LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
gueremaisse

Anyone on hear have one I'm really intrested in these dogs since I learned so much about the Apbt here maybe someone on hear can teach me about this breed. I also don't trust Wikipedia or a quick google search since its most likey wrong
I have a PB catahoula Leopard dog mix.
She is my 4th pitbull and my only mix I have owned.
She is an absolute delight.
She has all the PB traits...super athletic super loving happy go lucky.
Very strong fast and agile.
Her coat is beautiful she is brown with black merle and spotted markings.
I adopted her at 11 months old. She has been very well behaved since I got her. Not much training needed and she was found running wild on the street of North carolina at 3 months old. She spent 5 months in the dog shelter and then was trucked up to connecticut and lived in a foster home for 3 months.
This dog is wonderful. I couldn't have asked for a better temperment.
What I have read about Catahoula Leopard Dogs is at about 2 years old they can become over protective of their owners and the family.
I have attached some pictures...they aren't the best, but you can an idea of her coloring.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
Hrennilasi

I have had two Catahoulas and one day when my life is better suited to it I will get another, hopefully down from Matjevis' Conch dogs. I knew her and the dogs were great, I think she would have had more CHs after Cayo but she died suddenly and the dogs were dispersed. My uncle uses the breed as stock/hog dogs and occasionally breeds for himself and friends who need workers, but just scatter bred dogs, most aren't NALC or ACA regd. Stellar animals that I adore, but they make pit bulls seem pretty biddable and well, basic.

Oh and interesting note on terminology- it's Dog not Hound (I see/hear hound a lot) Cur is okay too. & most people in the LCLDS world do not use the word Merle. It's leopard. Grey leopard, blue leopard, red lep...you can also have tris, brindled, blacks, livers, patchworks. They are rainbows. The blue eyes are called glass in lieu of blue, and if they are shot with blue it's called cracked. For example, my first female was a grey lep with one amber eye and one cracked eye. My second was a red with double glass eyes.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
erelvenewmeva

Default Catahoula Leopard Dog
Anyone on hear have one I'm really intrested in these dogs since I learned so much about the Apbt here maybe someone on hear can teach me about this breed. I also don't trust Wikipedia or a quick google search since its most likey wrong

Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
CuittisIL

I'm seeing lots of these dogs in the shelters lately. I was actually going to make a post about it. Backyard breeders are breeding them with pit bulls to get merle coats. I wouldn't be surprised if Catahoulas were the next big trend

They are great dogs. We think Peanut, who's up for adoption, is a pit bull/catahoula mix:

I'm also thinking about pulling this pup from a kill shelter:

Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
erelvenewmeva

Merle dogs I'm such a sucker for them regaurdless of breed actually I look them up on pet find in my area and there were a couple its kinda funny because I'm in southern california and these dogs are NOT common here so I have to agree that they are being used to get the merle gene in with the BYB pit bulls *sigh* how unfortunate.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
CuittisIL

They are a herding and hunting dog often times used for wild boar hunting. My family is big into hunting, I'm not, but I know it's common to mix APBT in the line when breeding dogs for boar hunting. I have found their temperaments are very similar. Catahoula's often hunt in groups of 3 or more, so dog aggression is not a desired trait and not something they're bred for. They originated in Lousiana and they are actually the state dog. I'm a fan of the breed but they do require strong owners that are willing to spend a lot of time with them. They are working dogs and are very driven, so they do well with training. In my opinion they are an intelligent, loyal breed. The ones I've known personally were great with kids, even toddlers. Also, they are commonly protective of their families.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
highattainlet

A buddy of mine has two Catahoula leopard dogs, both of his boys came from a shelter as litter mates. They are awesome dogs, extremely intelligent. They are a bit high energy and like to have a job. His dogs work on his farm and help him out with his daily chores of bringing in the pigs, cattle, ducks, sheep, goats, etc. Also to keep predators away. would love to have one if I had the time, energy, and land for one.

But yes BYBer are breeding pits to these dogs to get "merle pits" which I find both devastating and disgusting. "Merle pits" are popping up all around MD/PA/DE/VA right now. I assume most are coming from the puppy mills up in PA. Recently I saw a few for sale on eBay Classifieds, for $3000.00 because they are "OMG the most rarest of rare pits out there from long lines of specially marked rare coated pits". LMAO & GAG! Although I would think that mix would pop out some great house family dogs, but I would not get one from a "breeder".

Old 10-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
erelvenewmeva

Yes there's also thee Catahoula Bulldog which is a mix of Catahoula/American bulldog orginally for hunting boar but probably will become very popular because "oh a bulldog with blue eyes!" Ugh how annoying!! But I'm looking into these dogs I'd love to own some in the future

Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
highattainlet

Yes there's also thee Catahoula Bulldog which is a mix of Catahoula/American bulldog orginally for hunting boar but probably will become very popular because "oh a bulldog with blue eyes!" Ugh how annoying!! But I'm looking into these dogs I'd love to own some in the future
UGH this just broke my heart due to American bulldogs being my top favorite breed of dog, ever! Some pure American bulldogs are born with a blue eye or eye's although those are known to be a cosmetic fault in the show ring.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
erelvenewmeva

UGH this just broke my heart due to American bulldogs being my top favorite breed of dog, ever! Some pure American bulldogs are born with a blue eye or eye's although those are known to be a cosmetic fault in the show ring.
Yeah true but they don't come in "rare merle"

Old 10-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
ChebuRAtoR

go to a boar hunting fourm.. youll get a bunch more info there.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
asypecresty

my mom has one,i just love her.she is the smartest dog ever.not smart like "well behaved and easy to train",but the kind of smart that where she can figure stuff out on her own.i would really like to own this breed,but in a more rural setting.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #13
Plonnikas

I don't personally have them, but have been around quite a few from working at the shelter I work at.

