LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
xT0U3UGh

Default PTS or not?
Ok, I was wondering if say..

You was playing rough with your dog.. (pulling him back by his tail, kicking him back with your foot, slapping his face).. if you went to pull his tail and he turned around and bit you in the face (tearing skin).. say, you didn't mean to hurt him.. was just playing around, but did hurt him and he bit you.. would you have him PTS or leave it as your fault and leave it alone? Say, the dog never has been aggressive before this!!

I watched something like this happen last night.. I do not know the dog nor the person (they just moved into the area).. he was playing rough with his dog, his dog turned around and bit him in the face... (just happens to be a pitbull mix).. a couple of other men came running to them and one grabbed the dog and started jerking him around.. I just knew they were going to kill the dog.. but the owner jumped up and pulled the man off his dog and started yelling *its my fault.. I must have hurt him.. *.. (I was a good 50 feet from them so by the time I got to them, the man was already trying to get it under control).. I talk to him for a bit, the dog has never even growled at anyone before.. he said they play rough all the time, but the dog stops when he says to.. he thinks he must have hurt the dog that time and the dog reacted. The dog was really sweet with me. He even seemed as if he was asking the owner to forgive him. (the owner has 4 good sized spots on his face from where the dog bit him).The owner refused to go to the doctors for treatment because he was afraid they'd take the dog to be euthanized because he was a pitbull mix.

I was just wondering what you would do if this was the case for you? I, personally, would not have the dog PTS.. If the dog bit out of no where, or had signs on aggression, Yes, but since the dog was just acting out of pain, no! I would how ever - stop playing like that, and not allow anyone else to play like that with him.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Cibirrigmavog

Well, if the dog was dead serious, and not just whipping around and accidentally biting too hard - mine have done this... then yes, that dog wouldn't live anymore.

A dog knows the difference between playing and being attacked, especially from it's handler. If playing rough gets the dog so excited it loses it's head and attacks, yeah, still a dead dog.

Did the dog actually ATTACK is my question.. or did it just (as said) whip around and accidentally do more than it meant to?

Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
xT0U3UGh

It's hard to say from so far away.. but it looked to me like it was just a whip around.. as soon as the dog did it, he stopped and layed down. it wasn't like he kept on at it.. he did it and dropped to the ground.. once it was all said and done, the dog kept licking the owners face - tail wagging and all!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
dicemets

I don't know about you but I wouldn't go pulling their tail kicking them in the face etc. IMO that's asking for it. Did the the dog growl first? If yes id say your neighbor got what he deserved. He could have really hurt the dog. I wouldn't PTS instantly id go thru some serious NILIF training and working more on rebuilding the relationship does you're neighbor have children?. That would be my.main concern. If the dog is showing serious signs of aggression then yes PTS

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

It's hard to say from so far away.. but it looked to me like it was just a whip around.. as soon as the dog did it, he stopped and layed down. it wasn't like he kept on at it.. he did it and dropped to the ground.. once it was all said and done, the dog kept licking the owners face - tail wagging and all!
Sounds to me like an accident. You're neighbor has to be more careful.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
xT0U3UGh

I dont know if the dog growled.. but I am sure he did. The owner says he's never showed any signs of aggression. I'd say the dog is about 5-6 years old..

He does have a daughter - he was telling me how her and the dog were best friends.

I agree on not pulling his tail and stuff.. I told the man the same thing..

I wonder if he knows what NILIF is.. (I didnt for the longest). maybe I should suggest that to him!

Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
9TWSg835

Sounds to me like the guy was being an idiot. The dog probably did it on accident, but being a strong dog that was excited, hurt the man. I dont rough play with my dogs for this reason. I do teach them tolerance of it but I never want them to think its ok to be rough with a human.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
dicemets

Sounds to me like the guy was being an idiot. The dog probably did it on accident, but being a strong dog that was excited, hurt the man. I dont rough play with my dogs for this reason. I do teach them tolerance of it but I never want them to think its ok to be rough with a human.
Exactly you have to be firm. Not stupid with your dogs. Pulling their.tail and kicking them in the face is beyond overboard.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
Cibirrigmavog

Me and my dogs wrestle like.. well dogs. He loves it, I grab his tail, shove him around, pull his ears, we bite, roll around and go at it - he LOVES it and I am the one to call it off because he'd keep going until I passed out from exhaustion.

Not saying this dog was like it, but I assume the owner wouldn't do it after owning the dog until it was five (I guess he's had it that long, if he said it's never shown aggression?) if he knew the dog didn't like it. By the description, the dog immediately laying down and cowering, he did it by accident, even if he did mean to snap at the guy, he didn't mean to bite him by the sounds of it.

Jaeger has caught me by surprise, he's put my teeth through my lips and broken my nose, left welts on every bit of me - by accident, he's fast, and clumsy..

I really wouldn't make a call, now, unless I was there.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
tomsmuidh

^^ Yep. We too do not allow our dogs to rough house with us... but they are tolerant of most things (then again we haven't really yanked on their tails or kicked at them lol). But I agree that it was the owners fault and the dog let him know to stop. So my answer would be not to pts. A dog that bites is almost always a reaction to something else.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
xT0U3UGh

Ya, I played with Tinkerbell like that.. and play with Bandit somewhat like that (both will play rough with my husband but neither will play rough with me.. they play but never even teethe at my arms - not like my husband).. I guess they know the difference between men and women!?

Bandit has never hurt me (other than his nails) - not even on accident - he is overly easy with me.

Tinkerbell busted my head open once (well I busted it open playing with her, but she thought it was her fault).. after that - she wouldnt dare play with me at all! and I tried!

