LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
GuitarLoverBe

Default Who says your dog is an "American Pit Bull Terrier" (APBT) ??
Which of these if more than one, do you think apply ...

"American Pit Bull Terrier"

- Purebred Pedigreed dog
- Purebred and Registered as APBT
- Not registered but has a provable written pedigree history as an APBT
- Recognized as an APBT by an appeal to a registry
- Non-pedigreed dog of unknown or unprovable origin but deemed by SOMEONE that it "looks like a duck and quacks like a duck"
- Can not be proven to be purebred but deemed by SOMEONE that it looks like a pure bred pit bull
- Pit Bull deemed by SOMEONE to be pure bred because it looks like it is
- A shelter dog from the street whose origin is unknown but deemed by SOMEONE that it is an APBT
- A shelter dog of unknown origin deemed by SOMEONE to be purebred
- Any stray pit bull of unknown origin found and deemed by SOMEONE to be an APBT
- The term pit bull, pit bull terrier and similar semantics are interchangeable with the description American Pit Bull Terrier as long as SOMEONE deems that a dog is an APBT, regardless of whether the pedigree or origin is known or not
- ALMOST Every pit bull in a bred specific rescue
- ALMOST Every pit bull BAD RAP rescues
- ALMOST Every Vick dog
- If a purebred enthusiast recognizes that the dog they have fits the characteristics of its breed, that the other dogs they have seen/worked with/lived with that are registered and recognized officially also fit... then they can safely claim their dog as purebred.

*NOTE* "SOMEONE": Not just SOMEONE, but by someone who knows about the breed

Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Unonounaple

....good grief.....is it all that difficult?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
andreas

I think if you have a pedigree on any dog, you know for sure what the dog is whether it is an APBT, Rottweiler, GSD, etc. and knew and saw the parents yourself and know what kind of breeder you are getting the dog from. You do not have to have papers on some dogs to know it's purebred, though. Not all breeders who breed dogs have papers on their dogs.

Sure there are purebred APBTs out there that are not papered, rescues and shelters can only make a guess unless they have papers on a dog they do not know for sure. Just like someone who rescues a dog off the street, they can say it is an APBT, but don't know for sure. People who even purchase from BYBs can get duped that the 100 lb. parents that are blue are APBTs when they are not.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
CymnMaync

Well since there really isnt even a blood test that can be done to prove that your dog, even a purebred one, is a APBT, I go by the characteristics of the dog. Certain things, I think, are telling signs that there is a little "pit" in him. The walk (I love the funny waddle that a pit has), the tail, that head they got on em

I would honestly rather assume that if the dog has some of the characteristics of a pit in him that he is a pit then not. I honestly think if more people had to take the precautions that a responsible bully breed owner does there would be far less incidents and far more good news about this breed in general. Its very hard for the average person who knows nothing about the breed to distinguish a pit bull from an American bulldog (example there I have seen it happen). My husband is quick to label anything that looks like a pit bull a pit, but is astounded that I can on average look at a dog that is "purebred" and know what line he came from (Gotti is my least favorite BTW)

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

People who even purchase from BYBs can get duped that the 100 lb. parents that are blue are APBTs when they are not.
This drives me crazy to no end. I see ads on craigslist all of the time. "Registered Blue nose pit" with an obscene price tag. And then you look at the picture and its a red nose.
When will people realize that a "blue nose" or a "red nose" is a color characteristic of the dog, not a pedigree!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
anxpuna

(I love the funny waddle that a pit has), my dogs sure don't waddle...they walk with head held high and a very confident attitude with fluid grace.....never heard anyone use the term waddle when it comes to how their APBT moves.....

IMO......Purebred Pedigreed dog and Purebred and Registered as APBTand in some cases Not registered but has a provable written pedigree history as an APBT
All other choices are based on pure speculation and there is not proof...

Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
CymnMaync

my dogs sure don't waddle...that walk with head held high and a very confident attitude with fluid grace.....never heard anyone use the term waddle when it comes to how their APBT moves.....

IMO......Purebred Pedigreed dog and Purebred and Registered as APBTand in some cases Not registered but has a provable written pedigree history as an APBT
All other choices are based on pure speculation and there is not proof...

