LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
DJElizardo

Default Would You Rescue This Boy?
I'm not here looking for a rescue, I'm only here to ask an opinion of a dog in a local animal control. First, the county person who assesses dogs temp tested him. He came in emaciated, ground down teeth and cuts all over his muzzle and 3 double puncture wounds, two to one leg and one to the other.

The first county appointed temp tester said he was fine with humans. No cats. But he must have been either a fight or bait dog because the 6"3" assessor pulled out a bite stick and the dog flattened to the floor. That was the only criteria that he was a bait/fighting dog. I assessed him using Suzanne Clothier's CARAT method which I have been involved with for the past year, and I said the same thing. This is a confident dog who has so much social tolerance as well as being very social to strangers. So the last question for rescue would be how he does with other dogs. I tested him with 6 other dogs and finally tested the most dog aggressive dog we have which just happened to be a pit bull at the time. Again and again and again this dog chose to turn away.

For his neuter, the shelter vet aced him and placed him in a doorway. There is no timeframe mentioned, but at some point before his neuter, he lunged and grabbed the hind end of another dog. After that a volunteer came in close range (I heard stepped over him) and he grabbed her shoe but caused no damage.

The shelter vet actually wrote a letter saying that this dog shouldn't be placed with humans or dogs and has never seen a dog behave this way under heavy sedation. First, any written documentation of temperment without actually seeing the dog sober isn't fair. Not to mention that a vet who judges temperment under sedation has no business commenting on behavior in the first place. Any decent vet will tell you that dogs are the most unpredictable under the influence of ace.

My third comment has to do with a group that I will not name but is spreading lies about this dog being severely human aggressive (although the original temp tester was her husband who thought the dog was fine for rescue). This group has never seen this dog and never asked for the assessment videos to see true sober temperment. I am a dog trainer and also have over 75 hours this year alone in behavior seminars. Again, the group spreading these rumors has never even cared to come and meet him. Is there anyone out there that can help. I am willing to take this guy into my home of 5 personal dogs and 3 fosters with a slow intro because I know this guy will be amazing. So again, any rescue that wants to see the truth on video, I have it and any rescue that will help me, I hope I show how convinced in my behavioral assessment I am by putting him with 8 other dogs. Not right away, but he can do it.

Joanne

Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
PharmaDrMan

From what you have described, and if you have the patience and resources to handle this - yes, I would rescue him, if I were in your shoes.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
sanddrareyk

from what I have read about dogs under anethisia they can tend to hallucinate when coming out of it.. now whether that is true or not I have NO IDEA but if you have the resources and are willing to spend time with the dog in a calmer setting its worth seeing how he truley acts. Sounds like this poor guy has had it rough and not really getting to show his true self

Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
DJElizardo

That's the point is that I have assessend this dog 6 times under more and more stress and all he does is cuddle. You are correct that dogs hallucinate when coming out of sedation although I think that's more related to anesthesia. However, if you read up on Ace, it's a tranq and if a dog is properly sedated then they shouldn't be able to move. That being said, if a dog was able to stand up and bite another dog, obviously the ace amount was enough to confuse him and blur his vision but not enough to restrain him. Please...research how terriers handle ace as well as how sedation affects every animal diffently.

Oh, and if anyone is serious about finding a rescue, I have videos of his assessment.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
autoloanexpert

I think shelter temperament testing is kind of BS anyway. Dogs in shelters are usually stressed and some react better to a situation than they would when not stressed. Some act worse. Once a dog has a home, foster or permanent, and had time to settle in its possible a whole range of behavior issues will pop up. All dogs are a gamble and at best the typical shelter eval just weeds out the real nutty ones. So, yeah, I would give this dog a chance and see how he behaves after a few months in a home setting.

---------- Post added at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

And the next person who says bait dog should be smacked. I know plenty of APBT that have worn and broken their teeth to nubs chewing crazy things like rocks or their chains if they were on chain spots. I know a few who have scars from attacking trees, trying to get under decks and fences to kill vermin and who have puncture wounds and scars from rough play or an accidental fight because of an escape or an owner who wasn't expecting DA. Considering the dog was brought to AC he could have easily been a stray from a neglectful or abusive home and in the condition he was in from trying to survive on the streets. DA being common in the breed, he could have gotten into a scuffle with another stray or someones pet. I know for a fact 3 of my dogs were not abused because I have owned them since they were babies and if a 6'3" man brandished a stick at them they would cower

Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
PypeDeft

Yes.I feel this dog could be rescued.I have seen dogs come out of sedation and act VERY out of charachter.Remember,the dog is ''drugged''.Drugs alter human personailties,so why not a dogs.The dog might feel strange and perhaps vulnerable under sedation.It might have had a reaction to the seditive.I would not hold a dog responsible for what it does under sedation,unless it also shows the behaviours OUTSIDE of being sedated.
The dog ideally should be placed in a breed savvy home,probably no cats/dogs,and older children.DA is normal for bulldogs and their mixes(as well as many other breeds).Human social is a good thing.So many out there with nervy/unstable temperments.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Elitiachirl

typical of the shelter. depending on how easily handle able he would be, yes i would def adopt him. shelters dont seem to understand that dog aggression isnt freakin human aggression. BUT. the chance of the dog being adopted out to someone ignorant to the breeds genetics, with piss poor handling skills, is very high. so id rather the dog be euth than go through more pain of getting in trouble per the owners stupidity, being passed around from person to person, or euth in a more stressful situation.

Reply to Thread New Thread