LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
hapasaparaz

Default What do you think about this phenomenon?
On a major intersection in the semirural area where I live, there is a man who dresses up as Santa Claus and walks back and forth on the median for hours at a time, attempting to get money from motorists when they are stopped at the intersection. He has been panhandling in this fashion since the summer. What is most disturbing to me is that he has a dog on a leash with him who also goes back and forth on the median. The dog has a Christmas costume on as well. I believe the dog is a pitbull. Hundreds of thousands of motorists stop at this intersection on any given day. I believe the man is "out there" somewhere and that he is abusing the dog by forcing the dog to be there with him. Apparently no one seems to be bothered by this phenomenon. What are your thoughts?

Old 11-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
Khurlxgq

I'm confused... which part of that do you consider abuse? Being outside, or walking all day?

My dogs would personally LOVE it, and the interactions with all the strangers? Even better!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
hapasaparaz

I think that making a dog walk about 20 feet back and forth on a median in major traffic is dangerous and abusive. Being outside in this kind of environment is not healthy for the person or his dog.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
valentinesdayyy

Not really sure how it's a phenomenon, or abuse. It's probably not particularly safe for the dog to be wandering near traffic, but I don't see how that itself is considered 'abuse'.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Khurlxgq

I think that making a dog walk about 20 feet back and forth on a median in major traffic is dangerous and abusive. Being outside in this kind of environment is not healthy for the person or his dog.

So is walking down a sidewalk then...

Is the dog on a leash or is it loose? If it's loose, I'd have some objection. But on a leash... there's nothing wrong with it.

(ETA: I'm from the country - I don't know what defines a "median"... I'm picturing a stretch of unpaved part inbetween lanes of traffic, is that about right?)

Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
GWRIeEQp

How is that a phenomenon? Do you suspect he is an alien?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
Khurlxgq

How is that a phenomenon? Do you suspect he is an alien?

Apparently Santa suits and pit bulls are in the same league as UFOs!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
GWRIeEQp

Or shit -- maybe he's a ghost or demon come back to torture poor defenseless doggies by walking them...OH NO.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
Khurlxgq

I expected you to be going somewhere related to the dog with that, NOT the santa LOL

Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
GWRIeEQp

Lol, I feel like an asshole anyways.

But to the OP, pit bulls are very human-loving dogs...that dog probably loves his life. He gets to be around his owner, doing things with his owner, ALL THE TIME.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
Khurlxgq

Not to mention, meeting random people ALL the time! And getting exercise ALL the time! My dogs would love it, like I said lol

Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
GWRIeEQp

Chevelle would run out of urine. Lol. She submissive pees whenever she meets someone new and is super excited to meet them. I'd have to keep her hydrated! Lol.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
hapasaparaz

I'm actually quite surprised at the comments to my post about the man and his dog. I find it heartbreaking to subject both oneself and one's pet to this kind of danger. I find it heartbreaking that hundreds of thousands of people have driven by the two and obviously done nothing to help either the man or the dog. I will do something.

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

The median is probably about 2.5 feet wide. It is paved and a few inches above the grade of the road.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
GWRIeEQp

What're you gunna do? Ask that the dog be taken from his owner? Is this man homeless? And also, is the dog on a leash?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
Khurlxgq

I'm actually quite surprised at the comments to my post about the man and his dog. I find it heartbreaking to subject both oneself and one's pet to this kind of danger. I find it heartbreaking that hundreds of thousands of people have driven by the two and obviously done nothing to help either the man or the dog. I will do something.

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

The median is probably about 2.5 feet wide. It is paved and a few inches above the grade of the road.

I honestly don't understand how this is any more dangerous than walking down a city sidewalk?

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

What're you gunna do? Ask that the dog be taken from his owner? Is this man homeless? And also, is the dog on a leash?

I re-read the OP, and it said the dog is leashed. So I REALLY don't see the issue here?!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
GWRIeEQp

The only way the dog is in danger is if he decides that he wants to thrust his dog into traffic. In which case, I'd say that under your mind-set and jurisdiction, anyone walking their dog remotely close to the road should have their animal taken from them? Just trying to understand your logic here.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #17
nerrttrw

Ok so the dog is out exercising and being socialized on a daily basis... Am i missing something here? Sounds like hes a better dog owner than many on this very forum.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #18
Khurlxgq

I bet this guy could make some money as a dog walker!

Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #19
GWRIeEQp

Wouldn't THAT be a phenomenon.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #20
iroxmxinau

What is there to do? Buy him a house? Take the dog? A lit of pandhadlers have homes and do it for the easy money. Dont be mad if he tells you to piss off and jumps in a Benz to get away from you.....lol

Reply to Thread New Thread