LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
Klavalala

Default Any Ideas About Our New Addition?
We have had Red (she is 2.5 years) for 2 weeks tommorrow and we love her so much. We rescued her from Austin Pets Alive. We met her and it was love at first site. We wanted a friend for our boxer/pit bull - okay really we live on a ranch and we always have room for one more. We have done so much research (which is how I joined this forum) and haven't found any answer to the breed she actually is - not that it matters she is part of our pack now. Anyways the rescue place said she is pit bull terrier mix, Dogue de Bordeaux/Bulldog, French. We have looked at each breed indivdualy and see that yeah she could be that but its like we are the only one that has this mix of breed.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
HedgeYourBets

She's a cutie. She reminds me of my old foster Roxy who was an APBT X Boxer X DDB. I'm always kinda hoping they will bail on her and I'll get her back, but they are awesome and it will never happen.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
exchpaypalgold

She looks like maybe a Boxer/APBT mix. She is pretty!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
Spongebob

aww I love her ears, How big is she?

Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
deackatera

It's awsome that you rescued a dog, but...

It is generally a very bad idea to get a dog for your dog...especially in bully breeds and mixes.

I'm not sure what research you did, but you should check out the stickies on this forum (stickies are permanent threads located at the top of each forum section).

If you had researched pit bulls, you would know that they tend towards dog aggression, and require a great deal of "extra" responsibility to own at all, let alone in multiples.

There is NO way ther is any Dogue in your pup. Dogues are mastiffs, huge dogs, she appears to be tiny.

I suppose there's some remote possibility that she may have French bulldog in her, but highly unlikely as Frenchies are a rare breed, as are English bulldogs (though not AS rare) so either of these are unlikely.

I see a bit of Boston terrier possibly, but it's also possible she's a "pure bred" "pit bull" who is simply not bred to standard...though she looks like one of those Ambully "pocket pits".

As far as shelters and rescues labeling dogs:

A) They are staffed by humans. Humans that like animals, but humans never the less. Just because a human really likes something, or even has a lot of experience with something...does not automatically make them good at visual identification. I have seen tons of animals hillariously mislabeled by folks at shelters and rescues.

I've seen a purebred red Doberman (ears cropped and all) labeled as a weimeriener, I guess because the dog was red and had a docked tail...nevermind weim's don't have tan points...or look anything like Dobies.

I've seen a purebred Basset hound labeled as a Dachshund mix, and a pure bred Chow Chow listed as a Pit Bull.

B) Shelters and rescues sometimes intentionally mislabel dogs to increase their "adoptibility". Sometimes they will drop any indication that the dog may be of bully ancestry, they become Lab mixes, boxer mixes, hound mixes, etc., etc.

Sometimes shelters get a little overzealous and start claiming all kinds of fancy rare breeds go into the dogs they find. Like French/English bulldog mixes, rare Mastiff mixes (Neopolitan and Dogue being the most popular), etc., etc.

If you can get more pics (larger too) of her standing up, from the side and from the front, we can get a better idea. It's very hard to tell anything at all from a dog that's sitting down facing the camera.

All you can see is the face. We need to see how she's put together.

Honestly though...it doesn't really matter exactly what she is or is not mixed with...she's deffinately got a predominant amount of bully breed in her...and that means you need to be extra careful and prepared for dog on dog aggression.

Be prepared that at some ppoint, the two dogs may not be able to be near each other AT ALL without trying to fight. You may have to keep them seperated 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

That's a worst case scenario, though.

No matter how well they seem to be getting along NEVER, EVER leave them alone together without adult human supervision. NEVER.

That's rule #1 for bully owners.

You mentioned you have a lot of space...I hope you're not letting them run your property together without your direct supervision.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 AM ----------

Bottom line is that the labels shelters and rescues put on their dogs can be next to worthless.

Some incorrect labels are honest mistakes made by folks that simply couldn't tell the difference between a pit bull and a mastiff if they were standing right in front of them.

Some are elaborate lies to make the dog seem cooler or more interesting, or to make the dog seem less frightening and easier to adopt out.

Has anyone else noticed this trend of labeling dogs with fancy rare breeds more and more?

It's not a "shepherd mix"...on no, that would be way too boring...it's a Belgian Malinois cross.

It's not an American Eskimo mix...no way. It's an Alaskan Klee-Kai cross.

It's not a pit bull/sheperhd mix...uh uh. It's a Dutch Shepherd.

It's not a Rhodesian Ridgback mix, no sir. It's a Thai Ridgeback cross.

It's not a poodle/terrier mix...it's a Chinese Crested cross.

It's not a Boston Terrier mix...it's a Rench bulldog cross.

It's not a pit bull mix, it's a Dogue de Bordueax cross.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Klavalala

Thanks for the info and yes I know that the two dogs will never be together without supervision. My other dog is a boxer / pit bull mix so a double no no. We have just started to let the two be in the living room at night and it has gone pretty good. Red sleeps and the boxer plays. Since we just got Red she isn't allowed off the leash in the yard until we are sure of her actions. We have chickens, goats, and a donkey in pens that she can reach in the yard so we are slowly introducing. And Red and Paddy (boxer) are never in the yard at the same time. We have started the pack walk on leashes and it is going well - Red gets real tired though! And she is 46 lbs.

Reply to Thread New Thread