LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
chelviweeme

Default If you had $1000 to donate....
What dog-related (pit or non pit) organization would you donate to?? and why?? Some of you may know, but I am a photographer and I recently held my own fundraising event. I called it "Pics for Pits" and gave out mini photo sessions at a discounted rate, all proceeds being donated. Anyways, I raised about $1000 and I was going to just donate to the SPCA, but I figured I would ask yalls opinions first... Maybe there is a more-deserving NFP organization that y'all could recommend. Any advice/suggestions will be appreciated. Please don't forget to explain WHY you would choose the suggested organization. Thanks guys!

Old 10-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
MannyLopez

I don't know, but that's darn cool !!! Nice

Old 10-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
U5pz6B71

If it was me, I'd donate it to the legal fund for fighting the Ontario ban. Why. Because those guys are game as hell and haven't given up the fight in six bloody years. Plus, the ban is all sorts of wrong....

Old 10-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Krruqgwt

Hearts united for animals or HUA. They are a well run sanctuary that work against waaay fucked up puppy mills. They also deal with sick and injured dogs. I will pull up a web site.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
tactWeiccaf

Ive honestly never looked into any. Im going to look into a few now though since my curiosity has been piqued.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
Enliseell

Gentle Souls Pitbull Rescue out of Little Rock, Arkansas! Most rescues will only help when/if they have the funds, or when/if they can get their cash back from the dog (by adopting the dog out).. Atleast thats how it is here.. Gentle Souls Pitbull Rescue is a single lady who set out to make a difference.. and she has! We went to her for help.. told her this is what it was going to cost to save this pup, this is what we have.. offered to forfeit him if it meant helping him.. instead she called everyone she knew, did everything she could.. got enough money raised for what we did not have, plus enough money to make sure he had a good start to life.. after he was better, she told us if we wanted to keep him, she'd rather him with someone who cared like we did than someone else. (when we went to her for help, he was not our dog.. he was a an abused pup who got dumped on us).. There was no way I could have raised that kind of money in the few hours he had to get the help.. That rescue may not be able to save all the pitbulls in arkansas, but by saving the few she does, she does wonders.. (even though she is a pitbull rescue, she will help other breeds and cats, but her passion is the bully breeds).. She truly is an amazing woman and if I had $10 or $100,000, I would donate it all to her!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
BruceCroucshs

I'd probably donate to a local foster-only shelter that sends all their adoption money back to the animals. They don't have a lease to pay as they don't have a building at all. It's done out of my friend's home. She (the shelter) pays for the food, toys, vet visits for all the fosters, provided they are put in a home that will foster for the undetermined amount of time. But the foster homes don't pay for any of the basics for the dogs.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Rellshare

If I had money to donate locally, I'd donate to http://www.dearbornanimals.org/education/advocacy/recycl-a-bullz/

T
he shelter used to euth all bully breeds and then the "Friends For" group went to work. Now they adopt out bully breeds, require that new owners take a training class and give a large discount for it, plus they do the $20 Pit Bull spay/neuter program in partnership with a local vet.

National rescue or shelter programs I am not so familiar with.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
SallyIsNice5

I would donate to
The National Canine Cancer Foundation
I have lost 2 dogs to cancer...and thinking of how many we lost just in the last few months on here that is totally where I would put my money

Old 10-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Aeaefee

I'd donate to our local shelter. They basically get NO money from the county. They only get money from the county to pay for a dog to stay ONE day, and get nothing for cats. And they are very Pit Bull friendly.
This was their post on FB today.
"Today is PIT BULL AWARENESS DAY! Our shelter is proud to say we are all-breed friendly. We not only place Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes; we transfer them in from other shelters. Please help us celebrate by sharing photos of your Pit Bull, especially if they came from CASA!"

Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #11
SaraKonradtt

I've donated to Badrap (when I lived in Oakland) I think they do some great stuff. I've also donated to PBRC a few times, and added an extra donation to my adoption fee when i adopted Luigi (i bet I volentarily paid more from him than the jackass that bought him from a breeder and then was too broke to pay his vet bills, so surrendered him when he needed medical care) I think Zoe's got a great point though that helping fund fighting BSL is always a great way to spend donations.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

I'd donate to our local shelter. They basically get NO money from the county. They only get money from the county to pay for a dog to stay ONE day, and get nothing for cats. And they are very Pit Bull friendly.
This was their post on FB today.
"Today is PIT BULL AWARENESS DAY! Our shelter is proud to say we are all-breed friendly. We not only place Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes; we transfer them in from other shelters. Please help us celebrate by sharing photos of your Pit Bull, especially if they came from CASA!"
Sounds like a GREAT shelter to help out!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
@Aerodyno@

I would never donate any money to any organization. If i had a 1000 dollars to spend on donations, i would personally buy items that are needed are hand them that, but never the money itself.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
BruceCroucshs

I would never donate any money to any organization. If i had a 1000 dollars to spend on donations, i would personally buy items that are needed are hand them that, but never the money itself.
That's a great thing to do so you know exactly what the money was used for. I like this.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Beerinkol

I am the same way, and on top of that, I would give to a lot of people-based orgs before I'd give to animal-based orgs... as much as I absolutely LOVE animals, there are too many children in need in my community for me to give to animals if I could afford to help children. If I could afford it I would love to help both

Old 10-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Navzrrqt

i think it might be a kewl idea to help someone whom doesnt have the $'s to get their dog s/n ?? But if I had to picka rescuegroup. I'd go with Carolina Care Bullies. because over these past 2 years..they ahve really been doing work. They care about the dogs but most importantly..they care about their fosters/adopters. They WANT you to have a good dog. they do it for the breed, but for the ppl as well. reguardless if its a pup/dog that looks PIT BULL, they want the ppl to have a good dog and a good experience with an adoption throughout the years that you own one of their dogs. which is really important. if you need any training..yyou contact them. if you are having any health issues..contact them and see what they thing. there arent a lot of groups that are dedicated like that anymore. a lot have become shady.

Detroit Bully Crew is also a very small rescue that could benefit froma nice donation like such. They will help anyone with their dog. Their basic funds come from selling Tshirts. They do it FOR THE DOGS, for the BREED. they do all kinds of local events with the inner city to educate.

I think its awesome that u are donating.

Maybe you should check around your local shelters first. Maybe instead of giving a rescue $$$ ask the specific rescue u choose..what brand of food they use for their dogs... if they need some collars exc. for ur local shelter..maybe they need kitty litter exc.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
nicktender

I would probably donate personally to the Greyhound rescues or my local Save Our Homeless pets, but for Pit bull groups, we have 3 good ones in Florida.

http://pitstopbullys.com/default.aspx

http://rugazrescue.com/default.htm

http://www.pitbullhappenings.com/rescue.php (this group could use it the most, need money for food and crates)

Old 10-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #17
Narcodran

If it was me, I'd donate it to the legal fund for fighting the Ontario ban. Why. Because those guys are game as hell and haven't given up the fight in six bloody years. Plus, the ban is all sorts of wrong....
We love you too, Zoe! :3

I would have to agree with FieldMarshal as well. I would feel much more comfortable donating items than money.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #18
chelviweeme

Thanks for the replies everyone! I more than likely will go the route that some of ya'll suggested and donate items instead of money... I just can't decide where. I WOULD donate to our local shelter but that lady is a major bitch & she can't stand me as it is. So I wouldn't trust her with the money OR the items... & there's not very many animals in there anyways, thank God.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #19
9wQlZkIj

Pit Bull Rescue Central is a great organization. I donate to them whenever I've got a little extra money and I trust that they put it to good use.
Honestly though I think I would try to put it toward organizing some kind of local public education on BSL/Pit Bulls or a spay/neuter event.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #20
sleepergun

I'm with fieldmarshall. I no longer donate cash ever since a few years ago when I made the horrible horrible mistake of donating to HSUS. I felt tricked and I was very very angry when I learned about 1)their true goals 2)their misappropriation of funds. Now I donate food, blankets, collars etc.

Reply to Thread New Thread