LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
abubycera

Default So excited... thank you guys.
I wanted to say thanks to everybody for telling me to wise up and find a new vet not too long ago.

My old vet put Bonnie on a course of antibiotics and when it didn't help her incontinence, he told me "too bad, so sad" and to get dog diapers. Well, I got a second opinion and was given a prescription for Proin (Phenylpropanolamine). For the last week or so she has been on 75mg a day.

Two weeks ago, she was CONSTANTLY dripping. She was literally never not dripping. She would sit down for five minutes and leave a big, wet, puddle. She had to spend most of her time outside or sitting in one spot on a towel. Well, for the last four days she was been 100% totally DRIP FREE. I cannot even explain how happy I am. I thought we were going to have to make her an outside dog... I have no problem with outside dogs, but Bonnie is my first dog that is really mine, she's really something special and I like to have her with me as much as I can. She's a BYB dog and never health tested so I don't know how much time I'll have with her so I want to enjoy every moment, and I would feel like time was being wasted if she was always outside.

I really appreciate the advice, and Bonnie appreciates not having to stay outside 24/7 in this terrible weather.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

BTW she gets to sleep in the bed tonight in celebration... lol. But she better not get used to it!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
ENCOSEARRALIA

good to hear man, thats gotta make life ALOT easier. make sure you call your old vet and let him know how shes doing.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
TeNuaTe

Glad to hear you found a solution for Bonnie's problem, imagine how excited Bonnie probably is to not have to deal with that now too.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Yarmark

WHOO!!! Thats so awesome I bet Bonnie is one happy dog !!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
Lictimind

Old 10-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
abubycera

good to hear man, thats gotta make life ALOT easier. make sure you call your old vet and let him know how shes doing.
I already did. He told me I should have put her on Science Diet C/D (or it might have been Z/D, I don't know) and it would have helped. I don't know, but he didn't tell me that before, and he peddles Science Diet like it's going out of style.

Glad to hear you found a solution for Bonnie's problem, imagine how excited Bonnie probably is to not have to deal with that now too.
WHOO!!! Thats so awesome I bet Bonnie is one happy dog !!
Oh yeah, Bonnie's really a happier dog now. I don't know that it's because she's not leaking anymore, or if it's because now she's inside more and not forced to sit in one place on a towel when she's in... probably both.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Plonnikas

That is great!!! How old is she?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
abubycera

She's only 9 and a half months. Poor pup's had incontinence problems since we got her. (Before her spay.)

Old 10-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Plonnikas

Oh ok, thought she was older. I hope she continues to do well!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
abubycera

Oh ok, thought she was older. I hope she continues to do well!
No, she's just a pup from a BYB who bred his "nice pets" so problems are to be expected! (Especially since she's a Dobe, not a real healthy breed.)
Thanks!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Yarmark

Cliff.. quick question, why havnt you added more pictures??? HMMMMM??? I love me some floppy eared dobies and I havnt seen enough pictures on here at all...

Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
KimLinbert

Good to know! Piper's dealing with some of the same issues (has been since March).. but hers isn't as severe. It's very sporadic and random.. she'll go a month with no issues, then bam, giant puddle under her as she's sleeping. Just had her at my vet the other day for it actually.. we're not going to do anything yet since it's so random, just keep an eye on her. But good to hear someone having good results with the Proin.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
wllsqyuipknczx

What made her drip? Kinda curious about these things since i own a female and want to keep a mental file of female problems just in case I have to deal with them.

I am happy that you got her dried up and she is free to hang out anywhere without ruining your upholstery

This makes me think of my dogs. I go to a vet practice owned by one vet with 3 others working for her. I went in for Owen over the course of 2 weeks and saw all of them because I was making appointments based on when they could fit us in. Between 3 vets we got 3 different diagnosis and 3 different treatment plans. Then I had to take Rita in for her allergies/ear infection and got a different vet than who treated her last year. Again, different treatment. Didn't work and we're going back this weekend. I have basically decided to see one of the vets for Owens orthopedic (sp?) issues because she got it spot on and fixed the problem after a single visit and a different vet at the same practice for Rita's issues because that vet seems better with allergies and infections. Thank all thats good Ike is healthy or I'd probably be seeing a 3rd vet for him

Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
VowJoyday

Glad to hear she is doing better. Congratulations.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
erelvenewmeva

Yeah, that Proin is magic. It did wonders for my buddy's pit bull mix who didn't have any control over the sphincter in her bladder. Poor dog (and poor people), she liked to sneak into their bed at night, and they'd all wake up in a huge piss puddle.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
abubycera

Cliff.. quick question, why havnt you added more pictures??? HMMMMM??? I love me some floppy eared dobies and I havnt seen enough pictures on here at all...
I'll try to get some today It's hard to take pictures inside and they haven't been spending much time outside lately, with the weather so bad. But I have a lot of outside work today so I'll try to get a shot or two. She got a new collar too... the last one I'll be able to afford for a while but with Stillwaters you don't need to replace them!

Good to know! Piper's dealing with some of the same issues (has been since March).. but hers isn't as severe. It's very sporadic and random.. she'll go a month with no issues, then bam, giant puddle under her as she's sleeping. Just had her at my vet the other day for it actually.. we're not going to do anything yet since it's so random, just keep an eye on her. But good to hear someone having good results with the Proin.
Good luck with her. I know it's not fun for dog or owner to go through. But you get through it.

What made her drip? Kinda curious about these things since i own a female and want to keep a mental file of female problems just in case I have to deal with them.

