LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
jgztw2es

Default I just had to laugh, my goodness. (Dog related, NPBR tho)
Woman in my office, reading some news article on her computer this morning:
"Oh my goodness!! Did you all know shar peis are aggressive?!"!

Me:
"I've never been around them so I don't know. Why do you say that?"

Woman:
"Apparently, a rabid fox was in a neighborhood and bit some kids and a woman, and their shar pei attacked the fox and killed it!! I had no idea those dogs were so aggressive. I'M NEVER owning one!!"

Me:
"Umm...doesn't that make the dog somewhat of a hero? I mean, it didn't bite anyone but it killed a rabid fox who bit its owners. It was protecting its family..."

Woman:
"a dog? a hero? HAHAHAHAHAHA. it's still aggressive, it KILLED a small animal. How terrible!"

Me:
"Yeah...it killed a small animal who sent its OWNERS to the hospital. What's the difference between the dog killing it, and Animal Control killing it? Either way, the rabid fox needed to die...no?"

Woman:
.................................................. ..........................

(Idiot. LOL)

Thanks lady for my daily dose of stupidness this morning!! and for a good laugh, ya wacko!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
KJnbceja

Thanks for sharing.....some people never cease to amaze me....

Old 10-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
GenManagerS

Wow. I'd hate to see what happened if she ever got a dog who saved her life from a wild animal. Or a cat that brought home a bird...

Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
gymnAnemoe

LOL, I saw that story on the news. Good for the Shar Pei.

Every Shar Pei I've met has been really iffy with people. They love their owners, but are generally pretty weary of strangers. Only good thing is that if they try to nip at you, it's hard for them to make contact with their skin because they have a hippo nose.. ask me how I know LOL.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
OgrGlgHu

You only get a DAILY DOSE??? I wish I were so lucky. Feels like every other person abuses their right to have a dumb moment.

My grandparents have always had Shar Peis. 2 were rescues and 1 was from a breeder (all had at separate times). They were all great dogs. They would bark at people outside but once the person came in, they were fine. On a leash, they were fine.. Not HA at all.. They weren't really DA either. Their first one, Aggie, got in a horrible fight with my uncle's GSD mix when they were left alone together (yes, big mistake). Both dogs survived. My grandparents and uncle never left them, or future dogs, alone together again.

The woman you work with is clearly special.. Very very special.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
sbrpkkl

"The origin of the Chinese Shar-Pei can be traced to the province of Guangdong and has existed for centuries in the southern provinces of China. These dogs helped their peasant masters with various tasks, such as herding cattle and guarding the home and family, and have proven themselves to be qualified hunters of wild game—usually wild pigs—and, of course, they were used for generations as fighting dogs by the Chinese nobility, although the practice became rarer after the communist revolution, when such activities were seen as the preserve of the decadent classes."

While I am not a big fan of the breed, I can see how its origins would lead a dog to not o much like strangers and be ready to kill a fox. How sad that when a dog does its job by killing a dangerous animal or vermin it is seen as "aggressive".

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Or a cat that brought home a bird...
Right! Wonder if this co-worker (who is too stupid to live and I am amazed she has the intelligence to hold a job) would euth a cat for doing what cats do.

I had a neighbor cat who was in love with me and would bring me his kills and leave them on the porch. Sometimes he would even sit there next to his kill and meow until I came out and praised him,lol. I miss that cat.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
EvonsRorgon

LOL, I saw that story on the news. Good for the Shar Pei.

Every Shar Pei I've met has been really iffy with people. They love their owners, but are generally pretty weary of strangers. Only good thing is that if they try to nip at you, it's hard for them to make contact with their skin because they have a hippo nose.. ask me how I know LOL.
this is the only breed of dog i have ever been bitten by! i got bitten on the hand. i was working in a grooming facility at the time and was getting the dog out of it kennel to be bathed. the dog gave no warning signs at all just got me. i still have a scar from it. then when i went to work at the animal hospital i was a little nervous around them but luckily we only had 2 that came in and they had to be muzzled due to their behaviors to strangers (us).

Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
9wQlZkIj

Shar Peis are HA. It is part of the breed. They were used for guard dogs also, hence the need for the HA. People overlook that because they look cute.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
jgztw2es

I wonder if my co-worker would have thought the same thing, say if the dog that killed the rabid fox was a black lab or a golden. hmm.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
rasiasertew

I've been around a few Shar-pei's and they were all standoffish with people.
I like their "look" but I can't pet them. Their hair causes me to have a rash if I come in contact with it......

Old 10-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
rionetrozasa

Just saw this!!! lolol....

Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #12
TeapseTic

pity you couldn't arrange to have a rabid fox sent to your co-worker.

I think she would find it...enlightening.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
ElcinBoris

As an old ER nurse, I wonder if she would have found the series of injections for rabies more...pleasant.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
xADMlNx

People are so stupid.

My Mom's old boss bred and showed Shar Peis.

They had 2 females and one male. The 2 females hated each other and would have killed each other if left alone. The male was a mush. I loved playing with the puppies.

They had to have their eyes stitched open b/c the wrinkles were so heavy on the pups, they couldn't hold their eyes open. And are prone to a lot of skin issues.

I liked their personality, but their hair made me so itchy, I couldn't stand touching them. I broke out in a rash every time I touched the adults.

Reply to Thread New Thread