I have never seen an APBT purebred or not that doesnt have that little "seductive sway" to the hips
Whether or not it is speculation I would still rather people be overly cautious then not. Most people have no idea what they have on their hands until something bad happens and everyone else labels them and APBT

[/QUOTE]

Old 05-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Andromino

if my dogs ever waddled or swayed they got a bad rear end lol

Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
CymnMaync

Apparently what I am seeing and trying to put across isnt coming across very well. That or every dog I have ever seen, on the street, in shows and otherwise has a bad rear end.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
arrismVam

i think it is perhaps a perception thing? I notice the muscle tone in thier thighs when they move..if thats what you mean..but I see that on ANY dog that is healthy and has muscle.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Andromino

Apparently what I am seeing and trying to put across isnt coming across very well. That or every dog I have ever seen, on the street, in shows and otherwise has a bad rear end.
we just have no idea what youre talking about.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
anxpuna

I have never seen an APBT purebred or not that doesnt have that little "seductive sway" to the hips
Whether or not it is speculation I would still rather people be overly cautious then not. Most people have no idea what they have on their hands until something bad happens and everyone else labels them and APBT

I own 6 purebred APBT and show them all and have never seen a waddle, I agree with the bad rear problem if they do. Now I also own 5 American Bullies and they all waddle ...LMBO....Not sure what this was suppose to mean "Most people have no idea what they have on their hands until something bad happens and everyone else labels them and APBT" So if it waddles it is an APBT? I am not sure what shows you are attending but I am almost positive if you told a show person their dog waddles they would be highly offended.....

There you go Joe.....the answer to your question.....it is a "pit bull" if it waddles LMBO

Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
bQXHsKzS

Breeders will always know better than the public how their dogs are bred, not all breeders have a knack for breeding and those that sell puppies will always tell you that theirs are the best. The best way to ensure that you have a purebred is to work for free at a well known kennel, eyes and ears open and mouth shut, sooner or later you will receive the gift of a true bred dog for your effort.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
tramdoctorsss

[QUOTE=CelticKarma;1035446]I own 6 purebred APBT and show them all and have never seen a waddle, I agree with the bad rear problem if they do. Now I also own 5 American Bullies and they all waddle ...LMBO....Not sure what this was suppose to mean "Most people have no idea what they have on their hands until something bad happens and everyone else labels them and APBT" So if it waddles it is an APBT? I am not sure what shows you are attending but I am almost positive if you told a show person their dog waddles they would be highly offended.....

read up a few posts and you will see that she said her favorite (pits) were the ones from the gotti line. nuff said

Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
arrismVam

Actually..she said its her LEAST favorite. However..if she really does mean waddle perhaps she has her pit and bullies confused.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Favorite or least...I just want to point out that..gotti is NOT a pit line. I think its ambully

Old 05-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
85IbLcwQ

my dogs sure don't waddle...they walk with head held high and a very confident attitude with fluid grace.....never heard anyone use the term waddle when it comes to how their APBT moves.....
I see more of a cocky strut/trot. As if where ever they're walking, they've got business to attend to.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
tramdoctorsss

Actually..she said its her LEAST favorite. However..if she really does mean waddle perhaps she has her pit and bullies confused.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Favorite or least...I just want to point out that..gotti is NOT a pit line. I think its ambully
thank you for the correction SlayerGirl. and ad_shannon i do appologize for missreading what you wrote.
And yes, gotti is an am bully line

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #17
bQXHsKzS

Maybe she used the word waddle as a descriptive word in place of the word sway? Its all in ones perception and ability to describe what they see isnt it?

Some people look for the negative in every post to try to make others look bad as it makes them feel better about themselves, it never ceases to amaze me and if you follow some of the members posts you see it again and again...

Water of the ducks back is all I can say, lol.

NGK

Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #18
arrismVam

i think it is perhaps a perception thing? I notice the muscle tone in thier thighs when they move..if thats what you mean..but I see that on ANY dog that is healthy and has muscle.
was not involved in flaming just was stating the differences as they occured...if you read my qoute I tried to sway the convo positive.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #19
anxpuna

Well, to educate a little here.....Ad Shannon .....Gottie is not an American Pit Bull Terrier nor a "Pit Bull" Gottie lines are American Bullies ...

NGK....That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard, no real dog men would allow someone they do not know to just come work their yard for free or otherwise.

My advice even though it is off topic if your looking for a purebred APBT go to some shows hang out and meet people, do your research before buying a pup...

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

NGK, do you have a problem with me? If that comment was in reference to my post let me know.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #20
tramdoctorsss

I wasnt trying to trying to make anyone look bad. if you notice i did appologize for my missread

Reply to Thread New Thread