LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Turbo-ip

Default Sick of the stereotypes
“They [pit bull owners] have their reasons for owning this breed. Either they are criminals, using the dogs to protect their club house or their grow-op, or they fight them, or they are not very bright. Educated people are not attracted to pit bulls.” – Animal Advocates Society of B.C.

This is so crazy to think that there are stupid people like this out in the world commenting on the most amazing breed of dog that I have ever owned. I have been trying to find someone to watch my little guy while I fly home for Christmas and no one will even take a second look at him just because he's a pit mix. I know this is a dumb question but, are people really this ignorant?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
xT0U3UGh

here in England i find that older people say 65+ seem to love and respect bull n terriers, it"s the younger generations who seem brainwashed by the tv and media that can be bigots and stand offish ....

Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Irrampbroow

This kind of got me haha.. I myself pretty smart being that next year I will be transferring to ucla on a full ride.. And I'm going to school to be a surgeon but at the same time I have owned multiple bully breeds that they would consider on that list such as apbt and ambully. So it makes me laugh knowing that I'm more than likely smarter than 9 out of 10 who make those comments.( even if my typing says different thanks to my lovely iPad lol)

Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
ARKLqAZ6

It's all thanks to the media. This is how pit bull owners are portrayed. And so people who have never even met a pit bull owner automatically believe it to be true. And sadly, a very good portion of pit bull owners live up to this stereotype. And as long as they're the ones getting all the (negative) attention, that's all people are going to see pit bull owners as. It's because it's those owners who are always on the news, because they abuse their dogs, fight their dogs on the streets, their dogs get loose and attack animals or people... the good owners are stuck in their shadows.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
Hlennisal

Wow, this was in BC?
In Kelowna I know the pitbull breeds are loved.
At least in my circle of people I know they are ! All the people I know there respect the dogs for the most part.
And I thought that quite a few of the ABDA sanctioned events for BC are held in Vancouver area!
Last time I looked there was no BSL in either city! Both are big cities too! You'd think if they felt so strongly they'd have pushed BSL into exsistence already... that's too bad really.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
XzBZB2UV

OMFG. That chick from Animal Advocates is a nut bar. They are basically the PETA of B.C.. They bloody disgust me! They've been at local BSL hearings in support of a ban. Pisses me right off! Where are you in B.C.? I board dogs although I'll already have nine here over the holidays, we could squeeze in another if your dog can crate and rotate and you're desperate! lol

Oh, and yes, people REALLY are that ignorant!

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Last time I looked there was no BSL in either city! Both are big cities too! You'd think if they felt so strongly they'd have pushed BSL into exsistence already... that's too bad really.
Oh, it's not for lack of trying. Animal Advocates totally supports a ban. And actually, Vancouver just DROPPED their long standing BSL, thanx to the out spoken animal control here who out right REFUSED to enforce the muzzle law. Almost everyone who works there has pit bulls and they, along with some other great folks, got Vancouver's BSL dropped! WOOT!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
wllsqyuipknczx

People just fear what they don't understand. I live in a family neighborhood. Mostly young families. There are so many pitbulls in this neighborhood. There are at least 5 others on my street alone that own at least one pit. People who believe the negative press about these dogs have never owned one or came into contact with one and if they had they wouldn't act like that. Ignorance is bliss to the ignorant ones but it is frickin annoying to the rest of the world.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Hlennisal

Wow Zoe that's awesome I didn't even know there was any BSL dropped at all, I thought they never had it.
It's almost better to hear that it got dropped, because that means there's a better chance they aren't going to re-inforce it any time soon. Phew!

I have been reading tons of reviews about the AAS of BC, almost all saying how they manipulate people trying to adopt pitbulls... saying "oh the owner is going to come up with the funds" or "the dog is too depressed to be adopted" etc then as soon as the time period is up according to bylaw they put the dog down and when people call back about it they just say "oh the dog is not up for adoption" no explanation. Horrible.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
OWDavid

I've been told repeatedly that I'm the exception but most "pit bull owners are uneducated/trashy/criminals"

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
XzBZB2UV

I'm tellin' ya.. the chick that runs it is messed in the head. Like seriously out to lunch, outside of her ''pit bull opinion''. She's going after Dogo's, Presa's, Corso's.. anything that isn't a fluffy mutt basically. Funny thing is to, they will totally flame other shelters for not adopting out or choosing to euth a dog for whatever reason, but it's all ok if they decide to do it for THEIR reasons. Sound familiar? Hello PETA wanna be's.

Actually, there's been quite a bit of BSL dropped around here. Surrey dropped their ten year long BSL and somewhere else... gaud.... was it Delta??? I can't recall, but it was pretty recent....

Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
drgshmcm

Surprisingly...where I live...I've never heard (to my face anyway)..and people seem unaware of the stereoytypes.

I've met lots of nice, normal people who come up to us, love on Veronica and tell me they have a pit bull at home (or a mastiff, or a rotti, or a yorkie...) I seem to blessed with living in a bubble where most people seem to just see dogs as dogs.

Makes me actually fearful of straying too far from home.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:13 AM   #12
surefireinvest

Surprisingly...where I live...I've never heard (to my face anyway)..and people seem unaware of the stereoytypes.

I've met lots of nice, normal people who come up to us, love on Veronica and tell me they have a pit bull at home (or a mastiff, or a rotti, or a yorkie...) I seem to blessed with living in a bubble where most people seem to just see dogs as dogs.

Makes me actually fearful of straying too far from home.
Yup, I have very few issues too but then again I do not look like the stereotypical foot shuffling, hoodie adorned, street corner lurker either. My dog is not cropped, she does not wear a huge spiked or otherwise collar & she does not tow me round on a length of chain. Other dog owners I meet will occasionally ask if the dog is "ok" but if they allow interaction, within seconds they are plying us with compliments & moaning about what idiots do to dogs. I guess it's a more positive look for the breed

Old 10-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
esenesesinas

yeah there are people that do think that way. it is because of people that think that way i make sure when i walk Peanut and i see my neighbors i am extra friendly to them and when i am anywhere in public with Peanut i talk to everyone and try to be an advocate of the breed in a positive light. to my face i have not heard any negative comments.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 AM   #14
Alexeryy

foot shuffling, hoodie adorned, street corner lurker either.

You mind if I borrow that for my resume?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:37 AM   #15
Kolovorotkes

My goal is to get banned from this nutballs FB...

Old 10-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #16
DonnyKong

It is getting old. But i'm willing to live with it, cause I have some of the best babies in the world.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #17
amusaasyday

I haven't heard anything like this to my face, but I'm sure people have thought it as I've inherited a couple of strange looks. And for their information, I'm a college student studying to be a vet, so I'm not an uneducated criminal.

I'm sorry a lot of you have to put up with this crap... can we just ban them instead of them ban our beloved dogs?

Reply to Thread New Thread