LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
12Cickprior

Default To crop or not to crop?
Does she have the right ears or are they high enough for a crop? I've never had a crop on a dog and I want to get Kaihlees ears done. For personal reasons and to have if I do decide to do a coupke fun shows in the mutt class. Apbt/Am bully mutt...... So does she have the goods or not?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
jokilewqs

Well its to young to tell what her ears will be like when she is an adult, Bear had those same ears when he was about 4 months old.. now look at him. Just sayin lol

I think you should be fine if you want to get them cropped A good crop would set her face off nice IMO

Old 10-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
abishiots

if you want to crop you don't want to wait, there is an age limit to when you can get it done. I would just make sure the vet you use has done a lot of them and you can see the work, best to see the dogs but at least photos and feedback from the owners so you know what to expect

Old 10-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
suingincentix

I agree with Elliehanna. If you're going to do it, get it done now. Use a vet that knows what they are doing, and then do the after-care properly.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
jokilewqs

Yea if I was getting a dog cropped I would want to see all his crop jobs and see some of the dogs in person..

Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
12Cickprior

Hello? Anyone?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
verybigf

I have no idea about cropping,but they look like they will set nicely if you don't.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
blackjackblax

I'm not sure what you mean by "right ears", any dog can be cropped. Sako was done at 9wks. old, I wouldn't crop one after 12wks. Definitely make sure you find a good vet, and see the vets work before you have her done.. a bad crop can ruin a dogs look, IMO.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
q9h9pPne

I like to crop between 10-16 weeks, but have done adults, that have full prick or fly ears, with good results. Make sure the pup has had at least a couple of vaccines, as earcropping....is a good way to contract parvo.

Full drop, houndy ears tend to lay down when cropped, whereas perky ears usually stand better. I think your dogs ears should crop fine. I prefer to let the ears heal completely and stitiches out before any taping, as many encounter infection, especially those new at wrapping.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
grizolsemn

I like natural ears, so I don't have any advice.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
blackjackblax

I never had to do any taping, despite Sako's ears being completely wonky before his crop.. none of my breeders pups have ever required it. I love love love her vet!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
12Cickprior

The vet I am using is used by a big doberman show crowed we have here. Ive seen some of the dobes but I havent seen any of the bully breeds in person. Ive seen tons of photos. I have that part covered so no worries there. I just dont want her ears to lay down and never stand up. If taping is something I have to do, how long do you have to tape them for? Do you have to tape often or is it a one time thing? What is involved with after care? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure it is something I can handle. Anything else I should consider? Heeling time? The vet says he likes to do them between 14-16#s. Is that normal?

Old 10-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
abishiots

I would make sure going to that vet that you don't end up with big crops like to long/tall but something you like. I would talk to the vet about the after care before you get it done, and also about the taping, sounds like the vet has done a ton of them and would not what kinda after care and time and such

Old 10-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
12Cickprior

Ill talk to him more. Just thought I would get some ideas from you guys.

He also told me that he will NOT do a battle crop. Thats fine, cause I want it as long as Torques. Im actually taking a picture of him on the day its done so he understands exactly what I want

Old 10-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
blackjackblax

Ear Crop Information and Care this is a good read about cropping.. it used to be a sticky but for some reason it isn't anymore.

I'm not sure if I'd go with a vet that mostly crops Dobe's for a Bully breed. They're VERY different types of crops.

There really isn't a guarantee that the ears will stand. I've seen ears not stand even with dogs that were taped, so that's always a risk. With Bully breeds though, there's less of a chance since the crop is shorter.

I never had to tape, so maybe someone who has will chime in on the length of time.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
jPNy2BP5

I am usually one that always says crop, but I think I would leave those ears natural JMO

Old 10-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
arrasleds

I lik both looks but she looks like she has nice ears I wouldn't crop them

Old 10-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #18
Clesylafabada

Leave them natural.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #19
N9NACzws

Those ears are perfect!!! I vote no crop... but it is your pup, so you will be the one that makes the final decision. If it were me, I'd leave them as they are right now. That is one adorable pup!!

Old 10-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #20
12Cickprior

Ear Crop Information and Care this is a good read about cropping.. it used to be a sticky but for some reason it isn't anymore.

I'm not sure if I'd go with a vet that mostly crops Dobe's for a Bully breed. They're VERY different types of crops.

There really isn't a guarantee that the ears will stand. I've seen ears not stand even with dogs that were taped, so that's always a risk. With Bully breeds though, there's less of a chance since the crop is shorter.

I never had to tape, so maybe someone who has will chime in on the length of time.
Thanks Kady. He mostly does pit bull type dogs. He is just well known by the Dobe show crowed here for such good crops. Ive only seen his dobe work in person. His bully work is stunning too but I have only seen pictures. So I know the quality is good but im just worried about after care. At 4#s and 5 weeks old I have some time to decide. She does have some cute ears huh?

Reply to Thread New Thread