LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
CHEAPSOFTOEMONLINE

Default Dog gone crazy
I'm not sure if y'all remember my bulldog/ridgeback mix Buckshot, well for the past eight months or so, he's been "losing his mind." I brought home a Amstaff to foster and they tied up together, Buckshot didn't want him close to me, and ever since then he has been overly aggressive.I've got two bulldogs that are purebred and he's my mutt, my two other bulldogs, Gator and Bambi, both have good temperaments, get along great, and play good together when I let them off their chains. However, when I let Gator off his chain, Buckshot has to stay on his otherwise he attacks Gator. Today he tried to jump on my female, Bambi, then attacked Gator when Gator got too close to his chain spot, and when I went tl correct him, he barred his teeth AT ME! I was half tempted to sho him right there on the spot, but damn, I've that dog from when he was 5 weeks.Im almost 7 months pregnant and with my baby on the way, I feel obligated to either shot him or give him away. He aint neutered, but he was fine as an unneutered till I brought that Amstaff to foster. Ever since then, he's become more and more aggressive.Would it be best to put him down, or neuter him and wait?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
salomal-qask

honestly if my dog every barred her teeth at me she would be PTS asap.. i mean i understand how you feel about the dog but with a baby on the way i wouldn't be willing to risk it

Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 AM   #3
CHEAPSOFTOEMONLINE

That's how I feel, I can't risk the chance. If he bares his teeth at me of all people, then he'll do it to anyone else, and who knows maybe even actually bite them.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
salomal-qask

yea i mean alot of people expect some DA agression out of bulldog breed expecially ABPT it in there genes and sometimes unavoidable.. but any sign of HA expecially at there owner.. thats a major red flag to me

Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #5
CHEAPSOFTOEMONLINE

DA I expect, but his is on another level entirely, he jumps on females, males, puppies, it don't matter to him; He exhibits more da than bulldogs from gamebred lines.Today was it though, he's pretty much sealed his fate, I've been on the verge of tears since it happened, he's my baby, and I never expected that from him.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #6
BruceCroucshs

How old is he?

What did you actually do when he did this at you? And what was his response?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #7
CHEAPSOFTOEMONLINE

He's about 15 months old now, and as soon as he barred his teeth at me, I left him alone. I ain't messed with him since

Old 10-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
BruceCroucshs

Hmm yea, I'd say PTS, unless you want to exhaust all options like vet check and behaviorist first. But that's entirely up to you and your financial situation because each can be costly.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #9
Janarealiti

Well if it was ME, I would give it ONE more chance...there's a chance that he didn't recognize that it was YOU instead of the other dog...I read something on here the other day about someone teaching their dog to distinguish between human and dog when under stress...have you ever done anything of this nature with him? Is this the first time he's reacted this way to you? I would deff neuter him anyways though, it deff can't hurt, maybe it will help! it's worth a shot.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #10
BruceCroucshs

DA I expect, but his is on another level entirely, he jumps on females, males, puppies, it don't matter to him; He exhibits more da than bulldogs from gamebred lines.Today was it though, he's pretty much sealed his fate, I've been on the verge of tears since it happened, he's my baby, and I never expected that from him.
My dog is like that. He hates every other dog, doesn't matter.. I don't see that as alarming, at all.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

The other thing I was thinking is that when you just walked away.. It might have just reinforced his bad behavior toward you because he didn't get any punishment.. I would have smacked that dog so hard and yelled at him to knock it off. And his reaction would determine how I felt about him.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

But it does sound like you've already made up your mind about him and how you feel and what you're going to do..

