LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
BeaseHoca

Default Ear cropping HELP!!!
I need some info on ear cropping before I get it done. I want to know is it really safe because I've had a lot of people tell me it's not all that safe and very painful for the dog. Any info would be great thanks

Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
myspacepro

Well, it's a surgery, so there are risks. And yes, there is pain involved.. you're cutting part of the dogs ears off.

However, if done by a good vet at a young age (I wouldn't crop a dog that was older than 16wks.), the pain is pretty minimal. Sako was bouncing around the night after his surgery.

We have quite a few threads here on ear cropping, most are in the Health/Nutrition section, just do a search and you'll find quite a bit of info.!

Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
Alexeryy

If you don't feel it's safe,don't do it.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
ggdfgtdfffhfyj

It really wasn't that bad having my boy Onyx's ears cut, it didn't seem to bother him at all. Just keep an eye on them the first week for sure to make sure they don't scratch, it took about a month to be completely healed and to me was well worth getting it done.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
Rasklad

I personally wouldn't do it to my dog. If you are deadset on doing it, make sure you go to a reputable vet and ask for references. I've seen so many dogs come in to the shelters with botched ear croppings. Don't look for the best deal, look for a recommended vet experienced in croppings.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:20 AM   #6
Acciblyfluila

Yes there are grave risks!

IF you choose to do it, as the others have said, make sure you go to a reputable vet, AND make sure you see pictures of his/her work, ask any and all questions you can think of. Also be sure to educate yourself on the signs of infection, and check the pup every day.

I have a horrific ear cropping experience, so I am speaking from experience. Though, most people will tell you that what happened to my pup is not common at all!

Good luck, and whatever choice you make, be sure it is YOUR choice and make sure you do all the necessary research before hand.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:34 AM   #7
OWDavid

I was thinking of posting your thread Missy..

Yes, there are risks with any surgery, as Kady stated. But many do it without any issues. If you're not 100% sure you want to take the risk, don't have the surgery done. There's no going back once it's done.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
BeaseHoca

Well I really really want to get it done I personally am a fan of the ear cropping I've already found a good vet that has done a number of my friends pits ears and they all turned out amazing. The price actually isn't to bad either but I wouldn't want to go cheap and damage my dog so I'm going to go thru the same vet as my friends. I'm going with the short crop. And you guys already pretty much answered my question about how long to expect it to take to heal.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
PypeDeft

Make sure you properly care for them afterwards. In my expereince when done at a reputable vet 9/10 when they do not turn out right is because the owners do not properly care for them afterwards.

Get references like others have mentioned. Ask to see pics. Get a consult with the vet.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:37 AM   #10
Acciblyfluila

I was thinking of posting your thread Missy..

Yes, there are risks with any surgery, as Kady stated. But many do it without any issues. If you're not 100% sure you want to take the risk, don't have the surgery done. There's no going back once it's done.
I have it bookmarked! I will post it, just didn't want to overtake this thread. This thread is about my horrible experience with an ear cropping. My sweet Keela now has no ears.

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...up...Royally-(

Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
AdobebePhoto

It's a very safe procedure IF a) you have a vet that knows how to crop, and b) you know how to properly care for the dog after the crop is done.

So my advice would be to ask the vet if he has any pics of dogs he's done or references, and learn forehand what you will need to do to care for the dog after it's done. It's not rocket science, but there is some things you will need to know.

If the vet doesn't want to provide references, move on to another vet!!!!

Lizzy has one of the nicest crops I've ever seen IMO.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
DonnyKong

It's a very safe procedure IF a) you have a vet that knows how to crop, and b) you know how to properly care for the dog after the crop is done.

So my advice would be to ask the vet if he has any pics of dogs he's done or references, and learn forehand what you will need to do to care for the dog after it's done. It's not rocket science, but there is some things you will need to know.

If the vet doesn't want to provide references, move on to another vet!!!!

Lizzy has one of the nicest crops I've ever seen IMO.

I 2nd this. I just had my girls done. Ive never had a cropped dog, so I was super nervous. Ask everyone. I was going back to the vet over every little thing. It all is going good though. From someone who is doing it for the first time myself, the after care isnt hard. Just educate yourself. Here is my girl, right after surgery.........

And here she is with her first frame job.......

She hadn't shown any signs of pain. She just hates the cone.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
BeaseHoca

Alright then I think I'm going to follow thru and get it done in the next could weeks

Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
OWDavid

How old is your dog?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
Zjohkrbi

Well, it's a surgery, so there are risks. And yes, there is pain involved.. you're cutting part of the dogs ears off.

However, if done by a good vet at a young age (I wouldn't crop a dog that was older than 16wks.), the pain is pretty minimal. Sako was bouncing around the night after his surgery.

We have quite a few threads here on ear cropping, most are in the Health/Nutrition section, just do a search and you'll find quite a bit of info.!
I never really understood that. ?? Either way you're choppin off their ears, so the pain to me, would seem to be the same as say a 6month old pup. Ive heard a lot of ppl say that. so Im just curious.

I got my ears pierced super young, for some reason, I still remeber screaming my head off when they were done. Still hurt when I got them done when I was older, cept I didnt scream and bawl..lol.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
myspacepro

The cartilage isn't completely formed yet when they're younger, therefore, less pain. Plus it's pretty well known that pups bounce back from surgery MUCH quicker than adults. Like when I had my foster puppies neutered at 16wks., they recovered so much faster than when I had Wilson neutered at 8 months old. Smaller incisions, less anesthesia, all plays a factor.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #17
Narcodran

How old is your pup? The recommended age cut off is 16 weeks.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
Zjohkrbi

Make sure you ask your vets tons of questions and do everything you are told.. or you could end up with this.....
http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...ghlight=messed.

Idk the odds, of your dogs ears 'falling off' or some crazy shit happening to them that something like that ^ happens.. Im sure youre more likey to get a jacke dup lookin un even crop before ^ that happens

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

The cartilage isn't completely formed yet when they're younger, therefore, less pain. Plus it's pretty well known that pups bounce back from surgery MUCH quicker than adults. Like when I had my foster puppies neutered at 16wks., they recovered so much faster than when I had Wilson neutered at 8 months old. Smaller incisions, less anesthesia, all plays a factor.
Makes sense.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #19
Acciblyfluila

Make sure you ask your vets tons of questions and do everything you are told.. or you could end up with this.....
http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...ghlight=messed.

Idk the odds, of your dogs ears 'falling off' or some crazy shit happening to them that something like that ^ happens.. Im sure youre more likey to get a jacke dup lookin un even crop before ^ that happens

Even after doing everything you should, something can still go wrong. Like with my pup, and thanks, but I already posted my thread.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #20
Kolovorotkes

I have never had a cropped dog, but from what I have heard cropping is more of an art form than another type of surgery would be. Make sure the vet you choose is talented and make sure to ask for references and photo's of how previous crops the vet did turned out.

Also, make sure you research aftercare independently and when you speak to the vet ask questions. If what the vet says seems off to you, find another vet!

Reply to Thread New Thread