LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #1
Grewlybreekly

Default Teeth + hand = OUCH
I was mowing the lawn tonight. Nick gets weird when I mow, he sure that noisy thing is going to get me. Every time I turn it off to dumb the bag, he's got to run over and make sure I'm okay.
Well, I shut of the mower to pick up a toy that Rosie had left in the yard....Nick saw it and decided it might be fun (he RARELY plays with toys)
He picked it up, then dropped it. I reached for it as he was diving for it again. He grabbed my hand, about an inch below the base of my index finger. Didn't break skin, but it really stung, and I'm glad I had gloves on, but I couldn't close my hand for a few minutes.
The second he realized he didn't have toy in his mouth, he let go, but it still hurt. And as much as I wanted to get mad at him, I couldn't. It was just as much my fault as it was his.
Kinda makes you realize just how much damage he could cause if he wanted to tho.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
kesFockplek

Aww must have gave both of you a scare. Glad you were not hurt..im sure he would feel miserable if he had hurt you though.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
gariharlj

Gaud.. been there and actually got good and bloody! lol I was playing fetch with Nyx and my friend was talking to me and distracting me so when she jumped for the stick, I moved my hand and she clamped right down on it. Umm... ya.... OUCH! lol

Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
QQQQQ-Trek

i've had that same thing happen while playin fetch with reno

Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
xpllmr

Gaud.. been there and actually got good and bloody! lol I was playing fetch with Nyx and my friend was talking to me and distracting me so when she jumped for the stick, I moved my hand and she clamped right down on it. Umm... ya.... OUCH! lol
Yeah, this is why I am so big on teaching the dogs not to jump for and grab toys from people. A few family members accuse me of "taking the dog out of them" by enforcing "silly rules" but I am a mother and between friends, family and neighbor kids coming over I think its a sane precaution. Can you imagine that type of scenario with a kid? As adults when playing with a dog you know there could be accidental teeth+skin, but with the way kids move and play and with how they might not clearly communicate to a dog they are done playing I get all paranoid and don't let the dogs grab anything not specifically handed to them.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
sam

Poor Nick, he almost commited a hug faux paux! And poor you too!

I've had a few near misses with V.; luckily she's always realized very quickly when it's my hand in her mouth and not the toy.

The worst though was the few times my hand (actually my wrist) collided with her teeth. My husband and I play this frantic "monkey in the middle" game with her sometimes when we want to tire her out and it's too cold or wet to go outside (basically keep away with a toy, and sometimes we let her get it and play tug and then back to keep away). Anyway a few times when we were both diving for the toy at the same time trying to "get it first" I have knocked my wrist against her teeth hard...and hit some sort of nerve (like hitting your funny bone). It happened to my husband a time or 2 too and he agrees, it's a pain that will almost drop you. Makes you realize how damn hard those teeth are!!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
xpllmr

And realizing that those teeth are hard and those jaws are powerful makes you love them all the more. Here is a beast that could rip you to shreds and it loves you, wouldn't want to hurt you and even may protect you. Kind of humbling.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
blackjackiisre

One day i was playin "tug" with Maybelline and she had a hold of her rope and i had the other end. I told her to "shake" the rope and the extra end of it swung around and hit me in the forearm. OUCH! It felt like i had slammed my arm into a metal rail. I dropped it immediately and grabbed my arm in pain. Poor Maybelline probably thought she was in trouble since i had turned around and was ignoring her bcuz it hurt so bad. After a few mins i looked at her and said "come on baby, moms arm hurts! lets go inside." she just stood there like, "We just got started!" Poor thing i know she still wanted to play. At least i didnt yell at her, it wasnt her fault, she was just playin. Im just glad it wasnt her teeth sinking into my arm.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
UJRonald

Glad your okay, people do not understand how much power an APBT has until they take a bite. I was playing with Nikki once with the flirt pole and the hide came back and wrapped around my leg, no lie it felt like I had been hit by a train. Of course when I yelled she let loose.

Had a puppy here a few weeks ago who loves to chase my feet when I am walking. I made the mistake to go out without my shoes.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
tipoketpu

And realizing that those teeth are hard and those jaws are powerful makes you love them all the more. Here is a beast that could rip you to shreds and it loves you, wouldn't want to hurt you and even may protect you. Kind of humbling.
GREAT post and something to think about!

My husband got a bruise on his hand when he failed to let go quickly of the rope toy on the end of the spring pole as Trigger excitedly jumped up to grab his rope toy..and part of his hand....he won't do that anytime soon again...