Old 10-19-2011, 04:32 AM   #11
zdlupikkkdi

Im a bit on the fence here, but being pregnant I would have him PTS, DA is no issue but the second your dog snarls at you like he will attack...that is NOT ok.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
Janarealiti

My dog is like that. He hates every other dog, doesn't matter.. I don't see that as alarming, at all.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

The other thing I was thinking is that when you just walked away.. It might have just reinforced his bad behavior toward you because he didn't get any punishment.. I would have smacked that dog so hard and yelled at him to knock it off. And his reaction would determine how I felt about him.
This is how I feel about the situation too... you should've atleast yelled at him to knock it off, just incase he didn't realize it was YOU, know what I mean? That's why I would give it one more chance, IMO, you are kinda the one to blame, you just walked away, reinforcing his behavior with no punishment. Now, of course, if you would've yelled at him and he didn't stop, PTS for sure.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #13
FYIbiatches

As a member since May of this year, if you have been active at all, you should completely understand that dog aggression toward a new dog, or any dog, is completely understandable, even expected, and redirecting onto another dog, whoever is closest if he can't get to the new dog, is also normal. Sounds like he redirected onto Bambi and the other dog because he was tied up and couldn't get to his intended victim. That in itself wouldn't concern me, but I have 5 dogs with different degrees of aggression and some have redirected onto another, matter of fact, that was how the first scuffle between Mollie and Bella happened.

Could be that Buckshot feels protective toward you with the other dogs... again, a dog aggressive dog doesn't phase me. The fact that he is getting more and more aggressive, if it is toward other dogs, also wouldn't phase me. The fact that he is unaltered, would be a big deal with me. I would have him neutered ASAP. Probably won't curb his dog aggression, but he is a foster and not purebred. There is no need to keep an unaltered male if you are not showing/breeding him, and being as he is not purebred, that knocks out breeding him. Plus, if there is a female in heat within a mile or so radius, his frustration of not being able to get to her will only get him more riled up which will result in him redirecting onto the other dogs even more so.

Depending on the situation that was going on when he bared his teeth at you, that would come into consideration as to whether or not it could have just been a "heat of the moment" thing. However, if you already have 2 dogs that are yours and you are fixing to have a baby, it might be best for him to rehome him. Who are you fostering him through? They should be more than willing to take him back under the circumstances. The foster that is sponsoring Cooper would take him if I couldn't keep him, regardless of the reason. And the people I adopted Bella from would take her back if I couldn't keep her. Actually, it is written in the contract that if I cannot keep her, she goes back to them or I would be breaching the contract... and I've had Bella 3 years this coming March.

Contact the people you are fostering him through and let them know that you are unable to foster him anymore and ask that they take him back.. it shouldn't be a big deal with the rescue that you are fostering him through.... however, be sure you tell them about his dog aggression, and also about the possibility of maybe some human aggression issues... that way, they can have him evaluated and see what their options are with him.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 AM   #14
Pharmaciest

I don't really understand, he's "gone crazy" because he doesn't like your other dogs anymore? Um he's a pit mix, not like some DA is surprising at all and as far as him baring his teeth when you went to "correct him", sounds like he's afraid of what you are going to do, if a dog thinks they are going to get smacked or in fear of you they are going to react, they are dogs, not freaking robots or saints and it doesn't mean they are vicious or even aggressive, people come at me aggressively I don't react well either, doesn't mean I'm going to go on a shooting spree either. Sounds like the whole situation was avoidable and your fault anyways, he's on a chain with nowhere to go and you have other dogs running around him knowing he's not good with them, so probably got a revved up dog, who then gets "corrected" for doing what you already knew he would do.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #15
BruceCroucshs

This is how I feel about the situation too... you should've atleast yelled at him to knock it off, just incase he didn't realize it was YOU, know what I mean? That's why I would give it one more chance, IMO, you are kinda the one to blame, you just walked away, reinforcing his behavior with no punishment. Now, of course, if you would've yelled at him and he didn't stop, PTS for sure.
I wouldn't lay much blame on her.. She's pregnant and that baby is a lot more important that a dog.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Depending on the situation that was going on when he bared his teeth at you, that would come into consideration as to whether or not it could have just been a "heat of the moment" thing. However, if you already have 2 dogs that are yours and you are fixing to have a baby, it might be best for him to rehome him. Who are you fostering him through? They should be more than willing to take him back under the circumstances. The foster that is sponsoring Cooper would take him if I couldn't keep him, regardless of the reason. And the people I adopted Bella from would take her back if I couldn't keep her. Actually, it is written in the contract that if I cannot keep her, she goes back to them or I would be breaching the contract... and I've had Bella 3 years this coming March.