Boston - I miss you!!! What do you mean teach them tolerance? How do you teach them tolerance? (I guess I've taught mine in just our every day thing?!)

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Now, my husband wrestles with them - he grabs their tail but never pulls.. (kind of like tug their ear then grab the tail and let go thing). he also pushes their bottoms with his hands turning them in a circle.. they are so funny when they play with him.. hopping this way and that way.. but I am constantly stopping them.. lol (I guess I am over protective)..

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

I did ask the guy how he would feel if I grabbed his tail bone and yanked it.. he said he would have punched me.. (I think he got the point).. but he never once blamed the dog.. which I found odd! Most, being in pain, would blame the dog.. and I actually expected him to.. but he didn't!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
blogforloversxx

.. he was playing rough with his dog, his dog turned around and bit him in the face... .
Did the dog actually bite or did the guy's face just happen to be in the way of the dog's mouth when the dog whipped around to playfully grab at whatever was back there grabbing HIM?

I know I'VE just gotten in the way of teeth and those teeth just bumping into flesh can leave marks....

Carla

Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
9wQlZkIj

The dog didn't mean it. No need to put him down. I've had a couple of scratches on my face myself from roughhousing with my dog. People at work tell me the dog will kill me But he has never meant to hurt me. As soon as he hurt me, he gives me his belly or goes on 'super lick mode' to try to appease me. I don't kick my dog tho, nor pull his tail. That guy should tone it down a little. Oh, and stop roughhousing in public. That is asking for trouble. Imaging if AC had seen that.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
xT0U3UGh

Did the dog actually bite or did the guy's face just happen to be in the way of the dog's mouth when the dog whipped around to playfully grab at whatever was back there grabbing HIM?

I know I'VE just gotten in the way of teeth and those teeth just bumping into flesh can leave marks....

Carla
No, the dog bit! It's not scratch like marks.. its puncture wounds.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Oh, and stop roughhousing in public. That is asking for trouble. Imaging if AC had seen that.
I totally agree!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
ftpsoft

Yeah no way would I put a dog down for reaction to human error/provocation, that doesn't make any sense IMO.
Waste of a perfectly good dog.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
TeapseTic

Good answer.

I would just add that I sometimes rough house with my dog to a point; if I see her starting to get too wound up...we take a time out - which I think is good practice to teach impulse control and shifting from one state to another - aroused to relaxed.

That said; I think it also depends upon the individual dog and it's temperment. Some dogs can be wired in such a way that they get super stimulated and have a harder time de-escalating. When a dog is highly aroused, it is not thinking...it is reacting.

So...some dogs will enjoy rough housing; other's can't handle it. It is up to the owner to know their dog and not set it up for failure by putting it in a situation that it is not equipped to handle; imo.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
LongaDonga

Well, if the dog was dead serious, and not just whipping around and accidentally biting too hard - mine have done this... then yes, that dog wouldn't live anymore.

A dog knows the difference between playing and being attacked, especially from it's handler. If playing rough gets the dog so excited it loses it's head and attacks, yeah, still a dead dog.

Did the dog actually ATTACK is my question.. or did it just (as said) whip around and accidentally do more than it meant to?
Agreed.

I will say its super easy to get scratches and bumps and bruises from playing with big strong dogs though. I was playing with Scout with some long stalks of grass the other night and my fingers are now all bruised because she got excited and overshot, ramming my fingers with her snout. My own fault for playing with her without an appropriate toy.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
Ankeseiband

It doesn't sound to me like the dog was being aggressive. The dog can't say, "Hey I've had enough...stop" so he told him to stop pulling his tail the way I dog can.
In this case, no, I wouldn't have the dog put down.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #18
LoloLibia

Dang Star bites me all the time roughhousing but hasn't ever tore skin but I don't think he knows how sharp his teeth are

Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #19
Filmania

Its hard to say without seeing it or knowing the dog at all but my husband plays rough with Harley (shoving him around, smacking his face etc) and he has caught my husbands hand a time or two. Harley imediately stops playing and sits or lays down and even when my husband tries to continue playing Harley takes a minute before he will play again too. Its obvious he knows he wasnt supposed to make that much contact with his mouth (my husband does allow mouthing when they are rough housing, Harley just knows what is to much) so when he does its not really a big deal to us (he isnt allowed to start rough play, only people are that way theres no issues with the wrong person getting bit and he is good about the rules)
So its hard to say. My son pulled Harleys tail recently (dragging him backwards on our wood floors, a HUGE no-no that I dont think he will be trying again anytime soon) and Harley spun around quickly clearly not happy (ever since his tail was smashed in a car door he doesnt like it messed with, I have gotten him back to being ok with it being touched and rubbed but pulled is still a no-no) but he didnt even snap at my son. The fact that the dog acutally bit as opposed to spinning around or snapping with little/no contact first makes me wonder. But if they were playing rough maybe the dog was just worked up and over did its 'correction' so to speak. Hard to say without seeing it but if I didnt feel it was intentional I would give the dog a chance but probably say no more rough play anymore incase it is an issue with the dog getting to worked up.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #20
crestosssa

I can't say what I would do in the particular example. However, I know my dog well enough that I would know without a doubt whether it was an accident or an act of aggression.Just knowing what the OP posted,I'm leaning more towards it being an accident or the dog just getting a little "carried away" and wouldn't have the dog PTS.

---------- Post added at 04:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 AM ----------

My brothers dog accidentally bit me in the ass once while I was playing rough with him.It hurt like mofo,but I know he didn't mean to.

Reply to Thread New Thread