LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
pepBarihepe

Default Silly mutt
Alright, FYI, we keep our kibble in Milk Bone buckets like this one.

Yesterday, we had a few more friends over than we usually do at once so the house was a bit busy.
The dogs had gone for a walk and eaten dinner, we figured we'd go on one more walk after our friends left and then call it a night.
Well, for a few minutes I got so caught up in visiting and conversation that I wasn't paying much attention to the dogs.
I heard a strange noise coming from behind the entertainment stand (where the food and dishes are kept) so I peeked over to see who/what it was.

There's Bransen, head in the food bin.
I had just filled it up before giving them dinner, by the time I realized he'd opened it (don't ask me how) he had already eaten about 1/3 of the way down the bin.
I would say he ate at least 4-6x what he normally eats in a day, in just a few minutes!
Makes me wonder, if I hadn't noticed, how much would/could he have eaten?

You would think he'd have a belly ache or something, but nope. He's totally fine and would probably do it again should he get the chance.
Just wanted to share. Silly dog.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
carfAball

I'm sure Bentley would do the exact same thing.. He'd NEVER be able to free feed if I tried.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
ArrichMer

Jolene broke into the food bin (I use a Rubbermaid storage tub) just a few days before her first AKC show in Oregon. She ate so much and had just come out of heat, she looked like she was ready to drop a litter of 12! I was furious lol

Ruger has broken into the tub a few times, and he'll eat to where he literally cannot move... He has eaten 14 pounds of food at once before He was incredibly uncomfortable for DAYS... he has never eaten that much since, but he still will gorge himself if he gets the chance!

It's not like we starve these guys, so what gives? lol

Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
pepBarihepe

Yeah I tried free feeding Bransen as a pup because he was malnourished and I wanted him to put on as much weight as possible.
Not the best idea. You can't let a dog eat until it's full when it's a dog that is NEVER full.
My mom always says "You don't feed him enough - he's hungry" but she doesn't get that he's ALWAYS hungry.

Oh man, Teal that would suck about Jolene!

That's what I don't understand, how is he not feeling sick?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
johnbeller

lmao..silly pup. They sure can eat.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
UnmariKam

They INHALE it!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
appletango

Lol, hopefully he doesn't puke or anything... Roxie broke into her food once and of course she's the type of dog that CANNOT over-eat- if she eats even a kibble more than she's supposed to, she'll throw it up, lol. Bigger eyes than a stomach on that dog.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
carfAball

So are you supposed to make them throw it up or just let it pass?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
appletango

Usually I'd let it pass, unless the dog's got some medical condition in which too much food would endanger it's health.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
ArrichMer

So are you supposed to make them throw it up or just let it pass?

I let em suffer! lol I don't think it'll cause a blockage or anything... loose stools, sure.. but aside from that, I haven't seen any bad side affects other than discomfort for a few days, and suffering because I won't feed them until they look normal again LOL

Old 08-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
carfAball

Lol! I wasn't sure.. My guys' food is in Rubbermaid containers in the pantry (behind a closed door)

Old 08-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
pepBarihepe

You know, ignitethis, I thought he would as when he was younger if he ate too much or too fast he'd hurl.
So far the only "side effect" was he went #2 twice and it was more than usual.

As Teal said, let em suffer for their actions! I don't think you need to induce vomiting for kibble unless the dog has digestive/bowel issues to begin with.
I fed him breakfast as usual today and all seems well.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
Indoendris

LOL, One time I watched Chloe drag a 40lb bucket of food across the house trying to get into it. When she couldn't get the lid off she drug it into my room and guarded it from the other dogs. Dogs are so dumb.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
Mangoman

Oddly enough my dogs leave the food bins alone...but my cats are NOTORIOUS for breaking into their food bin (which is a rubbermaid bin) these cats would eat me out of house and home if I allowed them to lol

Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
UnmariKam

....If Trigger broke into his food bag.....I could imagine the burp that would follow immediately AFTER THAT feeding frenzy.....lol ...you should hear how he burps now after he eats!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
pepBarihepe

Yeah Bransen was belching all day yesterday, he had the farts too.
Our cats are pretty much free-fed their kibble and they don't seem to go through it too fast. They're not as big of pigs as the dogs.

Jade is the worst for getting into things, specifically things she shouldn't have.
Not long ago she had a three-day "binge" of getting into things.
First, she got into the bag of stuff I had set aside to take to my moms' and ate 2 packages of hot dogs.
The next day, she went into my duffle-bag, into a grocery bag and into yet another bag that was full of Turkey Jerky, at least that was for dogs.
The day after that, she jumped up on the counter (at my moms' house) and ate my brothers "cheese-dogs" off the plate, bread and all.
She was sick for a few days after that but I don't think she learned a thing. I caught her up on the counter yesterday looking for snacks.
You don't expect counter-surfing from a 12 year old dog, but Jade seems to defy age more so than any dog I've met.
Everyone thinks she is a puppy and Bransen is an old dog. He'll be 3 this October.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #17
vTLWqa1l

I got my dog food open cause the bag got torn and star stays put of the bag

Old 08-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
pepBarihepe

I hate leaving it open. If the dogs don't get into it, it gets stale and the bottom is powder when you reach it.
I hate that. Though it does make for a nice gravy.

Reply to Thread New Thread