LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-11-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
tigoCeree

Default Well...today was the day:( *advice needed!*
I've been waitin on my two little angels (pit mixes) to decide that they don't get along anymore...today was the day! They were both sitting at my feet at the kitchen table and for absolutely no reason in the world they started growling at eachother and as soon as they went to lunge forward I grabbed their collars and yanked them apart before they could grab onto eachother. I suppose the crate and rotate begins NOW! ughhh The problem is...they won't sleep without eachother! I've tried leaving Bella in the bathroom (she's in heat, the bathroom is easier to clean! lol) and having Dixie sleep with me, (can't leave them out at night bc of some asshole neighbors), but they both whine and bark all night until you either put them both in the bathroom or let them both in the bed or on the couch together! they absolutely WILL NOT sleep without the other one, but I'm afraid if i put them together, they will fight & I won't hear them while I'm sleeping Any suggestions? I tried just putting their crates next to eachother a little while ago to keep them apart but also to try to keep them from feeling alone...didn't work! They whined and whined and whined until I let them out so they could curl up together!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
Qxsumehj

You're going to have to live with some whining while they learn to sleep apart, don't really have much option there. Although if they just had a little scuffle no reason to full on crate/rotate unless they are starting crap nonstop now, my dogs have tried to get into it over various things but we've always been right there to yank them apart before they get serious and get a hold, we just break them up and separate them for a bit and put them back together when they settle down.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
eduptultyt

Crate them seperately in your bedroom with you. Or tough out the whining!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
kranskregyan

I would crate and rotate but maybe you could put the crates where they can still see eachother but not reach eachother? Im not sure what else to do. Honestly I would treat separating them like starting crate training though. The first few nights Kona was in his crate he HATED it and whined and cried for hours. He got used to it though

Old 11-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
Xxedxevh

I'm not so sure I'd do a complete switch to crate & rotate over one little spat, especially with one of them being in heat. All those hormones can = one bitchy dog. Are you planning on spaying them? That in itself can help with some level of DA.

What WAS their sleeping arrangement before this happened? Both in the bed with you? What about crating them in the room with you at night, so that they can still smell each other, but not be able to get at each other? Either way, sounds like you're going to have to deal with the whining and barking.. they'll eventually get over it.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #6
kranskregyan

I'm not so sure I'd do a complete switch to crate & rotate over one little spat, especially with one of them being in heat. All those hormones can = one bitchy dog.
I think it was Teal who said that a bitch in heat is a bitch hahaha. Its true

Old 11-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #7
tigoCeree

I did try crating them separately in the same room, guys (last sentence of OP! lol) The sleeping arrangement before was both in the bed with me, before Bella came in heat, but for the past week or so since she has been in, they have both been sleeping in the bathroom, no crates. I absolutely do plan on spaying both of them within the next couple of months. I didn't figure that would help with DA though? They have NEVER even so much as growled at each other in the past 7 or 8 months since I got the second one (Bella) & they even eat out the same bowl! I would put two bowls down, of course, like 10/15 feet apart just to be safe but they refuse to eat out of their own bowl! I really don't want to have to keep them apart, they are both such great dogs, but I have to do whatever it takes to keep them safe. I was hoping someone would say that it was possibly the hormones of Bella being in heat, thanks Kady! lol

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

I think it was Teal who said that a bitch in heat is a bitch hahaha. Its true
hahaha!! that's cute! and apparently true!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
angelxmagic

Nikki gets along with Mater all the time ....EXCEPT when she is in heat then she hates everyone....I would defiantly not allow them to sleep together any longer heat or no heat, a fight can break out anytime for the any reason.....

Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
BrifsGefel

Letting them eat out of the same bowl is an accident waiting to happen - no matter what breed of dog. I'd start feeding them out of separate bowls. If they refuse to eat? Well, then they can wait for the next meal time. They'll eat when they're hungry enough, and they'll eventually get used to having their own bowl. Same with crates - you may have to tough out some whining, but they'll hopefully settle down quickly. Maybe start giving them yummy treats in their crates when you go to bed?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Xxedxevh

I did try crating them separately in the same room, guys (last sentence of OP! lol) The sleeping arrangement before was both in the bed with me, before Bella came in heat, but for the past week or so since she has been in, they have both been sleeping in the bathroom, no crates. I absolutely do plan on spaying both of them within the next couple of months. I didn't figure that would help with DA though? They have NEVER even so much as growled at each other in the past 7 or 8 months since I got the second one (Bella) & they even eat out the same bowl! I would put two bowls down, of course, like 10/15 feet apart just to be safe but they refuse to eat out of their own bowl! I really don't want to have to keep them apart, they are both such great dogs, but I have to do whatever it takes to keep them safe. I was hoping someone would say that it was possibly the hormones of Bella being in heat, thanks Kady! lol
I've seen spaying and neutering tone down quite a few dogs who were quite DA (or DR) beforehand. Not saying it's going to completely solve the issue, but it certainly can't HURT.

