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #12
Logaleta

I didn't pay $30 for anything. The Rogz were $30 collars, but I didn't buy one just say them and thought they looked nice... maybe if I get one it'll be a tag collar [just for hanging the address tag, license tag, rabies tag on]I paid $9 for the collar and $9 for the lead... $18 woulda got me just the collar I want from Stillwater. $18 is cheap for both things. To return it I would have to drive a 4hr round trip to the small city in which it was bought lol... by the time I did that I'd have spend $25 in gas for an $18 refund lol.I didn't realize Stillwater's collars where so cheap, I don't much like the seatbelt collars. The one I want is $14 plus shipping. The one from Ella's is $80 plus shipping and whatever lead I choose if I can get one at the same time. So all in all, $18 for the collar and 6ft softline I got was a good deal. I'm not too worried about the quality of the SoftLine lead because I'm familiar with their line of horse leads and etc... the collar I'm hoping is good enough until Jan. My main question was concerning Rogz products and if anyone used them. I have never bought snap on collars for any of my dogs big or small and never will after hearing you guys say you've seen metal break... yikes! I have yet to experience that, hopefully I never do!I usually don't support ANY big corps like Petland, Petsmart, Walmart etc [My guilty pleasure is when it comes to shoes and clothes for myself from Target though] I have always bought from locally owned petstores and online from family owned small businesses. But I needed a lead and collar asap while I wait to see how much I have to spend after Xmas shopping is done.Kamikaze... They come in all different size variants, like 8-12in, 13-17in, 18-22in etc. But I'm pretty sure mine gets a lot smaller than 19in because Leon's neck is pretty slim and I can make it a lot tighter than his neck.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

GRRRR, sorry idk why my paragraphs didn't work. I'm on my laptop on Safari like I ALWAYS am but for some reason it stopped doing paragraphs today :/

Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #13
cholleyhomeob

This is why I hit up Ella's Lead just before the holidays when they do a sale. I got Lucy a burgundy and gold Ophelia Pt 3 collar, and Taz got a black and gold Diamond dogs collar. Altogether, it was $75, then I got 20% off, so with shipping it came to $65-something.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #14
Logaleta

WHAT! Sale!? Dangit I am new to Ella's Lead stuff so I must have missed the sale :/

Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #15
cholleyhomeob

It was a couple of weeks ago. Always worth it to sign up for their email list, and like them on FB so you can sign up for their weekly give away.

Reply to Thread New Thread