LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Kolovorotkes

Default WOOHOO, now which microchip do I get?
I called AC to see if I can get the 2012 licenses yet because Rita literally broke hers off and it has been unreadable for a few months now, anyways. I asked again if the city has gotten a scanner and they just got one!! Woohoo! So, now I am going to get the dogs chipped. But which company?

I know Home Again is one and the vet I go to does their chip for $65 with lifetime membership. The local HS does Home Again for $35, but that just covers the chip and registration.

I know there are other chip companies out there. So, who did you chip through and why? Have you had any problems with the chip moving or not working?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
BamSaitinypap

I dont know about there - but here our AC/HS scanners only read 2 company's.. so we went with one they could read.. because if they get picked up/dropped off anywhere near here - its at the HS.. so we made sure it was one they could read!!

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

The one we went with was 24petwatch.. we paid $20 each dog (but got a discount for the amount of dogs we took in..) it's usually $50 each here. but then again, only 2 vets do it locally here.. so it was either $50 a dog at our vet or $65 at the other vet..

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

I guess our shelters scanners could actually read them all - but maybe they just check those 2? Not sure how it works.. just that they said in order for them to read it.. it would either be 24petwatch or home again.. but I know all vets locally use 24petwatch.. so thats the one we went with..

Old 08-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
veizKinquiz

Dixie has a 24PetWatch microchip and it works wonderfully. If you ever have to change the information, it's free. I never had to pay for her microchip as it came with her adoption, not sure how much they will charge you at the humane society. I never had any problems with her being chipped.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
heilyprollecyspor

Unless you care about the "extra" stuff that Home Again provides, I'd go with the HS since it's cheaper. It doesn't cost anything to have them keep your info in a database. The membership for HA is only for their extras.

All of my animals are registered at 24hrPetWatch as that is what the humane society here uses and it's where I got them chipped at.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
kavaTeexy

Homeagain. I got the hookup and do all my microchips myself. Even bought the scanner so I mad sure I got the right number

Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
WebDocMan

Nick & Rosie have Avid chips, I think Frankie has 24hrpetwatch.
I know our island shelter and another fairly local shelter can scan for pretty much any chip. I've had both Nick & Rosie scanned when I lost their numbers in a move.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #7
Kolovorotkes

I now have a 3rd option. A local rescue is hosting a low cost clinic and doing chips for $20. I sent an email asking what company the chips are through and the response said Bayer. I googled Bayer microchip and got this:

ResQ® Pet Identification System

The resQ® pet identification system is a safe and convenient ISO-compliant microchip system designed to help reunite lost pets with their owners.ResQ is the first ISO-compliant microchip system for companion animals available in the United States. It utilizes technology recommended by most major pet welfare organizations including the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)

Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Zjohkrbi

Homeagain. I got the hookup and do all my microchips myself. Even bought the scanner so I mad sure I got the right number
WOW, to go n buy all that, you must be pumpin something out!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
tobia

Lily has Avid and Scout has 24Pet Watch.

Reply to Thread New Thread