I definitely wouldn't let them continue eating out of the same bowl.. accident waiting to happen there. If you have to, feed them in crates, or put one outside to eat, keep one inside. They don't eat, oh well, they won't starve and they'll eventually get hungry and get with the program.

As for the sleeping arrangement, I'd just continue crating them in your room. Covering one (or both) crates with a blanket so they can't see each other might help with the whining.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Eltabaco

I'm not so sure I'd do a complete switch to crate & rotate over one little spat, especially with one of them being in heat. All those hormones can = one bitchy dog. Are you planning on spaying them? That in itself can help with some level of DA.

What WAS their sleeping arrangement before this happened? Both in the bed with you? What about crating them in the room with you at night, so that they can still smell each other, but not be able to get at each other? Either way, sounds like you're going to have to deal with the whining and barking.. they'll eventually get over it.
This...

I would maybe crate them both separate in your room since obviously you can't be awake at night to supervise. You may have to deal with a few nights of barking and whining. But I don't think I would jump to total crate and rotate just yet. I also think the heat might have something to do with it.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
tigoCeree

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping it's the heat that has her grouchy bc idk why they would want to sleep together if they don't like eachother anymore ya know what I mean? And even last night, after the (almost) fight, I tried separating them to sleep and I laid awake and listened to them whine for FOUR HOURS!! So I let them out of their crates and put them in the bathroom and they shut up IMMEDIATELY!! Its not that i mind toughing out the whining, it's just that they both sound PITIFUL without eachother... I don't want them to develop any kind of separation anxiety or somethin! Is that even possible?! Lol ugh I'm such a worry wart!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #13
soineeLom

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping it's the heat that has her grouchy bc idk why they would want to sleep together if they don't like eachother anymore ya know what I mean?
Hint for those in the future: PLEASE separate your bitches as soon as one comes in heat!*
If you DON'T, any good relationship you've got going WILL *be compromised!
And, any good relationship you have going may very well be destroyed.
All because one didn't in my opinion, use common sense along with a little dog sense and SEPARATE bitches in season!

Carla

Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
GogaMegaPis

Thanks everyone! I'm hoping it's the heat that has her grouchy bc idk why they would want to sleep together if they don't like eachother anymore ya know what I mean? And even last night, after the (almost) fight, I tried separating them to sleep and I laid awake and listened to them whine for FOUR HOURS!! So I let them out of their crates and put them in the bathroom and they shut up IMMEDIATELY!! Its not that i mind toughing out the whining, it's just that they both sound PITIFUL without eachother... I don't want them to develop any kind of separation anxiety or somethin! Is that even possible?! Lol ugh I'm such a worry wart!
I know heats can make them more bitchy/grumpy.My girls were more aggressive when they were in heat(some just to other females,some to everyone/everything).I don't think it's a good idea to be putting them together in the bathroom unsupervised(at least right now,but probably forever).If a fight breaks out,how and the heck do you plan to stop it? Can you afford to pay for your mistake?? Can they??? It's not something ''I'' would be willing to risk.I had a fight happen here even when I had the dogs contained(they got out of their containment and fought).I was gone 45minutes.It looked like a blood bath when I came home.My white dog was red and blood soaked /limping and bella was holed up under the desk,leg swollen/bleeding,face swelled and dripping blood.They were pretty badly damaged,but both managed to make it out of the fight alive.The vet bills were high and the dogs had a long recovery.It is NOT something I want to do again.At least they survived.Some dogs will end up killing each other or having to be PTS from injuries.THAT would have been to much of a price to pay,for something preventable.I really hope it never happens to your girls.

Spaying will help to some degree with the DA.I have several dogs here that were DR/DA and it settled a good bit when they were spayed.My DA females are more DSel at this point,only 1 I have would be Dsoc.

Please try to keep your girls apart when you cannot watch them,at least until they are no longer in heat.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
soineeLom

Although if they just had a little scuffle no reason to full on crate/rotate unless they are starting crap nonstop now, my dogs have tried to get into it over various things but we've always been right there to yank them apart before they get serious and get a hold, we just break them up and separate them for a bit and put them back together when they settle down.
The difference HERE is that one of the females is IN HEAT!

Carla

Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #16
tigoCeree

I've never owned more than one female at a time until these two.... I didn't know that one being in heat would change anything like that. I will keep them apart until She is out then I will let them back together and see how it goes. Thank you so much for the help everyone!

Reply to Thread New Thread