Old 07-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
Elitiachirl

Had a puppy here a few weeks ago who loves to chase my feet when I am walking. I made the mistake to go out without my shoes.
AH GOD i HATE puppies like that. shelby did that for a couple of days when she was a puppy.. my poor toes.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #12
Binuilienzync

Gouda grabbed my hand by mistake once. I was working out in the yard and he was on his chain hanging out near me. I had taken my work gloves off for some reason and he had taken one and started to chew on it. I took it back from him and (stupidly) put it back on my hand. He thought it was a toy and wanted to play so he went to take it back. He grabbed the glove with my hand in it and tried to play tug. It didn't hurt, it just felt like my hand was stuck in a vice or something but I had a hell of a time convincing him to let go. I have since trained him not to take anything from my hand unless I'm giving it to him.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
allemnendup

Yeah, that's gotta hurt!

We play rough with Bransen a lot because we all enjoy it and he's got great bite inhibition, so why not?
He won't do it with anyone but us and won't chomp me as hard as he gnaws on Thomas because he knows that Dad is tougher than Mom.

He's never bitten me hard, but once I had my fingers inside a Kong and he chomped down on it like he normally would.
That wasn't pleasant.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
Eromaveabeara

Something like that happened to my cousin when we were little. She went to throw the rope toy for my dalmatian and my dog jumped in the air like usual to grab the rope from the air but my cousin hadnt let go yet and her tooth caught my cousins finger and it popped open like an over stuffed stuffed animal. All the fat popped out.. I didnt know there was so much fat in the tip of your finger lol my dog felt so bad though, she immediately dropped the rope and she wouldnt play with my friends while my cousin and I went to find my mom.

Harleys got my husband a few times because my husband uses the kong as a tug toy (we have a rope for tug but he never wants to get it out and just sticks his fingers in to hole of the kong and uses that).. so its bound to happen and he knows it. Harley always drops the toy and sits and just stares for a minute even when my husband is encouraging him to keep playing.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #15
Jellowstrom

Definitely been there, done that. When Mollie was still a pup with baby teeth, I was holding a biscuit for her to gnaw on. I was watching something on TV and it got really intense right when she started chewing on it... a few minutes later, she chomped down on my thumb nail, clean through the nail down to skin. It bled like crazy and hurt so bad my eyes watered. I couldn't get mad at her though, it was completely my fault!

Several times while playing with Bella, she has jumped up to grab a toy and got my hand instead. She lets go, but not before it hurts like crazy!! When Mollie was a baby, when she would bite down on my daughters hands while playing, my daughter would holler and then bite her on the ear.... not enough to hurt her mind you, but enough that we taught her bite inhibition, without even knowing what we were teaching her. To this day, the instant she feels your skin, she releases. I can get her all riled up playing tug and stick my hand in her mouth and she instantly stops. It's amazing to see how well she does it, she has never once bitten down with any pressure at all when I try that hand in mouth trick, never. Granted, Bella would bite the heck outta me, then look at me like, "what???" when I yelled. She's such a total dork, I seriously think she has a constant mode of "huh?" swirling through her mind 24/7.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 AM   #16
feedcomnet

Been there, done that, got the shirt, etc etc.

My GSD is so crazy high ball drive I'm always getting bitten when we play ball. Even though she never maliciously bites me, she has a very hard mouth and the teeth are faster than her brain sometimes. Just hitting the bones on the back of my hand with her canines makes me see stars. No broken skin, not even a bruise sometimes but goddamn it hurts! Then there are the times that I really get nailed and she draws blood, YEOW. She split the cuticle on my pinky once. That took forever to heal. Then there was the time she bit my calf when I kicked the sleeve away... *sigh* I wanted a high drive dog... boy did I get it.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #17
18holesin

Yeah he would have. Star has felt bad after hurting someone by accident. Even the chi

Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #18
Lypepuddyu

I play with Bear like a normal dog, not to rough, but when my ex plays with him, all I have to say is "Get him Bear" and its on, he will go full force, but he wont use his mouth really, he will open it but hit him with the side of his head instead.
The really dangerous part of him is his dew claws, or as I call em, his thumbs, and little grabbers lol *insert wiggly thumbs here*

If I dont keep them cut and filed he will grab a hold so tight with them that he cut my ex's arm open really bad.

Although he has hit me with his teeth on my wrist bone, because I am skinny the little knob sticks out and that shit will drop me lol

Old 07-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #19
Kliopeion

That's how I feel. I've been caught a couple of times when Sandi was younger, opened my thigh up & drew blood on my hand a couple of times. Wrong place, wrong time & puppy enthusiasm. She is sooooo careful now knowing she has hurt me & I make sure she is under command when I'm reaching for stuff which she might lunge at, just in case..... It is a lesson in respect both ways, the dogs physical ability & loving intentions are a big part of why I love the breed. It still pays to keep your fingers out the way though.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
sam

Although he has hit me with his teeth on my wrist bone, because I am skinny the little knob sticks out and that shit will drop me lol
Is that all it is? I thought for sure there had to be some sort of nerve there that was getting hit because DAMN!! Does that HURT!! And it lingers too...it definitely requires time out recovery time!

Reply to Thread New Thread