LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Bgfbukpf

Default Puppy shipping by air - what's your experience or advice?
Does anyone have a good experience or horror story to share with getting a new puppy shipped by air?

I’ve almost bought a pup several times from cross country but didn’t due to a bad experience a family member had getting a dog shipped.

Long story short, they got puppy (not an apbt) that arrive traumatized and 10 years later no one can get near, let alone even touch, the dog except one person in their house. The dog basically lives under the dining room table in fear of everything.

If possible can we stay away from the “what do you want a puppy shipped for” or “what are you looking for” questions? I’d like to hear your knowledge of successful and not successfully experiences with receiving a puppy shipped by air.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
BebopVT

I'd be interested in any responses as well. I'm not currently in the market for a dog but it seems the only trustworthy breeders are a long, long ways away from me. I often wondered how flying a puppy would work out. (my guess is "not very well", but I don't actually know....)

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
bug_user

Well my brother bought a Maltese puppy from a breeder in TX a few (6) years back. My mom travels for her job. She flew to where this puppy was. Picked him up and flew him home. Because he was small enough to fit in a bag under the seat, she was able to keep him in the cabin with her. I think it worked out. The pup had no adjustment issues afterward. No issues related to the flight that we can tell. If at all possible, I'd suggest that.

Carter was flown to California in the cargo area. We don't know (obviously) what he went through on while on the plane or while getting loaded and taken off.. But when the guy put his crate on the flat-cart, he put the crate up sideways and the crate fell off the cart, with a 6 month old Carter inside. Him being fearful anyway, I'm sure it was a terrifying experience.

If I were to ever get a dog from a place that would require him to be shipped, I'd take a road trip. At least then I'd have more control over what's going on and be able to deal with any problems as they arise.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
SoOW2LeA

I would be inclined to say adjustment issues that severe are genetic.

I have intereacted with a pair of littermate brother Mals that were imported from the Netherlands to the NW USA at 8 weeks old. They are super gregarious, intelligent, and bombproof pups.
I think if its a trustworthy breeder/broker who has had zero problems with their chosen airline, there should be no problem. Just make sure you extremely thoroughly research the breeder and dogs. I would strong urge you to get many references, meet some dogs if there are any from that breeder in your area, or even fly out yourself to meet them.... sight unseen purchases can be a mess if you haven't confirmed if it fits the as advertised disscussions, as your family member found out.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Viafdrear

I had my male Chi shipped from Texas to Toronto. He arrived a little covered in pee, but came out with a wagging tail and licks for everyone when we opened his crate. He's still a very mellow happy go lucky boy at 3!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
SetSnonejog

My dog shipped from VA to RI and was none the worse for wear.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
esconsise

My friend had her Dane shipped to her as a pup, he's just fine now, didn't seem to have any ill after effects from the shipping.

If I were to ship a dog, I'd probably use one of the pet specific airlines, where they keep them in the cabin vs. in cargo.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #8
ProomoSam

I'd never ship a pup, but that's just me. I'll be driving from Atlantic Canada to Wisconsin in the spring to pick up my next dane pup.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
wrardymar

I've never PERSONALLY had a dog shipped, but I know many dogs that were shipped. A friend had a Pit Bull puppy shipped across the country, without problems.

Many of the salukis my dog's breeder has are imported from other countries and flown in... none of them have any problems. She has dogs that were shipped in as puppies and adults.

I would agree with whoever said that the dog you gave as an example, OP, is genetically off... shipping wouldn't affect a sound dog like that.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
DurryVony

My friend had her Dane shipped to her as a pup, he's just fine now, didn't seem to have any ill after effects from the shipping.

If I were to ship a dog, I'd probably use one of the pet specific airlines, where they keep them in the cabin vs. in cargo.
Do you know the names of any such airlines?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
tilmprarnerit

I just shipped a pup from Charlotte to San Francisco, and was very leary of it at first, but all was well. I shipped the pup Delta DASH and was able to schedule her flight so she had as few lay overs as possible, and had the most climate friendly route. The guys at Cargo we very nice and reassuring, also let me stay with her a little while so I could make sure she was as empty as possible before her journey. I also did my best to prepare the pup by getting it used to being in a crate for about a week before the flight so that the first time in a crate would not be a bad experience. All the reports I have received from her new owner are that she is doing great, and faired the flight well.

It's not my first choice, but would do it again if I didn't have another option.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
esconsise

Do you know the names of any such airlines?
pet transport, pet shipping, dog transportation, animal transportation, pet moving, fly your pet, pet travel, ship dogs

Old 03-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
tilmprarnerit

PetAirways does in-cabin shipping. It is more expensive and they are limited in the airports that they fly out of and in to. I looked into them, but it didn't work out.

http://petairways.com/

Old 03-11-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
esconsise

PetAirways does in-cabin shipping. It is more expensive and they are limited in the airports that they fly out of and in to. I looked into them, but it didn't work out.

http://petairways.com/
That's the one I just linked above you LOL. I've heard good things about them.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
arerrurrY

I have flown many puppies, and have not had an issue with adjustments afterwards. I would aslo agree and state more of that is genetics.. Yes depending on the flight you may have a messy crate...lol But should have a happy wagging puppy non the less. I have even flew out of the country and had no issues, I always fly non-stop if piossible with NO LAY OVERS.... The biggest issue I have had is flying a dog from out of the country into the states into Atlanta!!!! You have to have customs come and meet you and pay extra for this as well!!!! If it is after 5 I think they hold the dog till customs come back in the morning

Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
tilmprarnerit

Sorry Kady we must have posted about the same time

Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #17
tinetttstation

How would you like to be shoved in a crate, tossed into a dark rattling cabin, subjected to severe speed and elevation changes and potentially be forced to eliminate on yourself? What if your pup was on the Jetblue flight standed on the Tarmac in Hartford last week for 7 hours!

There is no reason to ship a dog. Thats what cars are for. The airlines are a business and no matter how much reassurance they give, they are full of it.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #18
Viafdrear

There is plenty of reason to ship dogs - especially with rare breeds needing new blood from imports of another country.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #19
SoOW2LeA

There is plenty of reason to ship dogs - especially with rare breeds needing new blood from imports of another country.
Heck yeah!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
DoctorTentonyya

How would you like to be shoved in a crate, tossed into a dark rattling cabin, subjected to severe speed and elevation changes and potentially be forced to eliminate on yourself? What if your pup was on the Jetblue flight standed on the Tarmac in Hartford last week for 7 hours!

There is no reason to ship a dog. Thats what cars are for. The airlines are a business and no matter how much reassurance they give, they are full of it.
I'm not a dog. I don't like eating my own shit or licking my privates to keep them clean. So, I can't speak for my dog. But, a good-tempered dog, even as a puppy, should be able to easily adjust to the situation and recover quickly from it.

Reply to Thread New Thread