LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
beenBinybelia

Default Would you put a dog down for being stupid?
I've posted before about my shepherd x not knowing how to communicate with other dogs and gets himself hurt.
Example: He will bug and bug Izzy until she snaps at him and then he will bark non stop at hurt and start licking her mouth and will be all in her face even after she gives him warning.

He's not only stupid with dogs he is with us too, he will come and stand on top of us and if you tell him to move he will stand there. If you try to push him off of you he will just drop and lay down and not know what to do. You can show him what he did wrong and tell him no 100 times (different situations) and he will go right back to doing it right in front of you.

It's like he's just missing part of his brain, he has no common sense and doesn't know how to function properly.

My room mate said that his relatives had a dog like this and they considered putting him down but they found a rehab place in Newfoundland where they take in dogs like that on a farm where they can just run and be stupid and not have to worry about functioning in a house setting.

What would you do if you had a seriously stupid dog who couldnt grasp real life situations?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
lierro

Gotta love 'em

Seriously reminds me of a sailor I served with in the Navy. Dude couldn't even put his t-shirt on right side out for a formal inspection in dress blues. The guy couldn't help it ... he just had no grasp of real life situations ... couldn't handle money ... needed constant instruction on being squared away and seemed to never learn much of anything in the manner in which to improve his circumstance. I thought many times of sending this kid home and had the where with all to do so. He was constantly screwing up in one way or another. Anytime big wigs came around, we hid him LOL.

But the guy could be counted on to work his a55 off for me, was always willing to bear a hand for others in need and could fix equipment like no body's business or at least stick with it until he figured out how to fix it.

Sometimes ya gotta look for the silver lining I guess. That dog may surprise you someday.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
veizKinquiz

Dogs aren't perfect, neither are we. I have a stupid dog, but wouldn't put him down because he isn't all there and he enjoys life.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Ervins Dervish

How old is he? My cousin and grandmother used to breed and show Boxers. They always said that dogs are just plain stupid til they are about 2 and then they get some sense,lol.

Rita is dumb as a box, but I love her because she loves us with total abandon. Whatever nature took from her in health and brain power, it gave her in heart. So, I keep her and remind myself every time she acts completely retarded that she has a good heart and provides us with lots of laughs,too.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
beenBinybelia

He is only a baby still he will be a year next month.
I've had him since the day he was born and he's been to training class plus we worked with him on basic commands since he was 5 weeks old. I wanted a smart dog and wanted to start training super young but he just seems to have a few screws loose.
Come to think of it his mom wasn't too bright either, very slow and had no real personality.
She would just lay around or be aggressive to Izzy, she never played with her puppies just did her job of feeding and cleaning them.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
Muhabsssa

My room mate said that his relatives had a dog like this and they considered putting him down but they found a rehab place in Newfoundland where they take in dogs like that on a farm where they can just run and be stupid and not have to worry about functioning in a house setting.
This made me giggle!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
desmond001

I have a retarded dog, well two of them actually. But the one that lives with me is currently fighting with a bush...barking, biting and pawing a 6 inch twig in the ground.....because it scared her. Oh and it's a Lab mutt thing...which might explain something.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
JEWELMARGY

How old is he? My cousin and grandmother used to breed and show Boxers. They always said that dogs are just plain stupid til they are about 2 and then they get some sense,lol.
Some sense. The boxers we had when I was a kid were big, goofy doofs until they were 10.

I'd definitely put a dog that was stupid out on a chain spot. But I mean TRULY stupid.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
hiedeemom

I wouldn't put a dog down for stupidity unless it was a hazard to itself or others, or its quality of life was affected... instead, I would just pat its head and say, "it's okay, brains aren't everything" LOL

Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
loyalgagora

I haven't read anything but the original post...

My boyfriend's parents black lab, Ace, is very....ditsy. They thought he was downright stupid and couldn't do anything. Well, I came there in one day and taught him sit, lay down, stand, shake hands, and up (I make him stand on his hind legs) all in one day. While he may be trick smart (if you actually sit there and try to teach him with praise, where as they were trying to train him by yelling at him...) he's stupid in all other areas. He does the same thing when you push him off of you, he just lays there not knowing what to do. He runs into things...they find it a constant joke that he will lick up your spit if you spit on the floor...(EW)...just stuff like that. But he's a very sweet and loyal dog and I would hurt them if they ever even considered putting him down.