I have noticed they are very drivey and every single one of them I have met love playing ball.

They are definately one of my favorite breeds and one of the breeds I would like to own someday. They are incredibly smart too and VERY active.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #14
leangarance

Not full catahoula, I believe shes mixed with American Bulldog, 75 lbs in good shape, but as much as ive read & the few times ive met other purebreds Litas temperament fits. Great guardian, aloof but tolerant of most strangers (though some are automatically loved...shes a strange dog) very territorial, ive heard they can be high energy, but shes very mellow, and a few others ive met have been as well. Ive also read their prone to being DA, which she is, but only to dogs outside her family, and even then its very easily managed. I can also say she is a brilliant dog, but again, kinda odd sometimes. I plan to have a purebred or another American bulldog/catahoula as my next dog.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #15
erelvenewmeva

Not full catahoula, I believe shes mixed with American Bulldog, 75 lbs in good shape, but as much as ive read & the few times ive met other purebreds Litas temperament fits. Great guardian, aloof but tolerant of most strangers (though some are automatically loved...shes a strange dog) very territorial, ive heard they can be high energy, but shes very mellow, and a few others ive met have been as well. Ive also read their prone to being DA, which she is, but only to dogs outside her family, and even then its very easily managed. I can also say she is a brilliant dog, but again, kinda odd sometimes. I plan to have a purebred or another American bulldog/catahoula as my next dog.

Can I have it jk

Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 AM   #16
Caluabdum

Backyard breeders are breeding them with pit bulls to get merle coats.
Excuse me! With all due respect, until you know every single breeder/owner of merle pit bulls that is an outright LIE & I find it most repugnant! Now I will agree with the statement that *some* BYB's have bred in CLD to obtain what they call merle pit bulls, but to say ALL of us who have merle pit bulls ...

a. Have mixed bred dogs

b. Are engaging in mixing

c. Are BYBs

is NOT always true & to assume so quite rude & MOST offensive!

But to get back to the OP, try this site. If you are interested in the CLD it should help as it is quite reliable & most informative:

http://www.abneycatahoulas.com/

Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 AM   #17
CuittisIL

Excuse me! With all due respect, until you know every single breeder/owner of merle pit bulls that is an outright LIE & I find it most repugnant! Now I will agree with the statement that *some* BYB's have bred in CLD to obtain what they call merle pit bulls, but to say ALL of us who have merle pit bulls ...
I did not say all merle pit bulls came from backyard breeders. This is what I said "I'm seeing lots of these dogs in the shelters lately. I was actually going to make a post about it. Backyard breeders are breeding them with pit bulls to get merle coats."

Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 AM   #18
Lictimind

I'm seeing lots of these dogs in the shelters lately. I was actually going to make a post about it. Backyard breeders are breeding them with pit bulls to get merle coats. I wouldn't be surprised if Catahoulas were the next big trend

They are great dogs. We think Peanut, who's up for adoption, is a pit bull/catahoula mix:

I'm also thinking about pulling this pup from a kill shelter:
^^^ That is an awesome looking dog!! let us know if you end up getting him,I want lots of pics!

Old 10-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #19
Caluabdum

You didn't? Here is your post as you yourself quoted it:

I did not say all merle pit bulls came from backyard breeders. This is what I said "I'm seeing lots of these dogs in the shelters lately. I was actually going to make a post about it. Backyard breeders are breeding them with pit bulls to get merle coats."
(My bold)

That seems like a pretty cut & dried statement to me. You did not say some merles come from BYBs who have bred in CLD to get the merle coats. You didn't even most merles come from BYBs that bred in CLD to get the merle coats (both statements which BTW I would agree with). You made a flat, broad brush statement that MERLES (not some merles, not most merles, but merles as a whole) are the products of BYBs who bred in CLD. It is right there in your very own quote, which I again will say is pretty darn offensive, especially if you don't even know the person/dogs whom you are talking about.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #20
CuittisIL

You didn't? Here is your post as you yourself quoted it:

(My bold)

That seems like a pretty cut & dried statement to me. You did not say some merles come from BYBs who have bred in CLD to get the merle coats. You didn't even most merles come from BYBs that bred in CLD to get the merle coats (both statements which BTW I would agree with). You made a flat, broad brush statement that MERLES (not some merles, not most merles, but merles as a whole) are the products of BYBs who bred in CLD. It is right there in your very own quote, which I again will say is pretty darn offensive, especially if you don't even know the person/dogs whom you are talking about.
I did not say this is where all merle dogs come from. No where did I say "ALL merles." If you take out that one sentence out of my paragraph it changes the context. I was trying to convey that I'm noticing in shelters backyard breeders are surrendering litters of pit bull/catahoula mixes because they were trying to get merle coats. That does not mean that's where all merles come from and I don't think I implied that if you read the whole paragraph.

Reply to Thread New Thread