Contact the people you are fostering him through and let them know that you are unable to foster him anymore and ask that they take him back.. it shouldn't be a big deal with the rescue that you are fostering him through.... however, be sure you tell them about his dog aggression, and also about the possibility of maybe some human aggression issues... that way, they can have him evaluated and see what their options are with him.
I think Buckshot is actually her dog, not a foster

Old 10-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #16
77Dinaartickire

I would see if he does it again. It could be just because you brought a strange dog home.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:10 AM   #17
Janarealiti

I wouldn't lay much blame on her.. She's pregnant and that baby is a lot more important that a dog.
Oh yes, definately, I didn't mean it like that...Sorry OP, deff not intended that way!
I meant that she should've done SOMEthing to let him know that it was not appropriate, to see what his reaction would've been. It IS her fault that she reinforced his bad behavior by not giving him any punishment for his actions.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:13 AM   #18
BruceCroucshs

Oh yes, definately, I didn't mean it like that...Sorry OP, deff not intended that way!
I meant that she should've done SOMEthing to let him know that it was not appropriate, to see what his reaction would've been. It IS her fault that she reinforced his bad behavior by not giving him any punishment for his actions.
I agree. Though I also agree with GoingPostal, if the dog is already afraid of her or thought he was going to get hit and reacted fearfully as opposed to aggressively.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #19
CHEAPSOFTOEMONLINE

I wouldn't lay much blame on her.. She's pregnant and that baby is a lot more important that a dog.---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------I think Buckshot is actually her dog, not a foster
Yes, Buckshot is my dog. Titus was the Amstaff foster, and he's been gone for months now. This behavior is not normal for Buckshot at all, bulldog or not, I've owned many bulldogs and bulldog mixes, and while DA is normal in the breed, this was not how Buckshot used to be until he tied up with the Amstaff.As for correcting him, I was spanking himwith his toy rope and when he showed me his teeth, that's it. I'm not risking getting bitten or anything while I'm pregnant to correct my dog. Buckshot used to be great with puppies and other dogs, even after his nuts fully dropped, but ever since Titus his personality has completely changed. I'm not the only one who's noticed either, everyone loved Buckshot, but now he fights other dogs right next to little kids. He does it just to fight, now if I'm correct, just because a dog is game or a bulldog doesn't entitle him to be over the top, a danger to those around him due to his da.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #20
BruceCroucshs

Yes, Buckshot is my dog. Titus was the Amstaff foster, and he's been gone for months now. This behavior is not normal for Buckshot at all, bulldog or not, I've owned many bulldogs and bulldog mixes, and while DA is normal in the breed, this was not how Buckshot used to be until he tied up with the Amstaff.As for correcting him, I was spanking himwith his toy rope and when he showed me his teeth, that's it. I'm not risking getting bitten or anything while I'm pregnant to correct my dog. Buckshot used to be great with puppies and other dogs, even after his nuts fully dropped, but ever since Titus his personality has completely changed. I'm not the only one who's noticed either, everyone loved Buckshot, but now he fights other dogs right next to little kids. He does it just to fight, now if I'm correct, just because a dog is game or a bulldog doesn't entitle him to be over the top, a danger to those around him due to his da.
My dog was never DA until he was 5, then it was gradual. Now I can't let him see any dog without him wanted to tear it apart. It's normal. Dog aggression, of any degree, is normal and to be expected, even if you've never dealt with it to that extent before. He's maturing, and as he matures, his true temperament will come out. Obviously his natural temperament includes extreme dog aggression.

You were spanking him before you showed you his teeth? You were repeatedly hitting him with a rope? That's out of line IMO, I would have growled at you too.

You need to not allow him to get into fights. It's your fault if someone is injured because you let Buckshot get too close to another dog. It's quite obvious that he doesn't like other dogs. It's not difficult at all to not let your dog near other dogs. I do it every day. You just have to want to keep your dog safe and out of the headlines.

Reply to Thread New Thread