I am happy that you got her dried up and she is free to hang out anywhere without ruining your upholstery

This makes me think of my dogs. I go to a vet practice owned by one vet with 3 others working for her. I went in for Owen over the course of 2 weeks and saw all of them because I was making appointments based on when they could fit us in. Between 3 vets we got 3 different diagnosis and 3 different treatment plans. Then I had to take Rita in for her allergies/ear infection and got a different vet than who treated her last year. Again, different treatment. Didn't work and we're going back this weekend. I have basically decided to see one of the vets for Owens orthopedic (sp?) issues because she got it spot on and fixed the problem after a single visit and a different vet at the same practice for Rita's issues because that vet seems better with allergies and infections. Thank all thats good Ike is healthy or I'd probably be seeing a 3rd vet for him
It was a lack of sphincter control. Not so much a "health problem" as she just couldn't control herself. Apparently it's pretty unusual at her age, but it could be due to her bad breeding OR because she ate a bunch of rat poison when she was younger and it left an effect on her system... But as long as it's cured I don't care much what started it!

That sounds like a complicated situation... I don't think I've ever heard of so many vets working at the same practice.

Yeah, that Proin is magic. It did wonders for my buddy's pit bull mix who didn't have any control over the sphincter in her bladder. Poor dog (and poor people), she liked to sneak into their bed at night, and they'd all wake up in a huge piss puddle.
That's what it was with Bonnie. Fortunately she knew her boundaries pretty well, but regardless, our carpet will never be the same. It's not too terrible though because we bought a new carpet a few months back that we were waiting to potty train her (and then found out about the incontinence) to install, so it's not like the stains are gonna be there for long.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
SerycegeBunny

If Proin did not work there is always D.E.S. That you start off giving once a day for 4-5 days and them you go to twice a week.

Not sure where the hell that vet went to school. Did he ever do a urinalysis? If so did he tell you what he saw. Bacteria, crystals. Not uncommon for dogs to has UTIs. And that is why the course of antibiotics.

And if he would have saw crystals C/D would have been an appropriate food. So would have been Royal Canin Urinary SO. As well as one of the Purina Veterinary Diets.

See you can try and talk shit about their maintainence diets that is fine. However any of the Prescription diets are a completely different ball game. I will stand by the Rx diets because my knowledge is hands on and how they do work. Not what I have read online from people who have no real knowledge. Just more people regurgitating what they have read.

I have seen those diets save lives, prolong lives, prevent surgeries. I have also seen clients and their pets who did not feed the prescription diet the dog/cat needed and how the pet deteriated. The Rx diets are formulated for a specific medical condition. I have also seen them disolve bladder stones so the dog did not need surgery. Animals who have kidney disease have to have a lower protien diet. And K/D is formulated for that. However at work we have a book for homemade diets that are formulated for medical conditions too. Do not confuse any of the Rx diets with the maintenance diets 2 very different things.

And Z/D is an allergy diet. Not sure how you mixed those 2 up.

And MJ there is nothing wrong with seing different Vets for different needs. At my hospital we have 3 and they all have certain areas that they are great in. One is excellent in Ortho, we have one that is great at internal medicine and skin. And one that is great in soft tissue surgeries. And a good practice should have that because they all compliment each other.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
Super-Luser

I'm glad Bonnie's "issue" is under control now Gypsy had some incontinence issues about a year ago and the Proin helped her within just the first few days.

I haven't given her any of it in a long time, probably more that six months (she was starting to act like she didn't feel well on the days I'd give her the Proin) and she hasn't had any problems. I still have a half a bottle left so I figure I can always start her back on it if the issue ever comes up again.

I'm not a huge SD fan either, especially not for daily maintenance, but I have to agree with Cynthia, some of the prescription diets are really good. I've seen the changes in sick dogs when they are put on the special diets. Sure, I'm sure going with a raw diet or something could make a difference too, but not everyone wants to go that route.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
wllsqyuipknczx

Cliff and Cynthia, I actually like the practice. We live in an urban-ish area and there are plenty of vets around. The practice I go to has a total of 4 and even with that many vets working they are booked all day but still manage to fit people in for emergencies and they are willing to do payment arrangements, so I know if something pricey comes up I can still have the pets treated and pay it off over time. Plus they are close to my house.

The one vet who see's Owen is great with bone problems and understands that Bassets are a lot like big dogs in short dogs bodies as far as health concerns. However, I wasn't too impressed with her treatment of Rita's ears.

The other vet graduated with specialties in micro-biology and studied bacteria and infection extensively. I love her treatment of Rita's ears. Last year, she cleared us up right quick. If you call 6 weeks quick, but a lot of that had to do with what a mess Rita was when we "adopted" her from my brother and how long the infection was present (8 months of her then 1.5 year life!). I didn't expect it to be gone overnight.

In addition, they all have great bedside manner and have kept up on continuing education for at least nutrition, spay/neuter, vaccination protocol.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
SerycegeBunny

I'm glad Bonnie's "issue" is under control now Gypsy had some incontinence issues about a year ago and the Proin helped her within just the first few days.

I haven't given her any of it in a long time, probably more that six months (she was starting to act like she didn't feel well on the days I'd give her the Proin) and she hasn't had any problems. I still have a half a bottle left so I figure I can always start her back on it if the issue ever comes up again.

I'm not a huge SD fan either, especially not for daily maintenance, but I have to agree with Cynthia, some of the prescription diets are really good. I've seen the changes in sick dogs when they are put on the special diets. Sure, I'm sure going with a raw diet or something could make a difference too, but not everyone wants to go that route.
Raw is not the cure all for every medical condition. Considering there has never been controlsd studies with it. And especially with every medical condition. With those companies they do controled studies on each Rx diet. And the Rx diets are proven to work. Again I am not a fan of the maintenance diets HOWEVER like I said the Rx ones have their place.

And Hill's is not the only Rx food out there. Royal Canin, Purina, and Iams.

Reply to Thread New Thread