But, I second what Teal said. If the stupidity was so bad to where the dog was at danger from it, and so were other animals and people around him, I would think that he would need to be put down.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
hiedeemom

Barbara, my Ruger is sort of like that... he is trick/command smart, but his common sense is a little lacking LOL If he had to actually think for himself, he'd just sit there and look confused... he's the type of dog that NEEDS to be given something to do, or else he won't do anything at all lol (AND he runs into things haha)

Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
loyalgagora

Ace is like that. Ruger is so cute though. Ace gets annoying sometimes. He jumps on you and is just so..."OH MY GAWD YOU'RE HERE, TOUCH ME, PET ME, KICK ME, LOVE ME RIGHT NOWWWWW GIVE ME ATTTENTION OR I'LL DIIIIEEEE" and then he falls on the floor, lol.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
Narcodran

I have a retarded dog, well two of them actually. But the one that lives with me is currently fighting with a bush...barking, biting and pawing a 6 inch twig in the ground.....because it scared her. Oh and it's a Lab mutt thing...which might explain something.
That sounds exactly like Zoey... that dog is dumber than a brick... seriously stupid. She gets on my last nerve sometimes, but I would never consider putting her down over it.... nor would I rehome her. The dog is so stupid, no other human would allow her to live till dark if I rehomed her. I'm with JoeBingo on this one.... sometimes, you just have to look past their stupidity and pray that one day, they will do something that will make you proud. I was super excited when I managed to teach Zoey to sit.... granted her butt barely touches the ground before she bounces up for a biscuit, but at least she sat for a millisecond. This dog could save your family from a fire or burglar one day, you never know. One day, he might just make up for all the stupidness and be worthy of all the love you have given him, and if not, at least he will have taught you patience and kindness for those that aren't quite the sharpest tool in the shed.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
hiedeemom

Ace is like that. Ruger is so cute though. Ace gets annoying sometimes. He jumps on you and is just so..."OH MY GAWD YOU'RE HERE, TOUCH ME, PET ME, KICK ME, LOVE ME RIGHT NOWWWWW GIVE ME ATTTENTION OR I'LL DIIIIEEEE" and then he falls on the floor, lol.

Ruger just stares at you... "Hi. Hi, I'm Ruger. Hi, I'm Ruger and you're human and I love you. Pet me? Throw the ball? BALL?!!?! Did someone say BALL?!?1? Oh, I said ball. THERE IT WAS AGAIN!! SOMEONE SAID BALL!!... Oh, it was me again. *blinks*... Hi. Hi, I'm Ruger."

Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
loyalgagora

Honestly I love dogs like that. I just want to hug them.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
leangarance

No, I'd deal with it. I'd say if you can't deal with it, give the dog to someone who can.
Most of the time when a dog acts like that it's a learned behavior.

My old Lab mix, Jade, can be dumb as a doorknob. The thing is.... she KNOWS what you want her to do/not do. She's very intelligent when she chooses to be. It's like she has selective idiocy or something, I swear. Given it could be a learned behavior, but it doesn't seem to be one. She has a lot of neurotic behaviors..... I mean, I unconditionally love her and she's a great dog, but there's got to be a screw loose up there or something!

Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
hiedeemom

Honestly I love dogs like that. I just want to hug them.

I think that's why Ruger does it. Truly, I think he's smarter than that... but he plays dumb so people will love him even more LOL He's an attention slut!

Old 11-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #18
beenBinybelia

Ruger just stares at you... "Hi. Hi, I'm Ruger. Hi, I'm Ruger and you're human and I love you. Pet me? Throw the ball? BALL?!!?! Did someone say BALL?!?1? Oh, I said ball. THERE IT WAS AGAIN!! SOMEONE SAID BALL!!... Oh, it was me again. *blinks*... Hi. Hi, I'm Ruger."
Hahha I laughed my ass off, this is totally him!!
Maybe he is mixed with a stupid hyper Lab that could make sense as to why I cant stand him.
He's also pretty trick smart, he learns quick if it's something like that but he just cant grasp simple life things.

I was just sitting thinking if it was fair to keep him alive in this life but he's probably too stupid he just loves life.
You can beat the shit out of this dog and 10 minutes later he'd be licking your face again (not that I do that but thats the type of dog he is).

Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #19
leangarance

You can beat the shit out of this dog and 10 minutes later he'd be licking your face again (not that I do that but thats the type of dog he is).
That's not stupid, that's just what a dog does.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #20
halyshitzob

I wouldn't put a dog down for being stupid, but I would probably threaten to on a regular basis. I have a few stupid dogs.

For example, the back door was open, but the wind blew it to, but didn't shut it. Riddick got his nose/head in the door and stood there and whined and barked for almost 30 minutes until I couldn't take it and went and pushed the door. All he had to do was walk in, but the door wasn't open wide enough for him and God forbid he have to push it open.

Jack is just plain stupid and suicidal. He he no survival instincts at all. I can not even get into how stupid Jack is. But he amuses me for now.

Casper is perfect intelligence for me. He has great survival instincts, he can figure out to open doors/gates. He got a good nose and can back track and never gets lost. He knows some commands, but not really into tricks. Just has good old fashion common sense. If I do this, I get this. But he isn't like a Border Collie or something that constantly needs to do something to learn something etc. He also understands my moods since I tend to be very moody and he knows when to come up and love on me and went to leave me the hell a lone. Some dogs unfortunately can not learn that and those are the dogs I have the biggest issue with.

Reply to Thread New Thread